Sign in to follow this  
Camel89

KY State Duals at Campbell County

Ranger. I respect your club and choice to wrestle kids in ms. That's awesome! My true youth comment simply meant we don't have a ms program. We are a 2nd year youth club. I will start a ms program next year then you can beat up on us. Lol. I am so thankful for the CYW program letting Ky youth clubs compete. That in my opinion has completely helped Ky wrestling

Ranger. I respect your club and choice to wrestle kids in ms. That's awesome! My true youth comment simply meant we don't have a ms program. We are a 2nd year youth club. I will start a ms program next year then you can beat up on us. Lol. I am so thankful for the CYW program letting Ky youth clubs compete. That in my opinion has completely helped Ky wrestling

That is great to hear. We've been anticipating that for a couple years. Already have you worked into district alignment plans. You have done a great job with the youth down there; expect nothing less with the ms kids. I'm sure they will compete just fine.

Just a few more tidbits on the "middle school team" from CC that wrestled yesterday. 16 kids who practiced and competed at least once with the ms team wrestled yesterday. 9 of them have losing ms records and a couple others are just above .500. So we didn't have a bunch of old kids and didn't bring in a bunch of ms level hammers.

And i made this a joke by doing what again?

[insert crickets, chirp, chirp]

Kind of like the response to putting your name behind an insult.

Floyd Central across the River from Louisville puts on a great youth duals. Union County and several of the Louisville/Oldham schools have gone there the last few years. It's the same setup.

We as coaches need to use our heads. 100 lb 3rd graders are usually "bigger" kids and haven't the athletic ability to compete with a 100 lb experienced 6th grader who is a fourth year wrestler. I'm not saying not to let the kids wrestle, just use our common sense to keep them safe.

More wrestling and events designed for youth can't be a bad thing. 11 and 12 year old 6th graders are certainly "youth" in my opinion.

As for the timing, I sent a message out to the listserve on December 10 with a flyer and weight classes. I know some coaches have experienced issues with the list serve (myself included) but I know a ton of coaches saw the message because I had a bunch of responses regarding working tables at state. And NO ONE contacted me with issues about anything until right before the event and that was one guy (and he is a raider so it doesn't count, just kidding).

This all sounds great. The other thing I think should be added is age and grade. IMO I don't see the need for a 7th grader to wrestle in a youth tournament. It should be K-6 plus the age cut off.

Most youth dual meets have both a age requirment 12u and grade cut off 6th grade. Not saying it's fair but that's how most but not all are ran.

Youth Duels can be a bit of headache but in the end most of the kids enjoy the different format from the normal tourney.  Every year Glen Este wrestles a Battle for 32 against Western Brown (youth vs youth, MS vs MS, HS vs HS) and my youth kids absolutly love it.  Even if they lose their match they still have a chance to win through the team.  As for weight classes get with Mason they do an excellent job at running Mason super duels and the weight classes are on par with most youth squads. 

Most youth dual meets have both a age requirment 12u and grade cut off 6th grade. Not saying it's fair but that's how most but not all are ran.

The youth regional and state tournament here in KY only use the age requirement.  No grade requirement.  There are many 7th graders that participate every year.

Yeah the grade thing makes no sense to me. Hold backs are so common these days. How can we argue with a straight face that it ok for a 12 year old 6th grader (who maybe was held back) to compete at youth but not a 12 year old 7th grader. In many systems those kids actually go to the same school.

After having time to cool down and look back at what I wrote I would like to apologize to coach Moore for making it personal. That was uncalled for and for that I do apologize. I still don't think it does anybody any good to match 8 year olds against 12 year olds. But I am sorry I let my anger get the best of me and I do apologize.

• Downvote 1

After reading all of this, the Team Kentucky Youth Trials are less than a month a way.  I owe you all a flyer (thanks sbraz) and will get one out soon.  No age groups, just weight classes so we can field the best team possible.  Looking to have practice facilities throughout the state for the month of March to get kids together.

Carr Wrestling Academy and Coach Miracle have volunteered to assist and possibly coach at the events.

For updated information:  There are over 40 teams from 27 different states going to the tournament in Nebraska.  We are hoping to take 2 teams.  It will be competitive.  We may lose some mismatches, but we will put Kentucky Youth Wrestling on the mat with the caliber of kids we have in this state.  

Would also like to send a team to Kingsport Tennessee on the same day to show the AAU National Duals what Kentucky has. 

Ranger did a great thing to get the ball rolling in the right direction.  He will be an instrumental part in helping me get this off of the ground. (By the way, I am in E-Town and not from NKY so that may hinder some of your mafia comments....they have let an outsider in)

Ranger will talk more on Saturday about the way forward. 

If a coaches biggest complaints in a year are his team is too tough, then he probably is doing the right thing with his team.  Good problem to have!

Heartland USA National Duals is K-6th

AAU in Kingsport is 1st-5th

We will run one trials team tourney and 1-3 have guaranteed slots.  Their grade will have some influence on which team they are on.  We will have some alternates that will go and get some matches at both events.

Sounds good Ky should be able to field a good group of kids to compete in these tournaments. I for one am glad Ky has decided to field these teams.

Rules are rules but just dont seem right a fifth or sixth grader that was born in 2001 can be eligible but a seventh grader the same age is ineligible cause hes in seventh grade.

• Upvote 1

Rules are rules but just dont seem right a fifth or sixth grader that was born in 2001 can be eligible but a seventh grader the same age is ineligible cause hes in seventh grade.

AGREED!!

After having time to cool down and look back at what I wrote I would like to apologize to coach Moore for making it personal. That was uncalled for and for that I do apologize. I still don't think it does anybody any good to match 8 year olds against 12 year olds. But I am sorry I let my anger get the best of me and I do apologize. 

We all do have to relearn the cooling off period.  Its an every other year thing for me.