Sign in to follow this  
luvswrestling55

Additional pound for the state tournament?

All kinds of rumors about 1-3 pounds being given to wrestlers participating in upcoming KHSAA state wrestling tournament due to the weather, missing practice due to school closures, and just because the state moved the tournament out 3 weeks to no fault of the wrestlers. Most of these rumors have been generated by the wrestlers (big surprise). Anyone know the official word on this?

It's listed on the KHSAA site. 1 pound allowance (in addition to the regular two lb growth allowance) on Tuedsay. Then as per rules, an additional 1lb on Wednesday. So basically, a 106lber must weigh 109 or under on Tuesday, and under 110 on Wednesday.

With all of this crazy snow schools will be closed thru Fri and teams will HOPEFULLY be headed to Lexington on Monday-no more practices most likely -any chance the boys get ANOTHER pound now? Any word from State or coaches.

Why does everyone start asking for weight a week out. I know this was a big storm but it happens every single time. Kids just need to make weight. Heck at this point the boys will already be weighing in at nearly the next weight class on Wednesday. Always looking for a hand out. Just take some responsibility and make the weight you are supposed to make.

I get what you are saying Ranger and was surprised to find out that they already received a pound after the last storm. I think the weight advantage talk comes more from the boys that have dropped a wt class or two or some of the older guys trying to keep their wt down that count on practices to get down. Guys who are wrestling where they should be based on the wt table rules should make weight fine.

In all honesty kids actually do GROW we are talking High School kids the two lbs at X mas is fine for some but others actually need it and then some and an over two week layoff then followed up with more practices missed because of weather is not really that much to ask .as for taking responsibility I'm sure some kids have more access to rooms and training than some I have friends in KY who say their roads were never cleared from the last storm .

Again with the weight?  Sure seems like this is much more of an issue than it should be.  If all of the protocalls were followed...why is this a problem?  I agree with luvswrestling about the weight tables.  If they can't make it...then maybe they weren't following the wt. table rules...if they weren't following the wt. table rules...then I don't think it acceptable to punish the wrestlers that were by 'forcing' them to wrestle others that would normally be in another weight class

In all honesty kids actually do GROW we are talking High School kids the two lbs at X mas is fine for some but others actually need it and then some and an over two week layoff then followed up with more practices missed because of weather is not really that much to ask .as for taking responsibility I'm sure some kids have more access to rooms and training than some I have friends in KY who say their roads were never cleared from the last storm .

I definitely understand but answer honestly...if someone as dedicated as say ATM is bound to the house with no access to the gym for 3 weeks is within even 10 lbs of being over is there any way he isn't doing something at the house to keep his weight in line?  I'm sure the answer would be he finds a way to make weight even if it is 1000 burpees per day or jump rope or push ups with his dad on his back or something, anything. 

They have all been certified already Months back so they are the same weight so they wouldn't be in different classes , Not an issue in my house or with my kid . but I know Biology fairly well and it is wrestling kids Grow and they cut some grow more some less and even ATM grows so a lb for missing and a lb for time isn't much ,I wouldn't hold any other kid to ATMs level of dedication neither would you if you saw what he does every day .

The wrestlers who want to compete will make it. The KHSAA has already done us a favor by postponing the tournament and giving the wrestlers a pound. Asking for another, and complaining about the postponement decision is just a way to piss them off.

The wrestlers who want to compete will make it. The KHSAA has already done us a favor by postponing the tournament and giving the wrestlers a pound. Asking for another, and complaining about the postponement decision is just a way to piss them off.

Nah it ticks off people worried about giving up sise advantage .

I thought there was a maximum of 2 lbs , it would make 106 to be 110 both days instead of 109 Tuesday and 110 Wenesday.

I believe you are correct wky.

No worries here. But there is a weight class for a reason so why not have kids make it. Too many people are constantly looking for weight on a regular basis. Heck my kid spent 2 day at children's hospital the week of region and didn't get to practice. Why not get weight?

I thought there was a maximum of 2 lbs , it would make 106 to be 110 both days instead of 109 Tuesday and 110 Wenesday.

Taken from the KHSAA site.  Maybe I'm not interpreting this correctly

Initial Weight on March 10

• A one-pound growth allowance for each weight class will be granted for the first day of the tournament, March 10.
  • An additional pound will be granted to each class for those wrestlers remaining in the tournament on March 11.
  • Per NFHS rules, no other allowances will be granted.

the flipside of this argument is why are you really worried about a kid weighin one pound more than your wrestler? is it really gonna prevent the best wrestler from advancing??

I hated cutting weight more than anything so I'm all for an extra pound.

Rjs I think what wky was saying (and I agreed) was that if they gave another pound allowance (so 4) for day one, per nfhs the second day would not get another pound.

the flipside of this argument is why are you really worried about a kid weighin one pound more than your wrestler? is it really gonna prevent the best wrestler from advancing??

I hated cutting weight more than anything so I'm all for an extra pound.

Again, I'm not worried at all. But where do you draw the line? So scratch + 4 is ok? Why not +5 or +6? Kids missed multiple days this week.

The kids who are true competitors will make sure they are on weight.  The dedicated wrestlers have been working out and will make weight.  It all depends how much the kids really want it.  If they want it bad enough they will make weight!

Rjs I think what wky was saying (and I agreed) was that if they gave another pound allowance (so 4) for day one, per nfhs the second day would not get another pound.

Again, I'm not worried at all. But where do you draw the line? So scratch + 4 is ok? Why not +5 or +6? Kids missed multiple days this week.

Don't think anyone suggested or advocated for +4, +5 or +6 so there's not really need to draw a line.  The issue was to add one pound due to weather, 2+ week delay and lack of practice opportunities and I think its a smart move and will in no way affect who ends up on the podium.

Actually that is the whole discussion. We are already at scratch +3. So any additional allowance would be +4. If that was okay when all we knew was practice was missed on Wednesday then why not +5 or +6 considering there were probably cancellations Thursday and Friday. Then some kids actually get to weigh in a weight class up.

New Jersey did add +3 for their state tournament this weekend. They realize not all kids have the same opportunities to get practice workouts in and werent worried about how far from scratch the kids would weigh. More about putting the health of kids first. Yall sayin "if you're tough then make weight" and "if you really want it you'll get down" either never had to cut weight safely or just don't know how tough it is for a growing kid with hormones to fight against your body to maintain low weight for 3 weeks with hardly any mat time and intense practice. Just don't know why a coach would complain about the khsaa giving one pound for Friday and another for Saturday. Not a big deal and kind of a no brainer at this point.

Because I know it is generally speaking the people who aren't doing it safely that are looking for the additional weight. As a coach one of the first things I ask a kid when he considers dropping weight is "what will it be like at the end of the season?" Not November or December but state time. And I've cut plenty of weight myself and watch my own kid do it the right way. If scratch +2 was ok 2 weeks ago, and we are talking about the kids who manage their weight right, scratch +3 should be fine. Aren't discipline and hard work and overcoming adversity some of the great traits we learn in this sport. Not looking for someone to bail us out.

In the end the KHSAA is going to do whatever they do. I won't cry about it. But to give weight next week for missed practice this week sets a bad precedent that could create a lot of headaches in the future. Now half of the events around the state will be giving weight because someone will be out of school somewhere and kids won't truly make weight half the time.

Sign in to follow this