Sign in to follow this  
IWIN

District cancellations

Has anyone had to cancel? Saw on the high school board that North Hardin had to cancel tomorrow's high school tournament. Wasn't sure if any middle school teams had been effected as well.

Yes McCreary County Middle will not be at the District eight tournament unless something changes, this is a shame for all the young men who have worked so hard this year. Good luck to the rest of the teams in district eight.

I hate that for the young men on your team. I hope something changes so they can make it. All kids who put in the hard work deserve to be able to wrestle when it counts.

I know Johnson County was made to leave today at 1 before the weather hit. If they didn't they were told they couldn't go.

I truly hate to hear that for the McCreary kids. That is just a bad situation. Makes a small district that much smaller as well. For those who are competing tomorrow, good luck and stay safe. In my opinion, champions aren't defined by the number of medals that they have. It is defined by those who make themselves put in the countless hours of work, make the sacrifices it takes to be at the top, and then be willing to step out there and compete win or lose for the chance of earning one of those medals. Now that's a CHAMPION!

Parents the District can not stop you from going to the tournament.  The only thing they can stop is the registered coach with the school.  If the host school has not cancelled take your kids and let them compete.

This is why all kids have a USA Wrestling Card. Parents can take them anywhere they need to go. The only enforcement the district can do is decline a bus and forbid a paid school coach at the school. Your Volunteer coaches with USA Wrestling coaches cards are covered also to go where they want.

Secondary Sports Accident Insurance:

• Coverage is secondary to primary medical insurance

• $1,000,000 maximum Accident Medical Expense benefit limit with following sub-limits:

––Accidental Dental – $100,000

––Physical Therapy – $100,000

––Orthopedic Appliance – $100,000

For Limited Folkstyle members in states participating in USA Wrestling's Tiered

Membership Program – limit for secondary sports accident coverage is $50,000

If you're not sure what level of membership you hold, please login to your account at

www.usawmembership.com or call our membership department at (719) 598-8181

• Claims must be filed with primary medical carrier first (if applicable)

• There is a $500 out-of-pocket deductible per injury.

––Payments made by insurance do not apply to your deductible

––Out-of-pocket payments that apply to your primary insurance deductible

count toward secondary sports accident deductible

• Coinsurance rate is 80% / 20% on the first $10,000 after the deductible. Thereafter, claims

are paid at 100% up to the maximum benefit amount.

• Maximum out-of-pocket expense is $2,500 per injury ($500 deductible + $2,000 coinsurance)

Who is covered?

• Wrestlers, Coaches, and Officials holding USA Wrestling Membership

When does coverage start?

• When you have completed and paid for your membership online; or

• When the state association or its director receives both membership information and fees

When are members covered for Secondary Medical?

• At USA Wrestling chartered club practices

––Practices must be organized and supervised by a member coach

––All participating club members must be individual USA Wrestling members

• When participating in sanctioned USA Wrestling events and activities

• When traveling directly to, or from, USA Wrestling sanctioned events or chartered club practices

• While participating in non-sanctioned events

––Events must be formally scheduled, supervised, and conducted by a recognized sports

organization, association, civic group, or school and its rules must be in force

• Secondary Sports Accident coverage while at non-sanctioned events extends to:

––Member athletes – while competing

––Member coaches – while coaching

––Member officials – while officiating

What medical expenses are covered?

• Covered expenses are subject to usual and customary charges for

the geographic area in which medical service is provided.

This is why all kids have a USA Wrestling Card. Parents can take them anywhere they need to go. The only enforcement the district can do is decline a bus and forbid a paid school coach at the school. Your Volunteer coaches with USA Wrestling coaches cards are covered also to go where they want.

Yes it's USA, but if you have school team like I do, The school doesn't have to pay the entry fee if they choose not to. School teams like mine are at the mercy of the school. If the weather had been bad enough they could have cancelled our trip bus and only those who have parents willing to drive their children to the tournament would have been able to wrestle. Not every team is a club team. Fortunately, the weather wasn't bad enough to cancel anything down here at District 1.

Yes it's USA, but if you have school team like I do, The school doesn't have to pay the entry fee if they choose not to. School teams like mine are at the mercy of the school. If the weather had been bad enough they could have cancelled our trip bus and only those who have parents willing to drive their children to the tournament would have been able to wrestle. Not every team is a club team. Fortunately, the weather wasn't bad enough to cancel anything down here at District 1.

Agreed. But it helped the host teams with liability when a school may have concerns, and some teams that were able to travel in POV's and attend. The fee is another story. Sometimes it pays to have a club account. Not all schools, whether a paid coach or not support the wrestling program with $$. All in all, it does not help us any with bad weather.

My ? Is if it was districts or region for basketball would they be as quick to pull it out from under the kids

I think so.  I've seen plenty of basketball games cancelled.  The difference is Basketball is much easier to reschedule as games only take an hour and a half.  It's nearly impossible to make up a post season wrestling meet that takes 6-8 hours to complete.  Wrestling is alone in those regards (I guess swimming is too, but they don't share gyms with anyone), and couple that with the fact that most administrators aren't familiar with wrestling and how things work, it just doesn't get the special consideration it needs.  But honestly, post season or not, I still rather not have kids parents driving around in potentially dangerous situations.

I think so. I've seen plenty of basketball games cancelled. The difference is Basketball is much easier to reschedule as games only take an hour and a half. It's nearly impossible to make up a post season wrestling meet that takes 6-8 hours to complete. Wrestling is alone in those regards (I guess swimming is too, but they don't share gyms with anyone), and couple that with the fact that most administrators aren't familiar with wrestling and how things work, it just doesn't get the special consideration it needs. But honestly, post season or not, I still rather not have kids parents driving around in potentially dangerous situations.

very true good point