Sign in to follow this  
sbfraz

Elementary Team Kentucky Trials Tournament

I know Jaydon could go 90 or 85 then if Tristan don't make MS team he could go 80 then we have Grandstaff twins and spencer and Cole and Tanner, Ian , Connor, Carter just a few off the top of my head. We gave plenty of talent in the state we could put a team together

I know Jaydon could go 90 or 85 then if Tristan don't make MS team he could go 80 then we have Grandstaff twins and spencer and Cole and Tanner, Ian , Connor, Carter just a few off the top of my head. We gave plenty of talent in the state we could put a team together

You are only mentioning Northern KY talent. There are lots of other kids around the state. Let's wait a little longer and see what other kids register. When we wrestle out of state in track tournaments, we typically see the vast majority of registrations come through on the last day because people are waiting to see where others go before they register.

At this point, no Louisville kids or Hardin County kids have registered, and only a couple of those NKY kids have registered. You don't have to pay until the day of the tournament, and you can login and change weight classes. No reason to wait!

You are only mentioning Northern KY talent. There are lots of other kids around the state. Let's wait a little longer and see what other kids register. When we wrestle out of state in track tournaments, we typically see the vast majority of registrations come through on the last day because people are waiting to see where others go before they register.

At this point, no Louisville kids or Hardin County kids have registered, and only a couple of those NKY kids have registered. You don't have to pay until the day of the tournament, and you can login and change weight classes. No reason to wait!

trust me I know that there is plenty of talent other places that's why I said that that was only the kids off the top of my head that's who I know. I also said there is plenty of talent in the state to put a team together. I wasn't trying to leave the other kids out I just don't know their names off hand except for my friends boys at trinity. I know they are good wrestlers.
  • Upvote 1

A couple things. First, the main purposes of this event are:

1) essentially have a wrestle off to determine the lineup

2) raise some money for team ky and help keep the cost down for the team

3) this will also be an opportunity to get many of the kids that will be competing as a team together

Second, I am amazed that there aren't more coaches and parents who would like to take advantage of competing against many of the kids registered.

I appreciate the efforts of everyone to organize, host, and put this together. Sounds like Taylor County folks have really stepped up. For that, I say thank you.

However, many kids play baseball, lacrosse or other springtime sports. Getting down there for the tournament is an all day affair. That may be why more Louisville kids aren't signing up.

Within 1 hour of Louisville and NKy are where 90% of Ky wrestlers live. Perhaps having the trials there in the future will attract more to enter.

Mad props to all those stepping up to represent the bluegrass.

whine, whine.  If you want to have the tournament where 90% of kentucky's best wrestlers are, just have it in union county.

other than that, campbellsville is central.  the issue is the lack of interest in youth team KY

• Upvote 1

I don't know about 90% of the best kids being in Union county. I'm quite sure there will be a handful of kids in Campbellsville this weekend ready and willing to prove that statement incorrect. :)

As for other sports, that is fine. Those kids won't be traveling with us anyway.

As for the location, you can't please everyone. I guarantee someone would whine no matter what burg or ville we held it in. The middle school national team requires travel on two weekends for "practice". We are essentially asking the same for this weekend but offering competition.

I really thought there would be more kids signed up for this by now.  So many kids compete in middle school but are young enough for this team and didn't place at Middle school State so I figured that would be a no-brainer.  I'm trying to help spread the word and tell more parents but I don't think our youth team gave out any information so I can only get the word out as best as I can.  My boy is in the 7th grade but meets the age so he is out of luck for this team but I'll keep trying to let parents know about this weekend and I will keep fingers crossed it gets more kids registered! 

A couple things. First, the main purposes of this event are:

1) essentially have a wrestle off to determine the lineup

2) raise some money for team ky and help keep the cost down for the team

3) this will also be an opportunity to get many of the kids that will be competing as a team together

Second, I am amazed that there aren't more coaches and parents who would like to take advantage of competing against many of the kids registered.

if it doesn't happen but I hope it does cause it would a great tournament I would still hope we could somehow put a team together.

It seems silly to me that the location of the trials tournament would be a barrier when it's to compete in Iowa.  On 2nd thought, maybe we could ask the Heartland Tournament directors to move the tournament to KY because it's closer for us.  JK

The team will come together either way. It would be best if it were determined in an open format (ie this event) so we don't have to hear about the northern ky mafia running and selecting everything. Glad to see some kids willing to travel and be part of a great thing (blue from Johnson and Briley Mohon from purchase area).

Speaking of purchase area, I didn't hear any of those guys complaining about traveling over 5 hrs to get to Lexington.

Is it possible with the low numbers to change it to just one session?  This would save some families some money if we held weigh-ins at 10:30 and just wrestled in the afternoon.  With 2 full mats we could still get through this very fast.

Thanks!! I appreciate the sarcasm--I guess it's actually not sarcasm.

I'm just saying maybe the population centers are a better choice. The goal is to get the best team. I agree those who are committed will show whether it's in Ashland or Paducah. Why does this state have to be so spread out!

I'd think getting two or three per weight class would be good. I bet many wait to the last minute.

I'm trying as hard as I can to get the word out with our middle school and youth team. Maybe making it a one session event would help?

Meanwhile BGW is thinking about having two teams due to overwhelming interest.

95 will be a fun weight class to watch. As of right now you have 3 middle school SQ and a 4th boy that won his middle school district but couldn't make it out of the region.

I am looking to sign up Jack at 85, but as others have mentioned, there are other spring obligations where I am worried about conflicts. I know I can get him to Campbellsville this Saturday and to Iowa in April, but the practices may be tough. Have we any idea on when and where practices might be, and if they are required?

Ok, based on some discussion we have decided to consolidate the sessions and push back weigh ins to allow more time for travel in the morning. The revised schedule for the single session will be:

Weigh-ins: 10:00 am to 11:00 am

Wrestling: will start as soon as brackets are finalized, shortly after weigh-ins

Shortly after wrestling is complete we will have a short team meeting to share information on the team and schedule.

Great Call! Can you explain the process we are using for brackets with 6 or less wrestlers? Will it be a round robin to create the fairest oppertunity. Also on the 8 man brackets, will that be a blind draw? I don't want my son having to wrestle Spencer Moore 1st round unless it was the stars aligning! Creating a finals match right out of the gate!! :) this post obviously is directed at Ranger!

• Upvote 1