Sign in to follow this  
cardinal2015

Wrestling in Bowling Green

We are looking into relocating to the Bowling Green area and need to know if there are any high school programs in the town or area.I haven't found much of anything on the web. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

No team in Bowling Green that I know of. No teams in any of the counties that touch Warren County that I know of.  Closest would maybe be Ohio County.  Its a wrestling blackout area of the state for some reason and really a shame those kids don't have an opportunity to wrestle in HS.

If you're looking to train until something pops...Father Ryan in Nashville has a great team/program. Nashville is about 45 minutes from BG. I realize it's TN in terms of state participation, but wrestling with and around those kids somehow would be a positive thing.

Never really understood why Bowling Green never has had HS wrestling. It's a very well populated area and there is most definetly some athletes down there. And it would be a huge plus for us in the western part of the state to have more teams closer by

But girls can wrestle so I  don't think its title 9.  I think its  a lack of advocates for wrestling in the area.  Former wrestlers in the school administration and teaching staff who would be willing to sacrifice the time and effort to start a program.  Lets you appreciate how fortunate those areas are that have started wrestling recently.

Barren County had a team. We started with the idea that other schools in the area would pick up teams. After 4 years, not a single school near us started a program. There were the constant rumors of all the schools that were "thinking about starting a team" yet, nothing ever happened.

At this point, they've put us on hold until other schools in the area start a program, and that's the last anyone has spoken of it.

I think the Bowling Green area has the potential, and that was the thinking behind starting a program here, but I think the deep seeded roots in football and the progression of students into specializing in single sports is a main cultural speed bump to overcome.  

Closest thing to BG would be Beaver Dam, they have a wrestling club, and so does Ratcliff. Clarksville TN has one also but that's an 1.5hr drive.

I reached out 8 years ago when we moved to BG from Indiana. I coached a youth program of about 30 kids and had 4 sons of my own. Was disappointed when I called the AD's in the area about interest. No interest at all. Could not secure a spot other then at a gym at a ball park east of town but it was owned by park and rec and if they couldn't make money off of us using it for practice then they was not interested, wasn't big enough to hold a tournament. I am in the process of moving to Georgetown and surrounding areas since taking a position at Toyota. The younger boys are excited because they can get back into wrestling. Hopefully I can help with a team or club to get back into it.

I did notice, Kentucky doesn't do much week day meets. Is there a reason why? I'm use to 2 days a week and Saturday tournaments in Indiana.

If I was a football coach I would push a wrestling team at my school...what are all the boys that don't play basketball gonna do for the next 8 months. Wrestling...keep them in shape for the next 6. Not to mention the skills and discipline you only get from wrestling.

I would love to see our state target Bowling Green as an area to expand our sport.  The number one greatest commitment to Bowling Green would be to hold our state tournament there for several years.  That would showcase the sport in that area, and it would also show the "powers that be" that wrestling brings good crowds and there is public interest. 

• Upvote 1

I would love to see our state target Bowling Green as an area to expand our sport.  The number one greatest commitment to Bowling Green would be to hold our state tournament there for several years.  That would showcase the sport in that area, and it would also show the "powers that be" that wrestling brings good crowds and there is public interest. 

It would be difficult to move the individual state tournament there but Stat Duels would be possible I would think.  Coach McCoy?

Sign in to follow this