Sign in to follow this  
eville dad

Best KY Team Ever?

Not sure bout college wrestling , but three are referees now. Have not seen them all much, but Goodrich is one of the best up and coming refs I've seen.

• Upvote 1

Not sure bout college wrestling , but three are referees now. Have not seen them all much, but Goodrich is one of the best up and coming refs I've seen.

Thanks! Great to know the guys are still involved.

Richard Starks had a good career wrestling for Army, I think he was varsity all 4 years.

I thought I heard Coty Lewis wrestled a few years out in Iowa, and Harrison Courtney was at Lindsey Wilson.

That was a good group of kids and parents, always fun to wrestle against them and to see them wrestle.

Hope they are all doing well!

I still think your best team ever in Ky has to be based off the total points a team scored in the state tournament.  Cam Co. may very well be the best team ever this year, if they score over 257.5 points.  South Oldham not only broke the record for most points scored but no one was within 72 points of them.  I do think that if the 1997 Woodford team was in a 32 man bracket instead of the 16 they would have broke the 257.5.  All these other teams that are being mention weren’t good enough to dominate the competition like these two did during their time and in my eyes that is what your better teams do; they don’t just win they own the competition. 

Well , CC run isn't over I see a few college kids in last yr and this yrs crew there ,I never heard of most of those guys and I prettying focus on how kids do against tough comp not against kids who never wrestle anyone outside of their state , regardless , I could say CC has the best team

Ever at CC and most would say no way or argue with me over a group of kids that didn't even know where Fargo was let alone wrestle there .

The best ever is the best now so we will see in a couple weeks , 13 is a lucky number

The Mighty Pioneers of Simon Kenton won a State Championship in 87 when there was a SEMI STATE, I repeat SEMI STATE...

That is top 4 out of district (region 6), Top 4 of Region (Region 6 and Oldham county Region), Top 4 to SEMI State (2 more regions combine).

Then a 1 day 8 MAN BRACKET STATE. The best of the best.

SK finished with...

2 State champs

2 Runner Ups

2 3rds

8 qualifers of 12 weights, not 14 in a watered down 32 man bracket. Over 100 points, which is equivalent to 300 in the 32 man bracket.

Hard to top the Yellow Jackets with 5 state champs, a state champ is a state champ no matter how many brackets,but the placers make a big difference. and SK without out a doubt would have had a run like south oldham if 14 weights and 32 man brackets. not 12 weights, and 8 man bracket. Also undefeated in dual competition and won all tournaments.

Think about it, top 4, then top 4 then top 4, then Elite 8. 4 consecutive weeksk of weigh ins and top caliber competition, even then Region 6 dominated.

Unfortunately, some top level competitors never placed or even qualified for that matter. Meat grinder at its finest.

Great points by all, never gonna know how one great team would have fared against another and in that is the great debate.

There is alot to debate about what makes the best team, you decide: total points, total champs, total placers, total team, # of teams, # of wrestlers, its all good.

It's great to hear from so many supporting their own teams or generation,

We collectively are KY Wrestling, from every corner, stand tall and be proud.

Every year the state gets better and this year will be the same, so good luck to all, wrestle your best, give it your all and no regrets! 

The Mighty Pioneers of Simon Kenton won a State Championship in 87 when there was a SEMI STATE, I repeat SEMI STATE...

That is top 4 out of district (region 6), Top 4 of Region (Region 6 and Oldham county Region), Top 4 to SEMI State (2 more regions combine).

Then a 1 day 8 MAN BRACKET STATE. The best of the best.

SK finished with...

2 State champs

2 Runner Ups

2 3rds

8 qualifers of 12 weights, not 14 in a watered down 32 man bracket. Over 100 points, which is equivalent to 300 in the 32 man bracket.

Hard to top the Yellow Jackets with 5 state champs, a state champ is a state champ no matter how many brackets,but the placers make a big difference. and SK without out a doubt would have had a run like south oldham if 14 weights and 32 man brackets. not 12 weights, and 8 man bracket. Also undefeated in dual competition and won all tournaments.

Think about it, top 4, then top 4 then top 4, then Elite 8. 4 consecutive weeksk of weigh ins and top caliber competition, even then Region 6 dominated.

Unfortunately, some top level competitors never placed or even qualified for that matter. Meat grinder at its finest.

Who were there champs that year ? I would assume Barnes was one of them.. I know Cliff Woods was on that team, I graduated in 86 from SK when Jamie Baugh won his title

Union County in 1980 had 6 wrestlers in the finals, 4 state champs, 2 seconds, 2 thirds and a fourth. There were only 12 weight classes at the time. I believe they scored 182 team points.

Ok here are some old teams that would have to be considered.

1980 Union Co.  (12 wt. classes only placed the top 6)

Ervin, Robert        98 3rd

Smith, James       105 2nd

Gibson, Mark        119 1st

Davis, Kenny        126 1st

Brown, Maurice    132 1st

Hines, Mark          138 2nd

Wilson, James      155

Wedding, Robbie  167 1st

Buckman, William 185 4th

Lovell, David         Hwt 5th

Thats 6 finalist out of 12 (half the team)

4 champions (1/3 of the team

9 out of 12 placers.

1986 Hopkinsville (12 wt. classes only place top 6)

Rueff, Phill                 98

Poindexter, John         119      3rd

Huddleston, Tim         132

Poindexter, David       138      2nd

Herring, Aaron            145      1st

Bailey, Steve               167      1st

Halloway, Roger         185      1st

Herring, Gartha           Hwt     1st

1990 Campbell Co. (13 wt. classes only place top 6)

Wilkens, Brandon       103      4th

Gray, Glenn                112      3rd

Meyer, Mickey            130      5th

Hagen, Chris               135      5th

Segura, Jay                  140

Barrett, Marc               145      5th

Strause, Mike              152      4th

Zinga, Curt                  160      1st

Hagen, Phil                 171      3rd

Turner, Rick                189      3rd

Newman, Jim              Hwt     3rd

Only 1 champion but had 10 placers out of 13.

Who were there champs that year ? I would assume Barnes was one of them.. I know Cliff Woods was on that team, I graduated in 86 from SK when Jamie Baugh won his title

Here is the SK team you are talking about

Everman, Jeff              98        1st

Reimer, Chuck            105      1st

Long, Paul                   119      3rd

Barnes, David             126      2nd

Lee, Pat                       145

Feuhner, David           155      2nd

Woods, Cliff               167      3rd

Brosky, David             185

Lee, Bob                     Hwt

David Barnes would win it the next year.

Here is the SK team you are talking about

Everman, Jeff              98        1st

Reimer, Chuck            105      1st

Long, Paul                   119      3rd

Barnes, David             126      2nd

Lee, Pat                       145

Feuhner, David           155      2nd

Woods, Cliff               167      3rd

Brosky, David             185

Lee, Bob                     Hwt

David Barnes would win it the next year.

Thanks that brings back good memories ! A lot of those guys were and are very close friends of mine

I'd put This years CC team up against any of the states past team and I'd say CC beats them all
I would take that bet. I am sure coaches of those "teams of old "would as well. Win or lor lose it would be fun to see. One thing is for sure, technique has evolved greatly over the years.
  • Upvote 1

Ok here are some old teams that would have to be considered.

1980 Union Co. (12 wt. classes only placed the top 6)

Ervin, Robert 98 3rd

Smith, James 105 2nd

Gibson, Mark 119 1st

Davis, Kenny 126 1st

Brown, Maurice 132 1st

Hines, Mark 138 2nd

Wilson, James 155

Wedding, Robbie 167 1st

Buckman, William 185 4th

Lovell, David Hwt 5th

Thats 6 finalist out of 12 (half the team)

4 champions (1/3 of the team

9 out of 12 placers.

1986 Hopkinsville (12 wt. classes only place top 6)

Rueff, Phill 98

Poindexter, John 119 3rd

Huddleston, Tim 132

Poindexter, David 138 2nd

Herring, Aaron 145 1st

Bailey, Steve 167 1st

Halloway, Roger 185 1st

Herring, Gartha Hwt 1st

1990 Campbell Co. (13 wt. classes only place top 6)

Wilkens, Brandon 103 4th

Gray, Glenn 112 3rd

Meyer, Mickey 130 5th

Hagen, Chris 135 5th

Segura, Jay 140

Barrett, Marc 145 5th

Strause, Mike 152 4th

Zinga, Curt 160 1st

Hagen, Phil 171 3rd

Turner, Rick 189 3rd

Newman, Jim Hwt 3rd

Only 1 champion but had 10 placers out of 13.

Now add all of those wrestlers combined wins over out of state comp in those yrs , and I bet this yrs CC team has more than all of them !!!

I think people are missing the point , take. That CC team for instance , send all of them to NHSCAs or a larger tournament and maybe , one places , this yrs CC team has 6 possibly more that can compete and place on a national level , X has a few , Sk has a couple , union has a few ,

The super teams of the good old days were big fish in a little little pond , Kentucky isn't a little pond anymore it's not full of small weak teams that can be dominated by a couple good ones ,

Those teams were not the level of a few that are around the state currently . And yeah intelligenty I wasn't there but intelligently , ask youself could the kids in corresponding weights hang with the same on unions , Xs , CC , or some of the others , or go out of state and make waves every go ,

You know they couldnt , how many AAs were on those teams goo ??? And Yes Stephen would have smoked Zinga , and Austin would have pinned Shearer in the first period and Fausz is a better technical wrestler than any of those CC wrestlers mentioned , and CC current team would blast that team in a decent tournament ,

I guess when everyone looks back at this or last yrs team at CC and says how many of them went D1or 2 or whatever , people will figure it out , but most will still argue for the oldies .

And before some hater says you were not there , I was all over and , trust me there were no Fauszs no Brocks , no Lampes ,no ATMs , there could have been some Coopers but no Kevin's no Bostons or Lawson's or Clays , or Yenters or Fahys or Bobby Bryant's , no Canters , no SAMs ,

There probably were some PHs but they were playing Basketball , no Carrs , no kids who could come out of no where and be good anywhere like French , Meiman , Adams ,

I think Jeff Evermen was one of the champs

It's hard to compare era's. 

You have to imagine taking those teams and give them the training of this era's teams

As for out of state comp. I'm sure CC was going across the river back then, They have been ever since Bankemper took the team.

Now add all of those wrestlers combined wins over out of state comp in those yrs , and I bet this yrs CC team has more than all of them !!!

I think people are missing the point , take. That CC team for instance , send all of them to NHSCAs or a larger tournament and maybe , one places , this yrs CC team has 6 possibly more that can compete and place on a national level , X has a few , Sk has a couple , union has a few ,

The super teams of the good old days were big fish in a little little pond , Kentucky isn't a little pond anymore it's not full of small weak teams that can be dominated by a couple good ones ,

Those teams were not the level of a few that are around the state currently . And yeah intelligenty I wasn't there but intelligently , ask youself could the kids in corresponding weights hang with the same on unions , Xs , CC , or some of the others , or go out of state and make waves every go ,

You know they couldnt , how many AAs were on those teams goo ??? And Yes Stephen would have smoked Zinga , and Austin would have pinned Shearer in the first period and Fausz is a better technical wrestler than any of those CC wrestlers mentioned , and CC current team would blast that team in a decent tournament ,

I guess when everyone looks back at this or last yrs team at CC and says how many of them went D1or 2 or whatever , people will figure it out , but most will still argue for the oldies .

And before some hater says you were not there , I was all over and , trust me there were no Fauszs no Brocks , no Lampes ,no ATMs , there could have been some Coopers but no Kevin's no Bostons or Lawson's or Clays , or Yenters or Fahys or Bobby Bryant's , no Canters , no SAMs ,

There probably were some PHs but they were playing Basketball , no Carrs , no kids who could come out of no where and be good anywhere like French , Meiman , Adams ,

I love this debate. It is very hard to compare different era's in any sport. I believe this year's CC team probably has the best group of nationally competitive kids KY has ever seen. However, it is it yet to be seen how much more dominant this team is over the rest of the state. I think UC is right on their heals. I know some of those WC teams destroyed the rest of the state and the 87 SK team just ran over everyone. That SK team had amazing talent, senior leadership and probably the best coaching staff in Ky at the time with Bill Boyle, Mark Townsley, Bill Barker and Stan Martin. The intensity in that practice room was insane. They made wrestling cool at SK in a basketball crazy school and that legacy has carried over ever since.