Sign in to follow this  
bocowrestling

MS State Observations

Here are some parent observations from MS State from a lay perspective.  

1.  The meet was very well run, with little downtime.  Only issue is the same with every other tournament...with the advent of the internet, there is no way that a tournament should not start by 9:30 a.m.  Wrestling is the most spectator adverse sport. 

2.  MS Medals are incredible.  KHSAA should definitely take a cue from the MS State and give medals that reflect the achievement of the kids and don't look like every other medal the kids win throughout the year.  

3.  MS State has outgrown Montgomery County.  There were parents cussing at each other because they couldn't see and because they were too tightly packed in the facility.  I was all over the upper level and I saw heated exchanges five or six times.  The school police officer was extremely rude, but this was probably due more to trying to rope people in to an area that was too tight than anything else.  Once the event was in the later rounds, it was great, but the early rounds were not good for spectators.  I have been to six MS State events and it has gotten snugger every time since it has been at Montgomery County.  

4.  Maybe like at some other tourneys there should be two MOW's, one for light weights and one for heavyweights.  Coltyn Keirns was a man among boys but because he was a heavy, he had no shot at winning the award, despite pinning every kid, and going to the second period only once.  If that is not MOW, I don't know what is.

5.  Finals singlets for finalists were great.  Hats off to the person who came up with that idea.

Agree with all your points. They did an awesome job picking out the medals. Keirns definitely deserved the MOW. The only thing is the location. It's tight in that areana for the first few rounds, but where else could it be held? It's not big enough for the horse park or Frankfort.

I felt the tournament ran very smooth. The competition was fantastic. Keeping the parents up top is a great idea. Hat's off to wrestlers, coaches, and refs! As Ron Burgandy woulld say, "you kept it classy!"

Dare I suggest it should be a 2 day event? Run round 1 and a consolation round on Friday night and that "frees up" a lot of extra space since the 0-2 wrestlers and/or their parents can leave if they want to (depending on the team, of course).

There's a great reason the NFHS rules have a 5 match per day limit. That's a rule KSWA ignores and it should be listed as an exception in the bylaws, which it's now btw, rule 14 and 14.1. A two day tournament would take care of this issue.

Other middle school state tournaments in nearby states have two day state tournaments. Maybe it's time for us to do the same?

Dare I suggest it should be a 2 day event? Run round 1 and a consolation round on Friday night and that "frees up" a lot of extra space since the 0-2 wrestlers and/or their parents can leave if they want to (depending on the team, of course).

There's a great reason the NFHS rules have a 5 match per day limit. That's a rule KSWA ignores and it should be listed as an exception in the bylaws, which it's now btw, rule 14 and 14.1. A two day tournament would take care of this issue.

Other middle school state tournaments in nearby states have two day state tournaments. Maybe it's time for us to do the same?

Ding ding ding ...we have a winna here

Much sympathy for the Union and Johnson County folks who have to drive 8 hours to get anywhere :).

However, when 90% of the wrestlers live within 1 hour of the NKy and Louisville areas isn't it a bit odd that they all drive somewhere east of Lexington for the state tournament?

I just saw a thread on here where a coach and his sons were in a very serious accident returning home from State. That could happen to anyone and anywhere, but lets minimize the travel time for the most people. Hopefully the KSWA can find a place between NKy and Louisville that works.

Frankfort Civic Center! Perfect location. Central KY, plenty of space, keep it a 1 day tournament. 2 day tournaments means more parents have to spend more $$$$.

Frankfort Civic Center! Perfect location. Central KY, plenty of space, keep it a 1 day tournament. 2 day tournaments means more parents have to spend more $$$$.

Perhaps, but 5 and potentially 6 bouts in a day is not good for children. And sitting in a gym for 12+ hours is absurd. Run it in 2 days like everyone else does.

Perhaps, but 5 and potentially 6 bouts in a day is not good for children. And sitting in a gym for 12+ hours is absurd. Run it in 2 days like everyone else does.[/quote Easy fix. You lose first round your out! That leaves 8 kids to battle for 1st thru 8th. Indiana does it this way, maybe we should too so we can be like everyone else.

Indiana probably does it that way in order to abide by the established rule set by NFHS. First round losers are the only ones in danger of the 5 match limit.

Meanwhile KSWA purports to follow NFHS (and even lists the exceptions where they can't/won't such as weight classes etc.), but ignores the 5 match rule.

When we ignore the rules and then cram 6 matches in it hurts the sport and the kids.

Ok. Enough. I do not see a 2 day event happening. If we tried to wrestle on Friday kids would have to miss school which I can't see being supported by many folks. Not to mention the expense. Not gonna happen. Second 5 match rule. You are technically correct. It is not spelled out in the bylaws. Oversight by prior administration. It will be addressed with the next publication. But it was well communicated and discussed that we will no longer follow the 5 match rule. It was proposed discussed and voted on by the coaches of this association. Yes it goes against the nfhs. But I believe the folks at USA wrestling know a little bit about this sport. So following their guidelines is a pretty safe approach.

Ok. Enough. I do not see a 2 day event happening. If we tried to wrestle on Friday kids would have to miss school which I can't see being supported by many folks. Not to mention the expense. Not gonna happen. Second 5 match rule. You are technically correct. It is not spelled out in the bylaws. Oversight by prior administration. It will be addressed with the next publication. But it was well communicated and discussed that we will no longer follow the 5 match rule. It was proposed discussed and voted on by the coaches of this association. Yes it goes against the nfhs. But I believe the folks at USA wrestling know a little bit about this sport. So following their guidelines is a pretty safe approach.

I'm sorry. I thought this was a discussion forum. I thought it was a place to discuss ideas and debate things in order to possibly make them better. "Enough"? I beg your forgiveness, your majesty.

the only problem is that you are using NFHS ceft. referees and going by USA wrestling by laws and rules. You are really not covered by liability if someone is hurt. You need to make sure all referees have USA wrestling cards

Bocowrestling - good feedback. I was actually a little surprised we started as early as we did yesterday. There were an unusually high number of changes to the brackets this year (both prior to Saturday and that morning). We roll up alternates, even from other regions to fill the brackets. We allowed some extra tine for coaches to review the brackets to help ensure there are no errors. The coaches meeting is a little longer due to the number of people involved and the points of emphasis. Getting table workers going is also an issue at times.

John Roth (coach at Walton and KSWA vp) deserves much of the credit on the medals. He also had a lot of input on the singlets.

Kwoa and Keith smith have helped us make sure officials are USA certified. We are covered under USA wrestling and all post season events are sanctioned and covered.

I believe they hold elections every 2 years. If you don't like the way things are run then run for an office and make the changes. People need to get involved and not just complain. Just my 2 cents.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately you usually can't get those complainers to put their coke and hot dogs down long enough to even work a score table.

I'm all for feedback. Ask any middle school coach. I ask and ask and ask for them to provide feedback on what we can do better. The vast majority of them understand what goes into making this event and organization run.

Ranger, there is no doubt that you have done a lot of work for the sport, but don't for a minute let that fact cloud that you are extremely replaceable. Don't come o n here demanding anything. Bottom line is there is a problem that needs fixed. We are discussing solutions. That's what we do. So enjoy another dominate performance from yesterday, but come back to earth soon and realize that you are dealing with grown adults not middle school kids.

First off I never claimed to be the end all be all. My friend raidercoach dubbed me he grand poobah. In fact I have sought out replacements for my position. Ms coaches across the state know exactly how many were interested.

As far as the dominating performance that is all the kids. Ask anyone that knows me will tell you that I give all the credit to those boys on the mat. They put in the hrs and hrs on the mat and the weight room. I do my small part to help guide them and hopefully prepare them as best I can. But they do the hard part and deserve the credit.

As for discussing solutions a more effective approach is for coaches to participate in the association meetings.