Mathound

Most Wide Open Bracket / Weight Class

Which bracket or weight class do you think is the most wide open for anyone to win? Without a dominant for-sure top 3 or so guys that could win it?

I would say 106 also, but if your looking to place in the top 8 then 220.  It has Myers the only state placer in that weight from last year.  Toughest weight class to place has to be 120, it has 8 state medal winners from last year; two of which were state champs.

Usually the lighter weight classes such as 106-120's are going to be wide open because the kids are usually in most cases younger kids doesn't mean there not awesome wrestlers just underclassmen. I feel the overall toughest bracket is 170 and the most wide open bracket to place in the top 8 would be 182. 

In terms of the champion being wide open, 106 has around 9 kids who could win it (Thacker, Stephens, Ward, Sheffer, Lawson, Burroughs, Vera, Scaggs, Roth.....)

I'd throw binder in there too!

• Upvote 1

Well , not to many sr or jrs at 106 !!! And any that are good looking to go to the next level will at least be 113 and up , heavier weights generally have upperclassmen placing winning , 7 placers last yr at 220 were srs , which was funny when people said it was a weak class with a returning champ Hollin and the rest in it!!!

170 , is deep but not the toughest class to win , not even close ,

Ok epire I am going to give you a lesson on wrestling because you grew up a weightlifter and have no clue about this sport. The heavier wt classes are almost always weaker. I laugh every time I hear you talk about something never done by a freshman last year. All the great athletes in the upper wt classes go to the big money sports and who can blame them,when they throw millions of dollars at them.what Sam has done is way more impressive to me than what ATM has done.not saying ATM is not a great wrestler but it is a numbers thing just like private verses catholic.look at the brackets in the nationals,way more kids in the lower wt classes. Every coach that sees a good small athlete recruits them for wrestling,not the same with the big guys. Imagine if our upper wts was full of athletes like urlacker, ray Lewis and other big guys that run 4,5 forties. My offer still stands with you, like I said at state duels I was ready for our match. I wrestled 98 and you out weigh me 80 or so lbs but we can have a match and give the money to charity. You ready.

• Upvote 2

I would have to say 106 also. If you bump most of the top 106's up to face the top 13's you would see them running back to 106 where they can have a shot at the podium.

True 170 that's funny I know of one 106 that wrestled 113 and majored 2 ranked kids. Roth was 113 for the rumble and lost to Dezember by 4 and hall by 2, he then went to 106 and lost to Lawson by 4 and vega by 7, so maybe 106 is not as weak as u think

Well since your so small you would take an ignorant stance like that and no I don't wrestle can't and your dumbass couldn't teach me a thing about wrestling and no tou dont know me very well i I grew up a bouncing , smashing little turds faces in who walked around with chips on their shoulders with little man complexes , your comments about heavier classes are totally ignorant why do you think there has never been a state champ as a freshman in Ohio or ky over 170 lbs before , because they are dominated by upper classes , my son was the highest ranked freshman in the country at 112 so I know a little about lightweights as well evidently a whole lot more than you . If you want to cry over my comment about the lightweights go ahead it's funny how many 106 do you know who will be wrestling in college next yr none , because the lowest class is 125 , so there's your wrestling lesson , as for teaching me anything and laughing when I mention ATMs accomplishments as a freshman ,your jealous your kid is.106 and will never come close to doing what either of mine have , send your boy out to NHSCA or Fargo or wherever , show me what you know don't talk shit about wrestling me trying to seem hard your a little joke who just ran his mouth again because you felt someone was talking about your kid whom I have complimented but could really care less what he does because 106 is a joke no kid want to wrestle the lightest weight Stephen could have wrestled 103 as a freshman but wouldn't its like being the small guy who wants to unless your a freshman or soph , it's a waste , you been gretting buff and getting cocky don't get stupid ,

And yeah 220 doesn't have any placers from last yr becaus they were all srs except Austin

And yes what Sam has done is impressive , he's rthe best wrestler to ever come out of Cincy and he's done as

Much or more than any wrestler in this state easily this yr all this mow talk is a joke and propaganda , when you have a kid no one ha scored on in the state who has three AA Fargo plaques on his wall and may well have three state brackets next to em , and can and has dominated two classes and could three ,

You don't know shit about wrestling as I said lol I trained a jr high kid that can and did beat your boy , your best bet is to keep your comments away from me and mine smurf

• Downvote 2

And if you want to talk about when we were young I use to embarass the heck out of weightlifters and football players when they though wrestling was so easy. Ball is in your court. Play or keep talking

Lol I Can't wrestle as I have always said , but you can wrestle ATM since his accomplishments don't impress you ,

And as for your little comment about me being all mouth I never said I could wrestle anyone , The screws that hold my arm together and a few other things prevent it as most people know but keep it up little man .

But I know more about wrestling than you more about training more about sports and more about winning , as your about to find out this weekend .

Ok mpire will probley respond but some of us have to work in the morning. Goodnight all I hope I gave some of you some entertainment.lol

• Upvote 1

That recruiting comment is funny as well , let me

Know If you think any lightweights in the state get recruited as much as Austin his st yr or probably ever , that was the dumbest comment I have read on this forum almost , if Austin were a sr now he would go D1 , and he has state and two

More yrs to go , lightweights ate a dime a dozen and they all get beat because comp is tight and they are up and down , a good heavy 195 220 is far more rare , but I understand your confusion , you have never Seen a kid like Austin wrestle in your state before and it boggles your limited intelligence , he has won at every level Tulsa In grade school Iowa in jr high NHSCA in HS , He is the best wrestler in the state and he will be the beat wrestler ever in the state period ,no doubt about it his sr yr kids will whimper and cry refs will plead with me to have him take it easy and his class will be scarce except for some poor sap looking for second . his friends will dominate the upper weights because they will be working with him and , and yes Stephen has more skill than him and has had a little tougher comp but as for accomplishments ,? Who's to say a soph pins an Ohio num 1 ranked kid in the first period an beats three more who are ranked two in D1 and 1 in d 2 .doesnt matter Hope they give it to Jayce if he wins hea quiet and does his thing lol Stephen knows who he is and so do all of you , peoples memories seem to only be as good as the last tournament and oh yeah , he pinned everyone at regionals in the first ,

Ok mpire will probley respond but some of us have to work in the morning. Goodnight all I hope I gave some of you some entertainment.lol

Well you are the court jester of Kentucky wrestling , of course you did ,

And yes what Sam has done is impressive , he's rthe best wrestler to ever come out of Cincy

Yes, what Stephen has done is very impressive. Best ever in Cincinnati? Willie Weinberg might have something to say about this. 4X state champ from Fairfield. All in DI. Tom Zinkan, 2X state champ ('91, '93) 2nd in '92. Moeller. Orlando Scales 2X state champ Elder DI. I believe he went undefeated both years, wrestling 215. I could go on, but why bother..........While the lower divisions have their share of good wrestlers, the talent pool in DI is much deeper than DII and DIII. It is a numbers thing. Don't bring up jr hi stuff. No college recruits based on that stuff.

No Otto but the three AA from Fargo and the one from NHSCA are nice and of course your Ohio bias would say don't bring up youth or jr high , Willie did what he did in the stone age and he didn't double in Fargo either pal four at what weight , that's what I thought as for D1 I think everyone pretty

Much agrees he would of and should have won there , Zinkan is no Stephen , and Orlando is awesome it steph may one up him by weeks end and I have one that will two up him and don't talk your Ohio bs to me as as a soph and fresh no one touched Stephens accomplishments not Zinkan and not Stephens good friend Orlando and he would agree , four with a couple at 103 in 18 whatever , yeah whatever , and yes Stephen was the best grade school and jr high wrestler ever in Cincy next to Austin and that includes all the moe kids , I doubt you want to Campare records , your D1 crap is garbage , Stephen beat your top D1 kid at 160 twice this yr and he's going 145 at NHSCA , Ky has 1 Div it's has real champs , and yes steph had a lot of problems moves a crippled dad and others but don't worry big mouth when Austin's done no deuchebags from Cincy will ever bring up Willie wineBerger to me again , and he's 220 not 103 a class they don't even have anymore lol , I know Willie I like him and yes he may have been the best ever maybe still but don't start your ignorance with me because Stephen has done as much if not more under more pressure and stress , 103 lol

As far as wide open brackets go I would say that in general the lighter weights are more wide open. Also, you gotta look at the number of returning placers in each bracket. This goes both ways: few/no returning placers as well as 6 or 7 returning placers makes a weight class wide open.