Sign in to follow this  
bulldog-leader

Headgear

Is anyone else having a problem getting a headgear that has the hair cover attached?

It seems that Klif Keen is the only supplier of this item and they are sold out for the year.

I know that Ohio has removed this rule because of the unavailability to get the needed equipment. 

I have between 2-3 high school wrestlers and numerous middle school wrestlers that need this, and I am unable to obtain even one. 

Can anyone help me here. 

I just got some from here:

http://www.usawrestlingproducts.com/CLIFF_KEEN_Hair_Slickers_p/99416.htm

Every other place I've seen has them on backorder and not available until mid December

I just tried it.  They are out of stock. 

Lucky for us we will be wrestling in Ohio until we wrestle at Central High school after Christmas. 

Email that was sent out yesterday...

Sent: Monday, December 08, 2014 1:16 PM

To: Sosby, Tony (Bourbon County)

Subject: Wrestling Hair Coverings

This message is being sent to all Athletic Directors and Head Coaches in the sport of Wrestling.Please understand that this is being sent via automated system and replies may not be received by the Association :

HAIR COVERINGS

The manufacturers of legal hair coverings and wrestling ear guards have been alerted a year in advance of this rule change and some have chosen to modify their legal hair coverings accordingly. Below are the NFHS rules committee comments on this rule change:

"The NFHS wrestling rules define special equipment as any equipment worn that is not required by rule. Whenever a wrestler has hair that does not conform to the rule, a legal hair covering must be worn.The goal of wrestling is to have a continual match without interruptions except for normal out-of-bounds situations, the end of periods, etc. Legal hair coverings that are secured to the wrestling ear guards have less of a chance of coming off during the match than hair coverings that are not secured to the wrestling ear guards.This new rule will significantly improve the continuity of matches whenever a wrestler is required by rule to wear a legal hair covering".

Even with a years notice of this change, some of our schools have found themselves without the correct head gear due to being on "Back order" from the manufacturers.Because of the physical contact in the sport of wrestling, hair that does not meet the rule is considered a safety issue as it may pose a risk to an opponent. So the wrestler MUST have protective hair covering. As far as being attached, we will allow wrestlers to continue to use what coverings the have used in the past, until December 25th. After the date for growth allowance we will strictly enforce the rule for attached head coverings.

--

Michael J. Barren, CMAA

Assistant Commissioner

Kentucky High School Athletic Association

2280 Executive Drive

Lexington, KY 40505

(859) 299-5472

mbarren@khsaa.org

"If I take care of my character, my reputation will take care of me." D.L.Moody

So in other words.  Since Cliff Keen has is the only place that makes this headgear.  On their website it states that they are sold out for the season and will have new orders in the spring of 2015. Anyone who needs these hair coverings and does not already have one is S.O.L.  and will not be able to compete after Christmas.  What a great Christmas gift to many kids.  

Now as a coach -those of us who have to deal with a culture that dreads and braids are a way of life- we have to try and convince these wrestlers to cut their hair.  That will go over real nice for those parents who spend big money and time getting their kids hair this way.  Let alone if you have a girl on your team that would rather not have her hair cut like a boy. 

Firstly...this has been a phase in for 2 years now...no sympathy from me as it was published in MULTIPLE place last season through the KHSAA and NFHS that it was coming this season.

Secondly...it is possible to find them. Just have to dig. From what I understand, the state rules interpreter has ok'd the ones that loop through the headgear...so take the existing one, cut a hold for teh chin straps to loop in and you're set. I've seen kids already doing that this season and it's been approved. period.

Firstly...this has been a phase in for 2 years now...no sympathy from me as it was published in MULTIPLE place last season through the KHSAA and NFHS that it was coming this season.

Secondly...it is possible to find them. Just have to dig. From what I understand, the state rules interpreter has ok'd the ones that loop through the headgear...so take the existing one, cut a hold for teh chin straps to loop in and you're set. I've seen kids already doing that this season and it's been approved. period.

The officials I've encountered will not accept a cap that had has had slits cut in by the wearer.  The explanation I got was the rule state the equipment must be worn as designed, so if the caps aren't originally designed with the slots cut in, they were not legal.  And this has been at tourney's in Louisville and in Northern KY.  

And while I agree everyone should have been on this last year, it was never emphasized at any event I attended.  Plus the fact that all the suppliers are short on product, I don't think even they expected it to be this much of an issue or need.

I for one never saw the any publications of this rule.  I also never just peruse the KHSAA website or NFHS website.  Never once was it mentioned to anyone on our team from officials or such about it either. 

regardless of this.  The rule is simply to speed up wrestling not a safety issue. And when you have a school like ours who complain when we just want regular head gear (which we don't have a pair for every kid even now) its hard to ask for something that was not needed.  

If other state agencies have realized that the equipment is close to impossible to obtain ei. OHIO, and postponed the rule change until an adequate supply is available, why can't KHSAA do the same? 

We have cut holes in the covering when in KY events, but have been told it will not pass after Christmas. 

It's not like the few we have that need it are outstanding wrestlers or anything of the sort.  We just want them to be able to compete even if it is 2 and out.  We want to keep these kids wrestling and we would lose these kids if they are unable to compete. 

Sign in to follow this