Sign in to follow this  
NO-OX 1

SNOW!!!

2015 Wrestling Weather Update

As of February 17, 9:00 a.m. (ET) - The State Wrestling Tournament, to be held in Lexington this weekend, is still on schedule as of this time. Please continue to check khsaa.org for ongoing updates.

This is straight from the KHSAA website.

A lot of schools used to head down a day early and practice with their team only at a local school before heading over to check weight at the venue. Using a schools facilities is not a scrimmage.

Half the state will not have school this week at all and will have no facility to practice. Add two pound weight allowance. No kid should have his season or career end bc a once in 25 yr snow storm kept him from cutting weight. I would support rescheduling if I knew it could be done easily but that is probably not happening no matter what.

I don't agree lack of scholl should equal weight allowance.  There are plenty of things kids can do at home to keep the weight down (burpees, jump rope etc.).  People in prison manage to get ripped without equipment afterall.

I was just told if the school district does not allow the kids to practice on days they are off due to weather (has to be school policy) then everyone will be allowed 1 pound (every wrestler in the state). This is how I understood the person.

I would not say train together, but with their own team at a site I would say is probably ok. I'm checking with my a.d. and going to see if he will allow us to have other teams come in on Thursday so they could get mat time in.

KHSAA rules state its illegal, Its not like back in the old days when Jtown Waggener and Central would practice together or when Eastern and Fern Creek would practice together in the 90's. 

I don't agree lack of scholl should equal weight allowance. There are plenty of things kids can do at home to keep the weight down (burpees, jump rope etc.). People in prison manage to get ripped without equipment afterall.

These are kids. you ever been to the Mtns of ky? There are kids that won't be able to access a road for 5 days. If you're really worried about a kid weighing in 2 lbs heavier affecting who wins state title then I don't know what to say. The wrestler who has the best technique, muscle fitness and cardio will still do what he has to do this weekend to win. I think it's reasonable and fair to make exceptions when areas of state get nearly two feet of snow and the whole state is covered.

KHSAA rules state its illegal, Its not like back in the old days when Jtown Waggener and Central would practice together or when Eastern and Fern Creek would practice together in the 90's.

I know you can't "together". But if I'm allowed, I'm willing to open my mats up to other teams to practice. Not with my team or others, just on there own at my facility.

1 lb makes sense.  I don't think I've ever seen a 2 lb allowance.  I think KHSAA should at least meet to discuss the possibility of a 1 week postponement, but I think that is unlikely to happen.  What are the rules for athletics if say there is no school Friday?  I know where I am if the event is on a school day and the school is closed then the team is not allowed to participate.  That would be a shame.  Off the top of my head I'm sure there would be a lot of wrestlers missing from many regions, including all of 8, and most likely everything south of I64 in 7.

Very unfair to Ky. Wrestling to not reschedule. Many wrestlers that qualified will not be in attendance. I'm sure most counties will not release buses at all.  Many programs don't have the parent involvement to get these kids to state. Conditions outside are going to be horrible, but what do you think the average temperature on the arena floor will be. I'm know it would be difficult to reschedule but it can happen. We don't let these kids go to practice or school for their safety but we hold a State Tournament in the same conditions.  

At this point I just don't think it can happen.  The arena is booked for the following weekend as well.  It would have to be scheduled during the week.  It's probably too late to get another arena, and I would bet anything there has never been a contingency plan so we will get what we get.

Totally agree No-Ox. At this rate lexington will not have school this week. How can we expect johnson county and pike county to get to horse park if even those close by can barely manage. And I don't expect many districts to allow for bus usage or a single practice in their wrestling room all week. Factor in the artic temps and this is a once in a lifetime type weather event for much of the state. Reschedule the tourney.

Totally agree No-Ox. At this rate lexington will not have school this week. How can we expect johnson county and pike county to get to horse park if even those close by can barely manage. And I don't expect many districts to allow for bus usage or a single practice in their wrestling room all week. Factor in the artic temps and this is a once in a lifetime type weather event for much of the state. Reschedule the tourney.

Totally agree, but how can that happen?  The lack of communication coming from KHSAA is frankly astounding to me.  I would like to see KHSAA participation rules.  It's nice there has been a 1lb allowance communicated but how much of a problem would the weight be by now anyway.  I know many people are worried about the weight but particpants missing because of weight won't come close to the particpants missing because of the snow.  At this point I'd prefer to wait a week and use a high school with a secondary gym or something to get 6 mats.  At least that way there won't be an asterisk next to the record books for kids that place.

I'm sure Hardin Co won't get buses. Something as simple as getting funds from the school to pay for expenses can't happen because SCHOOL'S OUT because of conditions. I know of a very nice arena in Union County that would work. Delay 2 weeks. Think of the wrestlers for once!!!

I know for a fact that they will not be able to get the venue and will be out the money for this weekend.  KHSAA paid for the arena for this weekend in advance and I would bet ALTECH is not willing to refund any money.  Lets hope there is no more snow and they can get roads cleared. 

Sign in to follow this