119Rider

Region 1 Teams

I did some looking back at last years tourney and have compiled a list of returners for each team. Kind of a preseason outlook for the region. If anyone has any additional info feel free to add in as I start posting.

First up will be Union County. More than likely a Region Championship is looking good for the Braves again this year. Have a solid group returning including 3 returning placers including a state finalist. Do have some young talent coming into the room this year from a Middle School program that is getting stronger each year.

Union County

Grade State Reg.

103- Adam Carr 11 4-1 (2nd)

112- Chance Puckett 12 5-2 (7th)

119- Jake Wempe 10 0-2

125-Carson Chambliss 11 1-2

135 Mitch Ervin 10 3-3 (6th)

145 Miles Risinger 12 3-2

152-Billy Brummett 12 2-2

171-Diante Wright 10 5th

215-Richard Coleman 12 1-2

275-Robert Dunn 12 0-2

Next is Caldwell with their Senior leadership. The two Cody's get it done this year. Last chance for Walls and I believe he finds a way of winning this year. Still a little young but might receive some good help from middle school kids.

Caldwell County

112-Gavin Agnew 8 5th

119-Tanner Leech 12 3-2

125-Marcus Coleman 12 2-2

130-Clay Overbey 10 0-2

140-Cody Walls 12 6-1 (3rd)

145-Cody Traylor 12 4-2 (7th)

160-Kurt Martin 11 1-2

Ft. Campbell will returning a solid group of athletes this year. With a full team, they could very well challenge Union for the region crown. They did not perform like they should of last year at state but are returning a deeply experienced squad.

103-Alan Johnson 10 3-3 (6th)

112 Wes Bird 11 0-2

130 Robert Caraccilo 11 5th in Region

135-Matt Mines 12 2-2

140 Nate Johnson 12 2-2

145 Jose Copeland 11 2-2

160 Bradley Taylor 11 5th in region

189 John Hites 11 1-2

215 Zach Rinestone 10 1-2

Ohio County will be the surprise of the region this year. Returning 2 state placers from a junior dominated team could help these guys break the top 3 at regionals this year. If these guys are training hard during the summer and wrestling like they should be then watch out.

Ohio County

103 Adam Lynch 9 5th in region

130 Wesley Kiper 11 3-3 (8th)

135 Jonathon Miller 11 0-2

152 John Ringkor 11 1-2

171 Jarrod Aull 11 1-2

215 Jacob Mason 11 2-2

275 Adam Burdin 11 4-3 (8th)

Next is Christian County. They have fallen considerably over the last few years but have the potential in place to be a spoiler for the Big Biys in the region. Returning 6 state qualifiers means Christian could be on the way back to the Glory Days.

Christian County

125 Jake Skinner 10 0-2

130 Cameron Bibbs 12 2-2

135 Cory Armstrong 10 5th in Region

145 Seth Leist 10 0-2

171 Calvin Scudder 12 1-2

189 DeAnthony Davie 10 1-2

275 Ernest Simmons 11 0-2

Paducah has a lot of Senior leadership but not many numbers. Lets hope they can bring in some of those athletic football players to fill some holes.

Paducah

112 Zach Duncan 11 0-2

125 Will McDowell 12 5th in Region

152 Roberts Simmons 12 0-2

189 Anthony Hansford 12 5th in Region

275 Bryan Hall 12 5-2 (7th)

Other schools in region that just don't have the numbers but are tyring to keep their heads abve water are:

Hoptown

103 Erik Martin 10 1-2

112 Brian Tolliver 12 1-2

119 Greg Redeemer 10 5th in region

University Heights

125 John Teague 11 3-2

160 Ted Wiersema 12 0-2

189 Ryan Stine 12 0-2

Henderson

103 Bryce Alexander 8 1-2

140 Kurt Wessell 12 5th in region

215 Jacob Tanaka 9 5th in region

Owensboro Catholic

275 Kevin Buntin 10 5th in region

Hopefully Calloway gets there program started this year and jumps into region 1. Dickie Walls is listed as Head Coach so that means that you can expect a good hard nose bunch of kids on the team. They might be just learning but could make up gound quickly with good numbers in the room.

If any one has others to add feel free. I will add them to my list as the season progresses. Good luck to all Region 1 wrestlers this year and I hope you continue to bring respectability to West Kentucky wrestling.

I have also heard both Johnson's are not wrestling. It's still rumor, here's hoping it's a false rumor. DeAnthony Davie will be wrestling for Hoptown this year. He chose to go to Hoptown rather than stay at County, not really sure of the reason.

I am sure that the Johnsons will be standing tall when the season begins, its in there blood, and for Matt Mines he going 135 again this year. I know they didnt shine like they should at at State but look out this year.

I too have heard the rumors and believe both f the Johnson brothers will be back this year. I think they have a strong nucleus returning on the Ft. Campbell team and will be solid again this year. With Matt going back to 35 this year, it will make for some great match-ups in the region. Hope to see all do well.

Falcon, Did Matt do any wreestling over the summer? Camps or Bluegrass? Like to hear how he matched up with some of the others this summer.

Matt hasn't done much but he did go to camp, he was well liked by the Indiania coach. He also mentor and worked with younger kids at camp. He, like many young men his age wanted to get a job so he did at the horse stables on post. Matt is a three time Tennessee freestyle wrestling champion but this year he elected just to stay away. He wanted to heal his ankles and prepare for this season. He is lifting and last told he is up to 280 on the bench. His weak point is not having dad home :( . By the way he even got the opportunity to wrestler CaeL Sanderson, held his own for least one min!

Coach Lowe at Fort Campbell is going back school to finish his Master Degree,so he will not be head coach of the Falcon this year. last years asst coach Mables will take over. so big news for the falcons

Hey Falcon, How will this effect the guys? This is a kind of late decision. Was the new coach there last year? Any background on him?

119 Rider: I can answer some of that. Coach Maples was Coach Lowe's assistant last year. Previous to that he was the head coach at Montgomery Central, TN. I know Coach Maples is FCHS alumni. He wrestled in the 80's for Kent Parrent. I don't think there will be much change for their team, but FalconMatt may know more.

Hopkinsville acquired a new coach. Our new coach is gator herring, an old hoptown alumni under coach ploecer. Herring was the coach of Kenwood's (TN) wrestling team this previous year. Hard to tell how the teams gonna turn out. We have a few returners, (last years 3 and 12) and others who are still playing football. Theres alot of new faces out, but we'll jus have to see as the year progresses.

(Jus an update)

(Cardinalfan) Absolutely. They were the team to beat last year, and they will be the team to beat this year. Team wise, they were much further ahead than the rest of the competition in region 1. They always have a solid line-up, but you never know at the beginning of season's. Everyone's team almost seems to continually get stronger, so we'll jus have to see what happens. However, Union co. still seems to be the favorite coming out of our region.

I agree that union has a strong team returning but they will have their hands full with Ft. Campbell and Caldwell county. Ft. Campell are returning two guys in my opinion are potential state champs and a couple more state placers. Also Caldwell will have the Cody's who will both be in the hunt for a state title, and they are returing Marcus Coleman who was ranked 2nd in state before is unfortunate showing at state, and with two or three more strong prospects i beleive region 1 will be very strong this season.

Yep, Coleman is very tough ... he had beaten Thuneman one match last year. His draw at state wound up very unfavorable, and it cost him. It was bound to happen to someone in that class with as many good wrestlers as there were, unfortunately for Coleman it was him.

He is ranked 5th coming back next year nonetheless, and only one guy in the top 8 finishers at 125 gradutated. The guys doing the rankings obviously realized what happened and ranked him there anyway, albeit one might argue thats still a controversial ranking.

id say about every school in region 1 will have a 130 pounder i know caldwell has a kid that moved here from florida around that weight. Also i would expect good 30 pounders from ft. campbell, union,county, and maybe hoptown.

It's really hard to tell right now..We have alot of young ppl out, and another new coach. We hope to do alot better than last year though.

News from Ft. Campbell, I suppose it is true Alan or Nate Johnson will not suit up this season for the Falcon Wrestling team. I dont have a reason why, I just know with out those two this year team will suffer.

Sorry to hear that Falcon. Was hoping to hear that they had changed their mind. Maybe there is some things that we don't know of that might be hindering their decision. Still wish a lot of luck to the Fort this year. Used to love the competition with them back in the day. Really good kids and families there. Hopefully these guys can pull it together and compete like we know they can.