Sign in to follow this  
purpleandgold

Lawson Brothers

Judging by the probable weight changes, Boston is likely to encounter either Brock or Blackwell next year. I'd put him as a slight favorite over Blackwell and a slight underdog against Brock. Just my observations from watching the 3 of them wrestle. Wouldn't that be something you got Brock going for 5 next year and Boston standing in his way. Talk about electricity in a building. Wow!

• Upvote 1

Judging by the probable weight changes, Boston is likely to encounter either Brock or Blackwell next year. I'd put him as a slight favorite over Blackwell and a slight underdog against Brock. Just my observations from watching the 3 of them wrestle. Wouldn't that be something you got Brock going for 5 next year and Boston standing in his way. Talk about electricity in a building. Wow!

Brock vs Boston would be absolutely amazing. This is a case where these two kids should be on seperate sides of the bracket. What a shame it would be if they met in the quarters.
  • Upvote 1

I would just like to point out over the last few years Mark Hall, both Lawsons came to KY with intentions of owning their respective weights and grabbing a state title before they entered HS.  All 3 were denied.  Throw in the most recent loss of Stephen Myers and I'd say KY has a done pretty well for itself lately.  You may come here and think your prep and training in Ohio or Michigan means a KY state title will be an easy feat.  NOT SO FAST.

..the lawson boys were in the 7th and 8th grade. I would say taking second at a state HIGH SCHOOL tournament is pretty damn good.

..the lawson boys were in the 7th and 8th grade. I would say taking second at a state HIGH SCHOOL tournament is pretty damn good.

How old are they ?

The younger one is 15 & in the 7th grade, & the older one is 16 & in the 8th grade! Pretty crazy!

I might be wrong but that's just what I heard from a reliable source in Woodford Co.

The younger one is 15 & in the 7th grade, & the older one is 16 & in the 8th grade! Pretty crazy! I might be wrong but that's just what I heard from a reliable source in Woodford Co.
That is false their ages are what they should be for a 7th and 8th grader

Your reliable source isn't so reliable. Quite sure the 8th grader turned 15 this school year, and the 7th grader is 13.

Isn't 15 as an 8th grader pretty old? I was 15 as a sophomore.

I'm 100% indifferent on this situation. I do however believe that this is quite common. There have been some very successful wrestlers here in KY that have been held back. If parents are playing within the rules, no matter how we feel about it, there isn't a lot we can do about it.

Everyone has to do what fits there situation. I don't fault or condone this decision. Like I said, I'm indifferent. Because of my sons birthday, he will be 17 his senior year when he wrestles at State. I've pondered the idea of holding him back, but he is extremely smart. It would make it extremely difficult to justify doing this for athletic reasons only. If he was struggling at all with his school work, it would be a no brainer for me. As it is, holding him back isn't an option. But that's our situation, not everyone else's.

• Upvote 1

My wife has been a middle school math teacher for 18 years. She says- now keep in mind this is anecdotal research, with no control group or scientific method- that boys that are at least 14 in the 8th grade do better in Algebra than boys who are 13 or younger. They also are more mature acting in class.

This does not translate to girls.

We will be holding back our grandsons (when we have some) based on her observations.

• Downvote 1

15 should be a sophomore. 13 should be an 8th grader. Start kindergarten at age 5 usually so do the math and that's what you get. Didn't Mark Hall get held back and repeat 7th grade again after he moved to Apple Valley? People get held back all the time, which isn't that uncommon.

15 should be a sophomore. 13 should be an 8th grader. Start kindergarten at age 5 usually so do the math and that's what you get. Didn't Mark Hall get held back and repeat 7th grade again after he moved to Apple Valley? People get held back all the time, which isn't that uncommon.

What you said is very true, but a little deceiving. Most kids start kindergarten at age 5, like you said, but they will also turn 6 sometime during the school year. If you go by that logic, an 8th grader could easily be 14, if he was held back 1 year, he could be 15.

Everyone has to do what fits there situation. I don't fault or condone this decision. Like I said, I'm indifferent. Because of my sons birthday, he will be 17 his senior year when he wrestles at State. I've pondered the idea of holding him back, but he is extremely smart. It would make it extremely difficult to justify doing this for athletic reasons only. If he was struggling at all with his school work, it would be a no brainer for me. As it is, holding him back isn't an option. But that's our situation, not everyone else's.

Hammer, meet nail. I agree with the above. My oldest was always one of the youngest in his class. We discussed holding him back, because he was not physically as mature as the others. Always one of the smallest. Thoughts of holding him back were dropped when we found wrestling. Funny how things worked out. The age thing never came up again until junior year of college. He did not turn 21 until the summer after junior year. Ha! He was 21 when he graduated. Don't regret keeping him moving along, not one bit. The way I see it, he can hopefully retire a year younger than his counterparts. As for holdbacks, the rules are in place for a reason. As long as the rules are followed I have no problem with it.

I believe he was held back twice.

Yes, John and David are twins. Thanks for the compliments. I appreciate it.

How are they "twins" with different ages?

Disregard my last post. Thought they were referring to the TWO HAMMER Lawson boys.

lol

We held our youngest son out of school until he was 6 (he turned 6 in July).  We did this because we learned a very valuable lesson with our oldest son when we held him back in the second grade.  Boys mature so much slower than girls.  I am not talking about physical maturity, but emotional maturity.  This being said, our son will be 18 when he starts his senior year.  It has not hurt him at all and he is an excellent student.