Sign in to follow this  
Ranger123

KSWA Youth State Duals

Last call for participation in the KSWA youth state duals. Event will be held on Sunday Feb 2 at Campbell County High School. As of now we have the following teams potentially on board:

Campbell County

Raiders

Fern Creek

Shamrock

River City

Braves (Grant)

Taylor County

Madison County

SKY

Dixie youth

Apollo

I've had interest from a few others but no confirmation yet. Email Jason.moore@anthem.com for more info.

Same age eligibility as currently structured for youth.

Weight classes are the same as we will need to fill for elementary team ky this spring:

40,45,50,55,60,65,70,75,80,85,90,95,100,105, 110,120,130,140,160,190,230

Ranger123, there is still question about kids who wrestle middle school being able to qualify for wrestling youth.  Rumor around was that a new bylaw was put in for youth about kids who place top 6 at state for middle school not being able to wrestle for youth but most people haven't been able to find a copy of the bylaws for youth.  Nothing in middle school bylaws state anything so can you tell us if you know for sure what the rule is?

Bylaws are a whole issue in itself. We can't begin to cover that here.

Last season a rule was passed as you mentioned where top 6 from ms state were not allowed to compete at youth state. This year that was relaxed to top 4.

Bylaws are a whole issue in itself. We can't begin to cover that here.

Last season a rule was passed as you mentioned where top 6 from ms state were not allowed to compete at youth state. This year that was relaxed to top 4.

ha day late, dollar short!

I've also heard a few concerns about the structure/organization of this event.

If it makes anyone feel any better you can think of this as the Campbell County duals. My goal was to create some momentum around the dual meet format at the youth level. The only benefit from calling it state duals was to create some interest but it also meant $450 out of our profit to the association.

There is also some concerns about the weight classes. These weights are the weights we will be required to use when our Team Ky participates in the national duals in April. To me it is easier if we minimize the different weight systems we use, so rather than use another set of weights or create our own I used these (USA weights). The board has been in discussion about how we might adjust the team scoring to account for the fact that few teams have kids over 150 pounds at the youth level (many middle school teams are struggling to fill some of these weights). So don't let a few forfeits at the upper weights keep you from participating.

ELEMENTARY TEAM KENTUCKY

For the first time, the Kentucky State Wrestling Association will field an Elementary Team Kentucky to compete nationally.

The goal is to field three teams through a trial tournament to be held on 01 March 2014.

Two teams will be sent to compete at the Heartland USA National Elementary Duals

Tournament in Ralston, Nebraska.

An additional team will be fielded to compete in Kingsport, TN at AAU Elementary National Dual Tournament.

Each tournament has its own unique grade requirements and weight classes, so a tournament of overlapping or adjusted weight classes will be utilized to construct the teams.

Primary objective is to place in the top 3 of the tournament. Some 4th place finishers will be alternates.

TRIALS TOURNAMENT

When: 01 March 2014

Where: John Hardin High School

Who: Grades K-6th

Weight Classes: 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80, 85, 90, 95, 100, 105, 110, 120, 130,

140, 160, 190, 230

Top 3 Placers will be given first priority for

teams.

Heartland USA National Elementary Duals

Ralston, Nebraska

April 11-13, 2014

AAU Elementary Duals

Kingsport, Tennessee

April 11-13, 2014

ELEMENTARY TEAM KENTUCKY

For the first time, the Kentucky State Wrestling Association will field an Elementary Team Kentucky to compete nationally.

The goal is to field three teams through a trial tournament to be held on 01 March 2014.

Two teams will be sent to compete at the Heartland USA National Elementary Duals

Tournament in Ralston, Nebraska.

An additional team will be fielded to compete in Kingsport, TN at AAU Elementary National Dual Tournament.

Each tournament has its own unique grade requirements and weight classes, so a tournament of overlapping or adjusted weight classes will be utilized to construct the teams.

Primary objective is to place in the top 3 of the tournament. Some 4th place finishers will be alternates.

TRIALS TOURNAMENT

When: 01 March 2014

Where: John Hardin High School

Who: Grades K-6th

Weight Classes: 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80, 85, 90, 95, 100, 105, 110, 120, 130,

140, 160, 190, 230

Top 3 Placers will be given first priority for

teams.

Heartland USA National Elementary Duals

Ralston, Nebraska

April 11-13, 2014

AAU Elementary Duals

Kingsport, Tennessee

April 11-13, 2014

This should probably be started under its own topic.  We are talking about two different tournaments.

Is this a tournament that will require our kids to wrestle for a true second?  It seems like that is the only way to run this tournament.  

Campbell County duals were a joke. Third graders wrestling sixth graders, some competition. Accept for a couple coaches lost a lot of respect for the Campbell County program.

Campbell County duals were a joke. Third graders wrestling sixth graders, some competition. Accept for a couple coaches lost a lot of respect for the Campbell County program.

Because of my sons size he regularly wrestled 5-8 graders as a third grader. He is ten times tougher now and better for it. Wrestling older kids not always bad.

No it's not always bad if they have the same experience. But when your putting first and second year third graders against sixth graders with four and five years experience that doesn't do any one any good.

Camel89, I get what you are saying but this is a KY team state dual for youth so I think ( and I am not stating that I know for fact), that the goal was to try to get some of the youth programs in state to really bring the best of their line-up of kids that qualify to wrestle at youth ages.  That can include kids that wrestle for middle school also as long as they are within the age limit. 

The rules and restrictions for this event are the same that will apply to the youth region and state events. You wiil see many of these wrestlers in the youth region and state events. The only exception is that wrestlers who place top 4 at middle school state are not eligible to participate. Only 3 of CC wrestlers that participated today even qualified for the MS state tournament and 2 of those 3 are 5th graders. The other wrestler that qualified for MS state that participated today was a 6th grader.

IMO if their age is within the required age limit they should be permitted to wrestle. My son is in 4th grade and qualified for middle school state. If he doesn't place top 4(which he more than likely won't) he will be at youth state. I see nothing wrong with this as long as they fall within the required age limits.

Camel89,

You need to remember that only selcet teams were invited to the middle school duals.  And there are some teams that only had a few kids on their teams so should they be excluded?  If you have several teams with few kids on the team but within an area why shouldn't they be allowed to merge kids together for a team and allow them to compete as long as they are in the age limitations?  And if you want to say that all those "older kids" were disrespectful I beg to differ with you.  I along with many watched an "older, more expeirenced kid" go 3 rounds with a much younger kid and even took it into overtime knowing that the kid was much "younger and less experienced" just to give that kid an opportunity to not be disappointed.  IMO, it takes a lot for a kid who is competitive to take the time and heart to give that kid something that will make him not feel as if he was just "hammered".  I also saw many of the "older, more expeirence kids" after winning a match being very respectful to the other kid and telling them they did great.  If you want you kids to be more competitive you have to get them the mat time.  I personally allowed my kid who was in 3rd grade practice with a 3 time middle school state champ that is almost 4 yrs older than him toss him around and it made my kid want it more.  And I know of a boy who has been tossing around with my boy for the last few years when he was in 2nd grade and mine was in 5th and his parents love it along with the kid.  And that boy is now in 4th grade and placed and is going to middle school state this year.  So, hats off to him for his hard work, and to his parents for recognizing that it does take hard work and sometimes having to wrestle the "older kids".  Hats off also to CC for trying to bring a more competitive atmosphere to get our KY kids where they can get what some other surronding states have had for years in the way of competition in our "Own Yard" instead of having to go to OH for those things. 

It all depends on the kid and where they are in their thinking / mind-set.  Certainly we want our children to be challenged and "pushed" to an extent, but we also need to know what the child can handle.  Some younger athletes like having the opportunity to wrestle against the older kids because of their competitive nature while others prefer to keep to their own age group.  As they get older, they will need to "step it up", but there is no rush to do so.  (Of course, "older" is a relative term and can mean many things to many people.)  If the kid can handle it...great.  But if not, he may end up leaving the sport because he was promoted too quickly.  I remember the story of a three-time Indiana champ who didn't begin wrestling until he was around sixth grade.  His parents didn't push him although his father was an Olympic coach.  When Russia was dominating the sport, they often brought their boys up in gymnastics and didn't even allow them to wrestle competitively until around the same age.  We have all seen wrestlers crushed under the pressure of an overbearing parent, but we have also seen kids thrive when pushed.  The bottom line is what can the kid handle?

The rules for the youth events are the rules and, as a parent, I should familiarize myself with them.  If I, and my son's coaches, feel he can handle the competition...then he will compete.  If we do not, he will not and we will wait until a later time.  No shame or wrong in either approach.