Sign in to follow this  
Keepyourheadup

Youth state

Great job to everyone who had a hand in running this years tournament. From the Raiders coaches, parents and volunteers to the table workers from Scott Co that I talked with, I'm sure hundreds of others helped along the way as well. Great job !

Thank you to keepyourheadup for the compliment. Very nice of you! I would also like to say thank you to all of the NKY teams who again put on another fun Youth State. Darren, Matt and Jason you guys are a class act.

Thank you Matt, Jason, and Adam for putting it together. Great job.Shout out also to the purchase pounders you all have a good program going

I agree the work that Jason Matt Adam and Jory do is outstanding. All of pounder nation thanks you for your kind words it's been a great year for us.

Thank you to keepyourheadup for the compliment. Very nice of you! I would also like to say thank you to all of the NKY teams who again put on another fun Youth State. Darren, Matt and Jason you guys are a class act.

Thank you Braves Coach! I enjoy being a part of running this great tournament. Seeing the faces of all the kids during Face Off and them receiving the recognition they deserve for a season of hard work, is rewarding! The podium and awards ceremony is awesome. Watching the teams win a trophy in 3 different divisions is perfect! The new medals are really cool and I heard nothing but excitement out of the 2nd session kids when they seen their team mates from 1st session with them! Thank you to all the volunteers that worked the tournament. Your kids benefit from it and we owe you a debt of gratitude. Thank you everyone for another amazing season!! - Coach Darren: Raider Youth Wrestling

I didn't mean to leave you out Darren thank you for your time and hauling the Mats. Plus your awesome voice over the intercom. LOL

I still say you would look real good in WV blue

Once a Raider, always a Raider.  We are like the Bloods or Crips, the only way out is by death....and I know where Darren lives if he every tried to jump ship. 

A couple of observations I had from the tournament:

• I love hearing the reaction from families who are experiencing our state tournament for the first time.  I had a parent say "we've never seen anything like this before".  She then proceeded to post pictures of the faceoffs on her Facebook page describing how cool our state tournament is comparing it to the UFC.  No question, that family is hooked and will be wrestling next year and not playing basketball.
  • I love seeing how quickly a team like the Braves can burst on the scene and compete with the rest of the state.  It just proves that with a committed coaching staff, you can take even the smallest of communities and turn it into a wrestling powerhouse.  We're working on a Raiders/Braves merger right now....next year we will be called the Ravers.    
  • It was really cool to see volunteers for the tournament from all over the state.
  • Disappointed to see a plateau in our growth at the tournament.  I'd love to see some of the smaller teams show up next year with more kids.  I think we'll find easier and more significant growth from getting the small teams to increase their numbers versus getting more teams established. Plus, there is no doubt that as you increase your team's numbers, you will increase the quality of wrestling on your team as well.

You could be the "Braiders." That way you may get more girls out. ;)

Nice segue though, I think a real growth opportunity is with girls wrestling. The Miracle girl had much success in middle school and the program at Campbellville U. should be positive as well. As more girls compete, more and more will come out. We could have a generation of Rhonda Rouseys coming up.

We can't take the heat off the "big" programs either though when it comes to growth. I think the slipping of teams like Campbell and Conner (lower numbers than usual) are counter balancing some of the true growth we have seen with teams like the braves and purchase area.

I didn't mean to leave you out Darren thank you for your time and hauling the Mats. Plus your awesome voice over the intercom. LOL

I still say you would look real good in WV blue. Lol Keep Your Head Up!!! Cole and I only have Black and Orange in our closet!!But thanks for the compliment, we like all the WV folks!!!

Ranger123 you are right numbers need to keep going up with the new programs and the established programs need to keep their number going also.  Very impressed with the Braves coaching and have been able to get to know a few of them and I do believe they are doing a great job.  I have friends and family who give a big shout out to wrestling to any of their friends in other areas.  As with any sport there is always transition between years and I have to say the growth in more  KY youth programs has been exciting to see.   As far as the MAFIA goes......  maybe some will soon embrace what is really collaboration for the benefit of the kids in the sport itself.  State was great, love hearing Darren Thomas doing the great face-off announcements under the spotlight........ the wrestlers LOVE this just as much as the parents LOVE it!  I think it was wonderful to see many teams involved and working together to make the event heppen.  As with any event there are going to be bumps but if more  will get involved and communicate it will just get better.

Thank you bowlbear1. I enjoy seeing the excitement on the floor with these young wrestlers. Keeping them interested in our great sport is our job on the youth level.