Sign in to follow this  
Mpire

NHSCA , grade level Nationals , Sr Nationals !!!!!

Stephen takes a loss , 5-2 , takes sixth , busted hand hurt shoulder , still won a match today and battled hard. . Think healthy he would have been third or better who knows great career and great way to wrap it up moving up a spot from last yr and ending up a sr ALL American , great job coach B and Faust and thanks to all the coaches who worked with the boys this yr every yr and the last few years ,

Thanks , a great weekend , sorry myself and everyone missed the Meade

County wrestler Chris Beeler a 3rd

Placer at state 113 hate to leave anyone out but it wasn't organized by the state and he snuck in on us he was in Soph and ha a rough one but to take this tournament on is saying a lot state champs and studs all over with around 2000 competitors or so , congrats to him on his efforts things like this will pay off for him !!!

How did the jr high kids end up !!!!

So KY sent some studs to Flo and to NHSCA. I heard some kids went to Iowa as well. If a kid is wanting to get noticed which tourney is the place to go? I know Flo was always THE tourney, but things have diluted out a little lately, so which one is it?

So KY sent some studs to Flo and to NHSCA. I heard some kids went to Iowa as well. If a kid is wanting to get noticed which tourney is the place to go? I know Flo was always THE tourney, but things have diluted out a little lately, so which one is it?

From what I have seen, USAW Folkstyle is the place for the younger (pre-HS) ages. For the hs guys both flo and nhsca have great talent and get a lot of exposure. I'm sure college coaches/scouts were all over both events. Nhsca does provide the better spring break vacation spot assuming the weather cooperates.

I guess as far as having more top ranked guys per weight-class FLO is the best. But NHSCA was really tough at certain classes too.  Both fantastic tournaments and a great showing by KY at both.

Congrats Myers Bros, Ervin and everyone else who wrestled this weekend!  You did the state proud.

Flo is only a couple years old, their goal is to be the major tournament at this time of year. Right now I still think NHSCA has slightly more prestige, at least at the senior level. But basically the two major offseason events are Dapper Dan and Fargo and college coaches will always be eyeing those two. The problem with Flo, NHSCA, and USAW is that they are all watered down because they compete with each other. Flo does film your matches for you and gives their champs a lot of publicity which is very helpful when it comes to attracting college coaches.

Flo Is only a few yrs old ??

Flo Is only a few yrs old ?? But backed by a very popular media outlet , NHSCA has been around for a long time and determines traditionally recognized all Americans at each level particularly Srs , I think flo hasn't even been around for 5 yrs !!! So it couldn't really always be the Tourny perhaps very popular since its inception , not sure about the others .

Flo's first year was in 2010. I would know, I went to it. I was one of maybe 3 Kentucky boys who won a match, I got a really lucky draw and had a scrub for my first consi match. I ended up losing to a kid by the name of Willie Bohince (or maybe it was Ryan) who is now a potential D2 National Champ next year. The first year there the general consensus was that there were plenty of good underclassman in attendance, but all the good seniors were at NHSCA. When it comes to publicity Bader and Joe love their champs and try to give them as much exposure as they can. But like I said at the bottom of the previous page, NHSCA is a lot more prestigious.

Dapper Dan is this upcoming week right?

Flo is only a couple years old, their goal is to be the major tournament at this time of year. Right now I still think NHSCA has slightly more prestige, at least at the senior level. But basically the two major offseason events are Dapper Dan and Fargo and college coaches will always be eyeing those two. The problem with Flo, NHSCA, and USAW is that they are all watered down because they compete with each other. Flo does film your matches for you and gives their champs a lot of publicity which is very helpful when it comes to attracting college coaches.

Yep, and what a bummer it is. I would love to see some cooperation between these events. Spread 'em out a little so a kid can hit more than one, assuming funds are available.

Yep, and what a bummer it is. I would love to see some cooperation between these events. Spread 'em out a little so a kid can hit more than one, assuming funds are available.[/quote

They talked to the Flo guys about changing the date, tying it together with Dapper Dan was a popular suggestion. But from what I know, the tournaments won't be fixing this anytime soon. At least all the studs will be at Fargo

Thanks , a great weekend , sorry myself and everyone missed the Meade

County wrestler Chris Beeler a 3rd

Placer at state 113 hate to leave anyone out but it wasn't organized by the state and he snuck in on us he was in Soph and ha a rough one but to take this tournament on is saying a lot state champs and studs all over with around 2000 competitors or so , congrats to him on his efforts things like this will pay off for him !!!

How did the jr high kids end up !!!!

I was only tracking two from KY. Roger Young Jr (119) from Meade Co. and Ryder Corbin (127) form FT Campbell. They both had very difficult brackets and both went two and out. Each wrestled extremely well and went down swinging. I was actually surprised these were the only two Jr High wrestlers from KY. I thought for sure more would have gone. I can only talk for my son (Roger Jr), He gained allot of knowledge and more respect for the sport. If anything he left more hungry and determined to return next year with a goal to place in the top eight in the Freshman Division. Roger SR.

I was only tracking two from KY. Roger Young Jr (119) from Meade Co. and Ryder Corbin (127) form FT Campbell. They both had very difficult brackets and both went two and out. Each wrestled extremely well and went down swinging. I was actually surprised these were the only two Jr High wrestlers from KY. I thought for sure more would have gone. I can only talk for my son (Roger Jr), He gained allot of knowledge and more respect for the sport. If anything he left more hungry and determined to return next year with a goal to place in the top eight in the Freshman Division. Roger SR.

I agree. Next yr I will be bringing a lot more kids. Our spring break was a week earlier so my parents did not want to take kids out of school for nationals.

I agree. Next yr I will be bringing a lot more kids. Our spring break was a week earlier so my parents did not want to take kids out of school for nationals.

So you only took Ki and Corbin? NHSCA's have to lineup with Easter Break at least once in my lifetime. They always happen right when I go back to college

Thanks for the update Mpire! Lets us know how bad ATM kicks Clenkois ass! And let us know how Stephan is doing

A great boost from home when some up north were predicting a loss for ATM , it matters , Stephen comes back strong with an AA at nationals after a bit of a letdown at state .

You can't ask for anything more than for your last High school tournament to be SR nationals and end up a SR All American ,went through High school making the podium at every tournament he ever entered national or not , I did my job he did his I wouldn't change very much an what I would I will with Austin , Stephen was a great leader for his brother for the most part now we will finish what we started long ago , it will be all out go NHSCA and another win for Austin next yr it gets tougher but so does he he wants Four at state and NHSCA , but right now he wants two from Fargo two placings wether they are both 8th doesn't matter a double AA is his goal now !

A great boost from home when some up north were predicting a loss for ATM , it matters , Stephen comes back strong with an AA at nationals after a bit of a letdown at state .

You can't ask for anything more than for your last High school tournament to be SR nationals and end up a SR All American ,went through High school making the podium at every tournament he ever entered national or not , I did my job he did his I wouldn't change very much an what I would I will with Austin , Stephen was a great leader for his brother for the most part now we will finish what we started long ago , it will be all out go NHSCA and another win for Austin next yr it gets tougher but so does he he wants Four at state and NHSCA , but right now he wants two from Fargo two placings wether they are both 8th doesn't matter a double AA is his goal now !

Any word on when Stephen will be making his college decision? This is one of the best classes Kentucky has had maybe ever

Mpire- I remember a few years ago I was hanging out with some people from Moe and said Stephan was already receiving info Cornell and Rutgers? I know historically Rutgers doesn't recruit outside of NJ or PA- any truth to this? You can shoot me a Pm if you like.

Stephen was getting a lot of interest from Stanford his fresh yr and the next kind of fell of when we came to ky it seemed a lot of schools that were interested in him changed , not going to lie I talked to Rutgers coach a bit and some other very nice schools , Stephen is a kid and feels he has to make his own choices , Columbia , U Penn Lehigh all showed interest not sure what the deal was perhaps moving to ky scared them or perhaps a loss at state did either way Stephen was still small even at 152 + 3 at NHSCA doubt he wrestles that weight in college at least a a fresh , he proved to me and everyone he can hang with anyone , he teched a two time state champ right of the bat at NHSCA and the oh posters reported he was the one who got teched , yet when he AA none of them said a word ,:) just not sure yet he has a lot of friends at Nitre dame but he has a lot of decisions to make . They seemed to think he was going D1 regardless not sure why but maybe he will , I know he can hang D1 or anywhere , he was never even majored in HS even as a fresh against a four time champ like Guillibon "penn State wrestler now I think "

Stephen was getting a lot of interest from Stanford his fresh yr and the next kind of fell of when we came to ky it seemed a lot of schools that were interested in him changed , not going to lie I talked to Rutgers coach a bit and some other very nice schools , Stephen is a kid and feels he has to make his own choices , Columbia , U Penn Lehigh all showed interest not sure what the deal was perhaps moving to ky scared them or perhaps a loss at state did either way Stephen was still small even at 152 + 3 at NHSCA doubt he wrestles that weight in college at least a a fresh , he proved to me and everyone he can hang with anyone , he teched a two time state champ right of the bat at NHSCA and the oh posters reported he was the one who got teched , yet when he AA none of them said a word ,:) just not sure yet he has a lot of friends at Nitre dame but he has a lot of decisions to make . They seemed to think he was going D1 regardless not sure why but maybe he will , I know he can hang D1 or anywhere , he was never even majored in HS even as a fresh against a four time champ like Guillibon "penn State wrestler now I think ".