Sign in to follow this  
Irish Wrestler

Region Seeding Meetings

I'm not sure if its the same in all regions, but in 7 this is the criteria we used.

1. Head to head

2. Common opponent

3. Record (winning percentage)

4. Record against known to be quality opponents

It came down to win percentage on a lot our seeded, but mostly after the first 2 or 3 seeds.

This is probably an invalid point but knowing my brain if I don't at least say something it will drive me nuts. I haven't looked at the other brackets yet in region 6 just the 170's . But why should 2 better seeds have to wrestle in the first round while others that are seeded not as high get first round byes ? I've drawn alot brackets in my day and I'm truthfully not nit picking nor complaining just seems to me the better seeds would get the byes ? Maybe it's the way they seeded it ? Someone more intelligent than myself please give me the answer.. Greatly appreciated.. Can't wait and looking forward to a great tournament.

Im guessing it's just the way the seeds fell.. just seemed odd when I first glanced at it...still does but guess that's just the way these brackets were drawn. I really can't decide if it helps or hurts the higher seed honestly ... Guess the only way it would hurt them was if they got hurt in the match .. but this is wrestling not ping pong :) in a way I think if I were the wrestler I'd like the match just because it get the nerves out and allow the focus to set in. jmho

This is probably an invalid point but knowing my brain if I don't at least say something it will drive me nuts. I haven't looked at the other brackets yet in region 6 just the 170's . But why should 2 better seeds have to wrestle in the first round while others that are seeded not as high get first round byes ? I've drawn alot brackets in my day and I'm truthfully not nit picking just seems to me the better seeds would get the byes ? Maybe it's the way they seeded it ? Someone more intelligent than myself please give me the answer.. Greatly appreciated.. Can't wait and looking forward to a great tournament.

If every wrestler is seeded in a 10-12 wrestler weight class,  the top seeds should get a bye.  Normally, only the top 4-6 are seeded and the byes are drawn in at random.  Then the remaining wrestlers are drawn in.

If every wrestler is seeded in a 10-12 wrestler weight class,  the top seeds should get a bye.  Normally, only the top 4-6 are seeded and the byes are drawn in at random.  Then the remaining wrestlers are drawn in.

Thanks sounds logical.. !

Surely someone in Region 7 will look over these brackets and correct them.  Not concerned about the seeds or wrestlers, but the byes and first round matches.  If a weight class has for example 5 byes,  there should be 2 on one half and 3 on the other.  However, there should not be 2 in one quarter bracket and none in another.  This leads to a wrestler getting a bye to the quarterfinals and consi quarters while others wrestle an unneeded match.  Basicly what I am trying to say is the brackets need to be balanced.

Surely someone in Region 7 will look over these brackets and correct them.  Not concerned about the seeds or wrestlers, but the byes and first round matches.  If a weight class has for example 5 byes,  there should be 2 on one half and 3 on the other.  However, there should not be 2 in one quarter bracket and none in another.  This leads to a wrestler getting a bye to the quarterfinals and consolation quarters while others wrestle an unneeded match.  Basically what I am trying to say is the brackets need to be balanced.

The 120,152 and 220 brackets in Region 7 need to be adjusted.

So after looking at region 7 120 bracket are you saying that the 1-4 seeds should have the byes?  There are two byes on each bracket.  It must have been a random draw for the for the byes.  I can't help but think that if anyone at the seeding meeting was concerned about this it was addressed.  I just can't see several of the coaches not pitching a fit if they thought something wasn't fair.  Just my opinion.   

This is why the byes fall where they do.  If you place the byes with the seeded guys and a team has a seeded guy at every weight class that team could potentially lose out on a lot of first round matches decreasaing their chances of winning the team title.  By randomly drawing the byes in it gives every team a chance to get a fair amount of first round matches.

This is one of the reasons that team points skew the results.

I am in belief that all the wrestlers should be seeded, and the first bye goes to the #1 seed second bye the #2 seed, so on and so on.

Allow the lower seeded guys decide it themselves instead of being knocked out by high seeds.

The team points will all equal out for the top teams anyway. (As long as a coach doesn't play the game of taking a lower seed to get a match)

In region 7 we seeded as many as we felt needed to be. After that, the rest were randomly drawn in. We did try to make sure it was equal on top and bottom if possible.