Sign in to follow this  
bocowrestling

MS State Observations

Let me be the first to say that I have been involved with 3 different Presidents at the Middle School level (Pat Lee, Tim Lange, and Jason Moore). All of these men did an outstanding job but the later of the three has done more for the state in my time than any other. Pat can take a lot of credit for helping the develope the middle school state tournament and the organization. Pat did an outstanding job getting information and results out to the state. Before Pat, the state tournament was more of a Region 6 JV event. When I competed in middle school there was 5 kids in my weight class. It was the only matches us middle school kids got all year. Tim did an oustanding job when struck with adversity. His communication skills were second to none. However, Jason and his staff have done an amazing job with medals, organization, state duals/tournament ect... Fact is the no body wants to step up and run the organization and that is a fact. Jason will be greatly missed once he decides to step down and the state will take a hit. Jason, thank you for all you have done with the organization. We all know that we can improve and I second that you have always asked for others opinion. There needs to be no change to the current format. There will come a day when we out grow Montgomery county but those days are not anytime soon. No need to change the format to two days either. Schools will not support that and you could lose support from Administration in the building which is exactly what wrestling doesnt need.

• Upvote 1

Iwin , how are things looking for your Mat Demon , good kid keep him focused and drilling this week like to see him get it done . That was a bad @$$ ring you had , ATM wants his pimped up now lol Always room for improvement at all levels and forums are just for the discussion of that ,don't know a thing about MS state except I hope to see my boy there one day , sounds like a good tourny with some heartbreak and surprises as always . On another note , having duals for youth on the same Day as HS is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of , all those kids misses some of the beat HS wrestling they would have ever seen and it hurt the $ for HS duals !!as well as youth !!! A giant blunder , heard all the excuses. None good enough

I don't doubt for a minute that you have a genuine love and dedication to the sport. Just rubbed me the wrong way when it felt like you were giving demands. Putting down people, (hotdog comment) doesn't carry alot of weight either. IMO, a 2 day tournament is going overboard. People arguing the 5 match rule is a little silly too. There has to be a happy median. If we work together without the demands and put downs, I feel like we will get much further. Congrats to you and your boys on another State Championship.

I just want to thank Ranger and the rest of the middle school assoc. for another great tourney. I don't think anyone has a clue the time and coordination it takes to pull off these events. I know everyone in the assoc. has real jobs and families. I guarantee that both suffer this time of year.  I think we need to go ahead and set that date for the next association meeting, sounds like everyone is again ready to get together and make plans to better this event.   Thanks again for your efforts they are much appreciated by me.

Joe B.

Why not move youth state. and have middle school state the day after high school instead?

The youth state tourney is pushing 1,000 kids.  I believe ms has 240.  Youth really needs the space

Wow.... Just thought we was discussing options? I thought the tourny was great. Just saw people saying to crowded and thought 2 day event would be nice. But yea the schools wouldnt like that to much. You know it isn't basketball lol. But I would like to thank all of the people that make it happen. I know how much work it takes just to coach. But to organize and keep the association going "hats off to you"

Ranger--I've reached out to you directly several times and have been ignored and disrespected. Not sure why, nothing is personal.

Finding better ways to do things is not an insult to how they've been done in the past. If the majority of folks around the state want it the way it is, so be it. I just think you lose support for the sport by making it miserable for siblings, single parents, and family by having these marathon 16 man bracket tournaments in a single day. Maybe a 2 day tournament works everywhere else but here.

I'm just offering suggestions. If I came across in any other way I miscommunicated. I've been a ref, coach and wrestled. I know a little about wrestling. I also know you get more done by synergy and working together. Disagreements are fine, but to discount others with a wave of the hand is foolish.

Thanks cougar. I appreciate the comments. All of those who lead the organization face different challenges and opportunities. Pat laid the foundation and deserves a huge amount of credit for that. Those early days really laid the groundwork for the progress we have seen even at the high school level of wrestling today. Lange was so organized and so businesslike in the way he got things done. Nothing flashy but set things up so today we are really able to focus on making improvements and maximizing the enjoyment for the kids.

I never meant to make any demands. I just hate it when people get on here and harp on things they don't understand and don't do their due diligence to get all of the right info and throw out statements like they know it all. And the hot dog comment may have offended a few but if so they likely fit the bill. So many people like to whine and cry and complain but won't lift a finger to help or offer any solutions.

Yes ms state is 240 kids. I like the thought of shifting the schedule but the youth guys have worked too hard to set up their event to attempt to mess with that.

I never meant to make any demands. I just hate it when people get on here and harp on things they don't understand and don't do their due diligence to get all of the right info and throw out statements like they know it all. And the hot dog comment may have offended a few but if so they likely fit the bill. So many people like to whine and cry and complain but won't lift a finger to help or offer any solutions.

Yes ms state is 240 kids. I like the thought of shifting the schedule but the youth guys have worked too hard to set up their event to attempt to mess with that.

Wow, dude.

Nka - unfortunately I tend to ignore my ims on this site. With all of the events going on and so many coming in I honestly can't keep up. Talk to your coach and maybe a few of your parents. I am glad to discuss any ideas with anyone who approaches me. But I will admit I don't get too excited about ms ideas that come up on this site. I will read to hopefully learn something but unless people and coaches participate with the association and get involved it is hard to get anything accomplished.

That's what I'm saying Ranger. You can't even apologize for an offensive statement without throwing in another put down. You haven't a clue the time and effort I've given to wrestling. You assume that because I'm posting on here I'm someone who fusses and don't fix. Quit thinking that you and your admin are the only ones who have a hand in this great sport. As president of the association, you need to be seen and rarely heard. You are just as guilty of whining and complaining as anyone. Instead of "whining" for change, you whine to protect your position. You take such offence to anyone with an opinion that differs from yours. I'm not even really arguing with the policies, I'm calling you out on your words and behavior.

• Downvote 1

Haha! It didn't come across as a demand. I only take.orders from leaders, something that your clearly not. Your northern hospitality sucks. I wish we were in a coaches meeting so I could light you up right in front of everyone. You should be sitting back and taking notes. Instead, your on here arguing with us low class no nobrainers who can't put our hotdogs down. Just like any politician, your time is up. You are the weakest link.....good bye.

I thought the tournament ran pretty good, thank you to whomever ran it.  I thought the referees were fairly consistent overall, no one will ever be completely satisfied with them.  I believe the weather may have had something to do with some of the spectators emotions, but hey, wrestling happens during the winter months there is always the possibility of snow.  There were several really great wrestling matches up there yesterday, I enjoyed watching those young men leave everything on the mat.

I believe this tournament was better than last years, I stayed through the 113 final and left an hour and a half earlier than last year after the 105 match.  4 hour drive was my one complaint, but this is not just any tournament.  Great job directors! 

Anybody that knows Ranger at all, knows that he will listen to ANY suggestion especially if it's brought up in the right way. So many people make complaints yet our Coaches meetings in the Spring and Fall have very few coaches attend and it's usually the same faces. I felt the tournament was well ran as usual. When it's ran so well, people will find the smallest reasons to complain or point out anything that's not perfect. If people in the stands would follow directions and not stand in front of the rails, it would be much better for fans/family. But as usual, many fans/family don't follow directions well and make it difficult for others to enjoy the matches. The association does a phenomenal job and I don't see anyone running for President anytime soon because this act would be hard to follow. Props to Ranger and ALL of the association officers for a great job!

• Upvote 1

I didn't mean to start a fight.  You guys sound like the parents who were fighting in the stands.  Everyone needs to quit screwing with Ranger so he can update the high school rankings.  

Eight man brackets at Regions are fantastic. We finished our region this year by 4 p.m.  As a matter of fact, after region, I had time to go eat, drive an hour and a half to the Dragon and still watched my son's last three matches of the day.  There could be a number of ways to get state to eight man brackets.  1) Top two at Region; or 2) have Big State and Small State with only 8 man brackets each.  Common thread - 8 man brackets.  Anyone in the state could be home before 10 p.m.

Two days of state is not cost effective.  Our team cannot afford hotels or travel expenses.   

Iwin , how are things looking for your Mat Demon , good kid keep him focused and drilling this week like to see him get it done . That was a bad @$$ ring you had , ATM wants his pimped up now lol Always room for improvement at all levels and forums are just for the discussion of that ,don't know a thing about MS state except I hope to see my boy there one day , sounds like a good tourny with some heartbreak and surprises as always . On another note , having duals for youth on the sameDay as HS is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of , all those kids misses some of the beat HS wrestling they would have ever seen and it hurt the $ for HS duals !!as well as youth !!! A giant blunder , heard all the excuses. None good enough

He's training like a madman. It always helps to have a train to Boston. Lol. Thanks for the encouragement. ATM should get any type of ring he wants, the kid is money!! We don't mess around, XXXL with bling. Lol. See u guys in a couple of weeks. Smash em all up North!!

This is much better than the HS forum ,

If the state takes over there will

Probably be more restrictions , clubs allow

More freedom

Usually , as for the OAC that's a good group of people running that and the state in Ohio has nothing to do with it , they run the reg season but OAC is a different organization ,

The different state tournys are good and bad , good there is more wrestling , bad it created a question of who is legit , answer being OAC , older more established,

CC is tough they win everything , very impressive , congrats to the little guys , hope they never get screwed when they get older by some bias ref in a tourny up north so some a holes can build the rep of a kid who doesn't even go to school up , and then have people from their own school back up the bad guys because they like rubbing elbows with big shots ,

How lucky people are to be surrounded by such loyalty particularly to their very possible soon to be first 3xer,and now undisputed Champion of Champions in NKY ,

Sometimes simply remaining quiet is the best reply because one no one is always right and two sometimes your wrong to begin with ,

Stepping on toes left and right leaves a lot of sore toes ,

I didn't mean to start a fight. You guys sound like the parents who were fighting in the stands. Everyone needs to quit screwing with Ranger so he can update the high school rankings.

Eight man brackets at Regions are fantastic. We finished our region this year by 4 p.m. As a matter of fact, after region, I had time to go eat, drive an hour and a half to the Dragon and still watched my son's last three matches of the day. There could be a number of ways to get state to eight man brackets. 1) Top two at Region; or 2) have Big State and Small State with only 8 man brackets each. Common thread - 8 man brackets. Anyone in the state could be home before 10 p.m.

Two days of state is not cost effective. Our team cannot afford hotels or travel expenses.

Boco - you didn't start a thing. It's all good. As far as 8 man brackets the competition is too great for that. I brought a region #4 who placed 3rd and lost to the champ 10-9. We need to have as many quality kids as possible competing at the event. As far as making the dragon ... That was more a function of a badly run tournament there vs benefits of 8 man bracket.

Boco - you didn't start a thing. It's all good. As far as 8 man brackets the competition is too great for that. I brought a region #4 who placed 3rd and lost to the champ 10-9. We need to have as many quality kids as possible competing at the event. As far as making the dragon ... That was more a function of a badly run tournament there vs benefits of 8 man bracket.

I agree Ranger. The competition is getting better and it's to good for the MS level to go to 8 man brackets. Our region 4 3 seed (Blue) wrestled 2 of the top kids in the 70lb class to great matches. We need the 16 men brackets because with the competition right now any one could beat any one.

Ranger, there is no doubt that you have done a lot of work for the sport, but don't for a minute let that fact cloud that you are extremely replaceable. Don't come o n here demanding anything. Bottom line is there is a problem that needs fixed. We are discussing solutions. That's what we do. So enjoy another dominate performance from yesterday, but come back to earth soon and realize that you are dealing with grown adults not middle school kids.

• Downvote 1

May 18 2:00 pm at Campbell county middle school.

Bring it on

IWIN - I'm guessing you're going to put your money where your mouth is and put you name in the hat for the next KSWA President position? Can you do us all a favor and put your real name out here for all of us and your credentials along with what you have done to promote the sport of wrestling in KY or any state for that matter. I want to see if you are in this to really help MS wrestling or just someone who got there feelings hurt and can't find anyone else that will listen to them. Put up or shut up....as they say.