Sign in to follow this  
tja

Caleb Austin

I always tell people nationally that Kentucky is a very underrated state, P4P I think we are better than Virginia. If our kids did more to get national exposure of their talents then people wouldn't look at me like I'm crazy when I say stuff like that haha

We're not better than VA, they're not with Ohio and PA but they're probably lower second tier, we're third if not the lowest tier. How do we compare with them at Fargo and NHSCA nationals?

• Upvote 1

We're not better than VA, they're not with Ohio and PA but they're probably lower second tier, we're third if not the lowest tier. How do we compare with them at Fargo and NHSCA nationals?

Virginia is skewed because they have teams like Christiansburg which churn out nationally ranked kids (which is easy to do when you go to Virginia Tech to train everyday). I rolled with and trained a couple state qualifiers/placers/finalists from VA and I was not impressed. From top to bottom Virginia is not as good as people say it is, at least not these past couple years. 

They were better maybe ten years ago when they had Martin still at Great Bridge. Cox and Grundy are tough too, all should have nationally ranked kids. How did they compare last year at Fargo and NHSCA's?

But dang his new team mascot is a Jack Rabbit.  lol  That does not sound too intimidating.  Are all Kansas schools mascots this benign?

Camels are pretty benign too but they spit.

• Upvote 1

This state comparison issue came up last year this time, but a dual team in KY wouldn't be nearly as strong as last year.  Generally speaking I think Kentucky's best can compete with anyone.  Where KY lacks is depth and experience.  KY doesn't have near the youth wrestling as the power states, nor does it have free or greco.  The last couple of years have been banner years as far as division 1 level of talent but when you lose Boston,Blackwell, Ervin, Fausz, Whalen and Lampe...not to mention Carr and the Lawsons, there is a dip.  We still have ATM of course, which may or may not be the best of the bunch, but on a national level I don't know where the state is.  I know Frankrone gave Dean a very tough match, but Dean is pretty much top 5 in Michigan at that weight.  I don't have enough knowledge of the younger guys to know 'who's next' so to speak, but it would be very interesting to hear everyone's thoughts.

We have a young group of youth kids who wrestle middle school that have went out and competed nationally that I truly believe once in high school well be very very good anyone who attended one of the bigger middle school tournament's or the middle school state tournament would probably second my opinion

I would differ that question to ranger I know union and multiple other schools sent their kids to a few of the preseason national tournament's and did fairly well

Along with the boys at UC that have placed at different national tournaments around the country KY has had youth wrestlers from Apollo, Shamrock, Walton Verona, Campbell County and Taylor County place at different national tournaments. I'm sure I've left some out but these are a few that I can quickly recall that have placed at national tournaments over the last 2 years and wrestled at middle school state this year. The majority of them are 6th grade and below too.

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this