Sign in to follow this  
Cougar05

Region 6 Breakdown

Since I'm bored tonight while my wife watches the Carrie Diaries, I thought I should make an attempt to breakdown Region 6 this weekend at Campbell County.

106- This will be a really competitive weight class between three individuals. Judging by Trackwrestling, it doesn’t look like Skaggs and Roth have wrestled this year, but judging by similar competition it should be a douse. I know Roth beat Skaggs last year at Regions and I see that happening again. I project that Skaggs will get the top seed based on record, meaning Roth and Krebs should meet in the semi's. I think Roth wins in a close match and then beats Skaggs by dec in the finals. 4th place will be a battle between Osbourne, Hawn, and Moore. Osbourne has wins over both boys so I see him advancing on to state.

113- Another toss up weight class between three tough wrestlers. On one had we have Maggard who is a returning state qualifier and recently dropping down to 113 where his only loss in-state is to Erdman. Maggard holds a win over Wiley from Conner last year by pin. Wiley is greatly improved over last year and if he wrestles his best he could be atop the podium. One name to mention will be Hensley from Scott. Losing a close match to Roth, and then splitting with Rice (Trinity) he could give Wiley fits in the semi's if both men make it there. I think Maggard will get top seed with Wiley and Hensley will get 2 and 3. 4th at this weight class will come down between Peace, Castellino, and Golden. This will all come down to who can win the first period in the conso. I think Castellano is better on his feet and will roll out of the region as a state qualifier.

120- This is all Adams. A great senior with big time state experience should cruise through regions. A great semi-finals match between Sparh and Owens. I haven't heard about their last match at state duals but I'm going with Owens on this. A state qualifier from a year before and a placer at SWOCA and GMVCA is big time. Sparh is a super tough freshman who keeps matches close and is good enough to pull an upset here. Not much depth beyond these three, look for Ashford from Scott to advance to state.

126- Another dominate senior Parrott here at this weight class. Parrott, like Adams, has big time state experience and should pin his way through the region. Erdman has really stepped up his game since last year. He has really come into his own and swarms opponents right off jump street. He should be the two seed and roll into the semi's where he could meet freshman Badida from Conner. I see Erdman advancing but I'm not counting out Badida as he has really improved since last year as well. Tejada from Scott should advance to state as a 4 seed. Really not many surprises here or in 120 as the top seed is so dominate.

132- Fausz and North is a battle of two of the top 5 kids in the state. However there is a big gap between the two. Fausz already holds a maj. dec win over North and has only gotten better and has faced much better competition. Not to take anything away from North because he is an outstanding wrestler who will most certainly make the podium at state, but Fausz will win his first state title this year and should do it in rather dominating fashion. 3rd and 4th should come down to Goins and Lutez. Goins is a senior who put in a lot of time in the off-season and has really turned it up a notch since Christmas break. Lutez is very nice wrestler who never seems to get out of position. Never sleep on a senior and I think Goins win this match in a close one.

138- What else can be said about Paul Hamilton? He is an outstanding wrestler who has one of the best H-C's I've ever seen in Kentucky. He is the second best wrestler in the state at this weight class and should roll right through regions. Saunders has really come into his own this year. I was really impressed with his win over Brown at the Rumble and I don't think it was a fluke. Brown should give Saunders all he could handle in the semi's he still will drop down to the conso's and be in for a battle against Hicks from SK. This is probably the deepest weight class in the region. All four boys are top ten in the state and all of them could make it to the podium come state.

145- This will be a very competitive weight class at region. I'm a huge Belk fan from his middle school years and would love to see him win region this year, however he is going to have to go through Woods to do it. Not sure if they have wrestled this year but I believe Woods won the head to head match up last year. Belk is the one wrestler you can never count out. He has probably the nastiest head trap in the region and maybe in the state. When he locks it up you could be looking up at the lights. I feel like this will be his only way to beat Woods if they met in the finals, as I feel like Woods is the more technical wrestler. But if you count out Belk then I feel real sorry for you. Jackson from Dixie is a nice wrestler but he has holes in his game that I think Belk will expose in the semi's. I could be wrong but whatever. The 4th and 5th seed match up should be an awesome match. Roberts and Presnell will be an awesome match up on Friday night. This matchup has huge effect on team scores. If Roberts win then he gives SK a big boast in the battle for second place against Ryle. I see this weight class finishing- Woods, Belk, Roberts, Jackson.

152- One of the greatest wrestlers in Northern Kentucky will wrestle their final regional match. Kevin is already a 4 time finalist and 3x regional champion. He will come in as 1 seed and will leave as the 1 seed. Since I don't know who the 152 from Campbell will be it will be hard to predict this weight class. I have a hunch that Myers will be at 160 which should make Jones the favorite to finish 2nd at this weight class. If Bachman is here then I think he contends for 2nd and I will give him a slight edge over Jones, since Jones is so inconsistent. This is probably one of the weaker weight classes so 4th place will be up in the air for anyone to grab.

160- As we put a lid on one of the greatest Northern Kentucky wrestlers of all time, we also say bye to one of the greatest Tri-state area wrestler of all-time. (My dad still tells me that Chris Coffin was the greatest wrestler ever out of Cincinnati) Stephan will cap his amazing career with one final regional title. There isn't much more to say about this young man. He has proven that he can win state at 152, 160, and more than likely 170 if he wanted too. 2nd place will be a battle between one of my favorite middle school wrestlers Jacob Warwick and Schwatchter from Scott. Only seeing Sch. once and that being against Myers it is really hard to gauge how good of wrestler he is. I am much more familiar with Warwick and must say he is one of the biggest "winners" I've ever met. I have learned to never count out this young man and hope he can show up with his A game at region. If he does then I see him beating Sch in a highly competitive match. Jacob was once a middle school state champ and dominated to say the least. He is the lightest he has been since 7th grade so go get'em Jacob! Woolf from Ryle should slip in here and finish fourth making him a state qualifier.

170- I will leave this to fanofwrestling06. He knows more about this weight class than I do. It will be nice to see my boy Lane Jones get him his first regional title but it won’t come easy. I know Meiman has something to say about it. Meiman and Turners semi-finals match will have the eyes of the entire gym. If Meiman gets the first takedown then I think he wins the match, however if Turner scores first and puts Meiman in desperation mode then he is doomed. Braden Jones will receive the 4 seed and should stay competitive against Lane in the semis', that is if he can beat Hicks in the earlier rounds.

182- Mathews and Chamblee will dual it out another time in what will become a classic battle between these two young men. Mathews has kept it close with Chamblee but I think Chamblee's experience and "senior-ness" will help him to prevail in this weight class. Lost in the this highly competitive battle will be Steele from Boone. A state place last year who is in a tough draw with possibly the state finalist coming out of this region. 4th place will come down to ____________, no clue so someone else fill in the blanks.

* Whew I'm getting tired-

195- Since dropping down to 195 Thompson has been super impressive. His first couple tournaments took some getting used to but he is lighter than he has been since 8th grade year and looks very good at this weight class. He already holds a win over Miller by pin, and a 14-2 win over Maines at 220. He should win this weight class and win his first regional title. Looking to finish 2nd will be Miller who recently beat Bergman at his home floor on senior night. Not sure of the score but that is a big win for Miller. Bergman and Keeton will more than likely battle it out for 3rd and 4th. Wolf from Walton will be the odd man out at this weight class which is a shame for this senior.

220- ATM or Austin Myers will dominate this weight class and might win OW if the award doesn't go to Kevin or his older brother. I expect nothing less than first period pins like he has been doing to his Ohio foes. Mueller from SK recently just beat Maines from Ryle 5-4. I don't think the result will be the same the next time around as I think Maines wins in a close match. Not sure who else is here so someone else can help me out.

HWT- Need some help here as I'm not sure who is here at this weight class.  Any who I am done!

I think Campbell County runs away with the title having a ton of kids in the finals, with many others finishing 3rd or 4th. Ryle and SK will be a tossup, depends on which team can score bonus points in the early rounds and who can pull some upsets in the medal rounds. 4th place will come down to Conner, Walton, Dixie, and Scott. My gut is telling me to go with my old school Conner, which I feel will do very well this weekend.

Whelp there you have it! Good luck to all competitors this weekend! Have fun debating!

Hvys , should be Grant County's Cody Miskell a state qualifier who probably should have placed last yr , a big day for him and his new team if he becomes their first regional champ and perhaps state placer. I would take Sinclair or the Ryle kid next with Sinclair having a head to head win getting the edge but I am not sure or aware of all the hvys Either way hope these three make it , Sk has a hvy that is really a 220 and has a ton of heart he was instrumental in their state dual win over X he should get an award or something kid is a gamer . Didn't know they had OW for regionals lol Stephen and Kevin are most deserving maybe are and all and some others are very talented , No one dominated the region or yr like ATM , doubt anything changes at regionals , He didn't tech or pin through last yr like Stephen , I think he makes a statement this weekend , Thompson should do well at 195 at state a good move for him . Mueller ands Maines should be good one a fresh and one a jr or sr I think I have seen them both Mueller more it would be hard to say I think Maines is bigger and a little harder to do stuff with or on , I do like Mueller though I wouldn't want to say , in a pinch I would say Maines but Mueller has an awfully bright future , Can't help to say one of them is going to have a real bright one sat night . Just kidding I hope they all place at state

I agree 145 is all of a toss up between Belk, Jackson and Roberts.  Woods a caught Belk in a lateral earlier this year, and Belk has beaten both Roberts and Jackson.  Woods is the favorite, but Belk is wrestling well.  Jackson is a great athlete, and Roberts is strong as hell.  Should be a fun day.  Also Presnell is not wrestling this year. 

At 170 I think Meiman has a pretty clear shot at the finals with Jones.  He took Canter to a 1 point match.  Takedowns will be key.

Turner and Meiman should wrestle in semis I would think it should be good . 170 is a tough class to gauge . I remember a dual at CC last yr Ryle winning being all fired up in CC home , I hate to think they won't be charged up with regionals at their school , they should take full advantage I would give them the edge in the close ones , I don't know though wrestling is different than football , I know it's a useless story but talking to my son he said the rowdiest dual or event he was ever in was Elder Vs Moeller at Elder small gym it was insane loud Elder prep whatever was extra ignorant Stephen was the first match they were yelling and chanting all kinda of crazy private school hooplah stuff , Stephen came out first they bumped the kid he was supposed to have to run and he looked tat their crowd shook the kids hand crushed him stood up stated right at their pep whatever and they all went silent it went from Guns and roses rock concert loud to hearing a pin drop , it was awesome , his team still lost though , You have to get fired up sometimes .

170's

First very nice breakdown Cougar05 of the strongest of all the weight classes in the best wrestling in the state and that's Region 6 !

Let me say that all the weight classes are going to very well represented at the Horsepark next weekend and I truly mean that and know that we're going to have many state champions and placers some we know and some we're going to just start learning about.

Here's my take on the 170's the class I've been watching all year and have said all along that it's going to be a show not only in Region 6 but at the Alltech as well.

Here's my breakdown: not in my seeding order

1. Lane Jones (Walton Verona) is the most experienced of the class. He scrambles very well and knows how to counter just about any style you throw at him. He's a very tough kid, strong, quick , smart and has wrestled for many years and will be a force at the Horsepark and is currently ranked number 2 on my state rankings. Enough said

2. Johnny Meiman (Ryle). He's a young kid at Ryle but don't let his age fool you. He's strong, he's quick and when he's on he's as good as any wrestler in the state and proved that at the Dragon when he lost to Canter by 1 point and that's been by far Canters closest match of the year. He also wrestled Lane jones and Lost 3-2 so he can go up against the best and more than hold his own. He does tend to be lazy at times and with that being said any of the 6th region contenders in the 170's can catch him if he's having an off match and while he's strong physically I believe that there are couple of others that are a little physically stronger but make no mistake about it, He can also win the Region 6 title. He has that much ability.

3. Braden Jones (Boone County) Of all the kids at 170 I can tell you without a doubt he works harder and trains more. He has a very strong record of 37 wins with only 5 losses . Braden has also proven he can win big matches as he's at least placed at every tournament he's been in this year and has won 2 very nice tournaments including one in Ohio. He's built like every wrestler wants to be and knows how to use his strength if he gets you on your back you can pretty much say the match is over because he's going to keep you there. Braden's a sleeper that finished runner up at the NKAC while he had a high fever and had been sick all week yet he still managed to hold his own extremely well. Would it shock me to see him win this region ? My anwser is no it wouldn't.

4. Derrick Hicks .(Simon Kenton) A very good wrestler that last year was only one takedown or a reversal from being in the top 4 in the winners bracket at the Horsepark in the 182 lb division. He's a proven skilled wrestler that has had a couple of very good wins this year. He defeated Trevor Fultz of Trinity who will be a 2 or 3 seed coming out of the second toughest region #4 . Derrick is very cabable of going on a run and beating anyone of the 170's in this class.

5 . Dustin Turner (Campbell County) He's big, very strong and is a very good rider. He also knows a lot of techniques that score him points against unexpecting opponents. Having trained with Matthews and Myers at CC has only made Dustin better. He's beaten some of the top kids in Ohio such as Brandon Breezely and won the NKAC with a dominating performances the entire tournament. Look for big things out of Turner not only in Region 6 tourney but also the Horsepark.

Now that you've read that you can see why I say this is the toughest weight class in Region 6 and in my opinion the entire state. Any of these guys are very capable of making it to the podium and whomever finishes 4th and qualies for state I wouldn't count them out of anything. This groups #4 I feel will handles most regions number 1's. All 5 of these guys deserve to go and it's a shame we'll only get to see 4 of them down state but I do feel it will be one heckuva a battle and I wouldn't count any of these guys out until the final buzzer has sounded and even then .... Don't be surprised if it goes to OT any match any pairing........I can only say good luck to all of these guys and I know how well we'll be represented with this weight class.

I won't give predictions but I'll give my seedings the way I think They'll be seeded for the Region 6.

1. Lane Jones

2. Johnny Meiman

3. Dustin Turner

4. Braden Jones

5. Derrick Hicks

I thought Miskell was going to be good till I saw him get stuck by a JV wrestler from Jeffersonville at the Capital City

That wasn't a JV wrestler the kid was undefeated at the time 26-0 from Jeffersonville and that kid was a monster

That wasn't a JV wrestler the kid was undefeated at the time 26-0 from Jeffersonville and that kid was a monster

Undeafted JV wrestler, that was Jeffs b team , their varsity was at sectionals that week

Undeafted JV wrestler, that was Jeffs b team , their varsity was at sectionals that week

wow ... they must wrestle alot of jv matches. I'll take your word for it because I know they have an outstanding program at Jeffersonville but that was kid was huge 6-5 275 maybe ? pretty darn good if he's there second teamer lol.... Miskell was throwing him around abit but once that big boy falls on you I doubt anyone could get up lol.... Thanks

That's the way hvys are at times it's who falls on who , Miskell is solid in weight and sise and has wrestled over summer at camps and open mats to make up for any lack in room partners or whatever , he will make it to state again and has a good shot at the podium , I would be surprised if he doesn't make it , if he doesn't grant co needs to hang it up , if you can't win with a 285 lb kid who is the strongest kid in the state " a fact " then you need to quit !!!!! Saw Miskell break the state bench record on competition last yr he's powerful not out of shape and has trained , Hell he should make top 4

I have actually seen Miskell wrestle a couple of times this year.  He is very large and strong however he is a lazy wrestler even for a HWT, and has little to no offence.  If he has not improved upon this in the last month, he may not even make it to the big show.

If he has improved on those two things you are correct.  He could make top 4.

Bench press means very little in wrestling.  Wrestlers pull and hold much more than push away. 

Lol yes it mean little , unless your the guy who benches 135 wrestling the guy who benches 400 :) and not to argue that hardcore wrestling mentality but usually if your strong your strong everywhere he's probably stronger on other moves than most kids as well ,he hasn't wrestled very long is his problem wich was my point about his camps and his room having to make up for it , and 75 % of hvys do not have much offense a trip a slide bye a snap down a go behind a standup = a state placer ,

I agree Deadlift is more important than benching and so are a few more moves , just stating I saw him win and break a record , a neat fact , but if you want to get specific it might have been better if I say I saw him perform as a Ballerina , probably would make a hvy champ ten times better if he could still bench 400 :)

Anyway This is reg 6 and the guy didn't know hvys ,Miskell

Made it to state last yr I think he has a shor at winning reg 6 .

Austin broke the state Bench Record and Deadlift record I say when he pushes some

Kid across the mat or snaps his arms so hard his face bounces of the hardwood it helps him , of course he can shoot you as stick you before your on the ground so it's an overall thing .

Emerson beat Maggard 2 times this year

What were the scores of those matches?  Maggard has improved.  He was up on Brady at state last year and got caught I believe late in the 3rd period. 

Since I have wrestled Miskell over the past few years, i completely  agree with GOO. The kid is one of the strongest i have ever wrestled. However, he did not seem to know what he was doing on the mat. If he could find two moves to go after that are not a headlock, he could do very well. If he can't find those two moves and attack with them, he will never see the podium at state.

Well I think that's why he wrestled all summer went to camps and all the rest , I haven't seen to many hvys around that look like they have wrestled more than a few yrs , I will be surprised if he isn't In the finals at reg 6 , and he should win ,

I dont think he has wrestled more than three yrs considering his team has not been around longer than that so You couldn't have wrestled him for YRS unless you live out in Grant co and throw down in the fields or yards lol he hasn't even been wrestling for three whole yrs !!!!

I think PH will be in the finals at 138 !!!