Sign in to follow this  
tja

Top ten freshmen

In no particular order...

Saul Ervin, Ty Tucker, Adam Bender, Ryan Moore, Mason Smith, Trent Johnson, Zane Brown (8th grade), Kevin Vasquez, Konnor Kraeszig, Micah Ervin (7th grade).  I included middle school wrestlers because there's just not a lot of quality freshmen outside of 106.

Trent Johnson

Blake Gamble

Ray Irving

Blake Denny

Tristan Garcia

Kevin Vasquez

Ryan Moore

Mason Smith

Diion Leavell

All seem like some solid freshman. Of coarse some are much further along, but good future for ky wrestling

This list is of course incredibly slanted towards the lighter weights where wrestlers are predominantly freshman or sophomores. With Zane Brown and Trent Johnson being the exception that you guys have posted. Zane should be a 5 time state finalist. How about the kids that are having success in upper weights despite their age?

Ray Irving

Jacob Bratcher

Dylan Gray

Jack Lucas

Max Powell

Nathan Prosser

Cody Rountree

I realize I didn't list 10 I was just trying to expand ideas lol

In no particular order...

Saul Ervin, Ty Tucker, Adam Bender, Ryan Moore, Mason Smith, Trent Johnson, Zane Brown (8th grade), Kevin Vasquez, Konnor Kraeszig, Micah Ervin (7th grade).  I included middle school wrestlers because there's just not a lot of quality freshmen outside of 106.

Bullet board material right here boys... Motivation for the freshman out there competeting at state that aren't on this list. Use statements/opinions like this to motivate you and push you forward to prove the nay-Sayers wrong... It's how our world is geared unfortunately. But the beauty of this is you can prove them wrong. Good luck to all of the wrestlers competeting at state, the un-recognized freshman as well as all of the upperclassman!

Henry Clay freshman Brandon Miller 106 - should place

Henry Clay freshman Tyler Storck 120 - should place (at #21 he has upset the #9, #10, and #14 wrestlers this season)

How am I a naysayer?  I listed everyone 9th grade and below ranked inside the top ten, without just going down the whole list at 106.  I do think Miller and Wallace at 106 are good wrestlers and deserve to be on the list but unfortunately the criteria was the top ten.  I do think that being a freshman, or younger, and succeeding at the higher weights is worth more though, considering that most of the top guys are upperclassmen.  Did you look at the rankings?  Other than 106, there are only six wrestlers ranked in the top ten 9th grade and below.  Compared to years past I would consider this a down year for freshman, or that it's being dominated by older kids.  Nothing wrong with that, just the way it is.

How am I a naysayer? I listed everyone 9th grade and below ranked inside the top ten, without just going down the whole list at 106. I do think Miller and Wallace at 106 are good wrestlers and deserve to be on the list but unfortunately the criteria was the top ten. I do think that being a freshman, or younger, and succeeding at the higher weights is worth more though, considering that most of the top guys are upperclassmen. Did you look at the rankings? Other than 106, there are only six wrestlers ranked in the top ten 9th grade and below. Compared to years past I would consider this a down year for freshman, or that it's being dominated by older kids. Nothing wrong with that, just the way it is.

I think the idea for the post was make your own top 10 freshmen list. Not "freshmen in the top 10". That's what ranger rankings are for. And I think you're right we may not see any freshman state champs this year except for Saul and maybe Zane Brown (8th grader). But I don't think its necessarily a bad thing. Seems to me that maybe the star of Ky is improving and we may be getting closer (just a little bit) to the likes of Ohio and Indiana. Getting away from so many 4X or 5X state champs. Everyone is working hard year round now so the 8th graders and freshman who were becoming 4Xers before are no longer coming in and wiping the mat with everybody. Perhaps that is the case. That's my hope at least.

• Upvote 1

I think the idea for the post was make your own top 10 freshmen list. Not "freshmen in the top 10". That's what ranger rankings are for. And I think you're right we may not see any freshman state champs this year except for Saul and maybe Zane Brown (8th grader). But I don't think its necessarily a bad thing. Seems to me that maybe the star of Ky is improving and we may be getting closer (just a little bit) to the likes of Ohio and Indiana. Getting away from so many 4X or 5X state champs. Everyone is working hard year round now so the 8th graders and freshman who were becoming 4Xers before are no longer coming in and wiping the mat with everybody. Perhaps that is the case. That's my hope at least.

There always has been and always will be 4X champs around in the future. Even Ohio and the other big wrestling states have them. Both Steibers, Bo Jordan, Tomasello, just to name a few.  

in this years installment of freshmen making a run at a championship (All of which are their regions champ) include

106) Tylan Tucker, Saul Ervin

113) Ryan Moore

120) Zane Brown ( has to be considered a favorite when he becomes a freshman)

132 Mason Smith, Kevin Vasquez

138) Blake Gamble, Trent Johnson

145) Dylan Gray

160) Joe Jackson (Also a 8th Grader)

I see several chances at 4X champs out of this list. we will soon see

. Getting away from so many 4X or 5X state champs. Everyone is working hard year round now so the 8th graders and freshman who were becoming 4Xers before are no longer coming in and wiping the mat with everybody. Perhaps that is the case. That's my hope at least.

How many 4 times or 5 timers do you think Ky has.

There have been 6 4Xers

James Earl Hardin (KSB) 1964-1967

Robbie Clarkston (Conner) 1978-1981

Joe Carr (Woodford) 1993, 1995-1997

Isaac Knable (St. X) 1999-2002

Harrison Courtney 2006-2009

John Fahey 2009-2012

Soon to be Austin Myers (Campbell) 2012-2015

Only 1 5Xer

Brock Ervin 2010-2014

Your statement sounds like it is happening all the time.  

I find it interesting that the only time that a 4 or 5 timer has crossed years are Brock Ervin with Fahey and soon to be Myers. 

How many 4 times or 5 timers do you think Ky has.

There have been 6 4Xers

James Earl Hardin (KSB) 1964-1967

Robbie Clarkston (Conner) 1978-1981

Joe Carr (Woodford) 1993, 1995-1997

Isaac Knable (St. X) 1999-2002

Harrison Courtney 2006-2009

John Fahey 2009-2012

Soon to be Austin Myers (Campbell) 2012-2015

Only 1 5Xer

Brock Ervin 2010-2014

Your statement sounds like it is happening all the time.

I find it interesting that the only time that a 4 or 5 timer has crossed years are Brock Ervin with Fahey and soon to be Myers.

Well with 4 to have graduated in the last 6 years with Travis Sullivan being one match away from the list I would venture to say that that is more frequent than most other states. And Travis Sullivan and and Harrison Courtney were graduating 08 and 09, respectively, if I'm not mistaken.

There always has been and always will be 4X champs around in the future. Even Ohio and the other big wrestling states have them. Both Steibers, Bo Jordan, Tomasello, just to name a few.

in this years installment of freshmen making a run at a championship (All of which are their regions champ) include

113) Ryan Moore

145) Dylan Gray

Ok sure there are some 4xers in dominant states but you just named some of the best wrestlers to ever wrestle. John Fahy and Harrisson Courtney are amazing but if we're being honest it's apples and oranges compared to H&L Stieber and Bo Jordan.

My point is there will always be phenom's about,  and I do not see that as a detriment. It does not imply the rest of the state is inferior.

They are all around in other states too. Sam Krevis, Anthony Ashnault, Chance Marsteller, I could go on and on. Do you think that

because David Carr won state as a 8th grader the competition was not that great? the 2X Champ he beat is now a D1 wrestler.

Austin Myers is about to become our next 4Xer, and just because no other werstler in the state could beat him in 4 years does not mean the the state as a whole is weak. Austin is one of the nations finest and would have been a 4Xer in most other states too.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There always has been and always will be 4X champs around in the future. Even Ohio and the other big wrestling states have them. Both Steibers, Bo Jordan, Tomasello, just to name a few.

113) Ryan Moore

145) Dylan Gray

You forgot Micah jordan

Micah Ervin would not have made my list because he is not a region champ (yet) I'm sure by the time he is a freshmen he will also be vying for a championship.

I do not think Brock or Austin take a back seat to any 4 xers from elsewhere , Logan Steiber a phenom even for state champs and beast in all styles JORDAN NEVER ATTEMPTING FREESTYLE OR GRECO KEEPING HIM FROM BEING ON Steibers level .Fahy could have won four in many states as well I'm sure .No apples and oranges ,four xers .

Sign in to follow this