Sign in to follow this  
Josh_Claywell

Gary Canter retiring

Wonderful article Josh. I know have been a little critical on him for never winning the state title but there is nothing short of amazing that Coach Canter has done for the program in its entire history. His accolades are tremendous and I'm not sure if he's in the state hall of fame, but he deserves to be in it. Always a nice guy to talk to.

That was a fine article Josh and cudos to you for taking the time to write it.

I have not posted on this board in a long, long time but I couldn't let this one go without throwing in my two cents worth, so bear with me:

I have known Gary and his family for a long time and consider him and them the dearest of friends. This friendship developed after having two sons wrestle for him and becoming deeply involved as a parent (and supporter) of the program.

As a "former" parent, I have had a lot of time to reflect on what all took place during and after my kid's careers were over and I have graciously concluded that, while at the time, wrestling was a huge priority in our lives, it just really doesn't seem all that important now. Yeah, I occasionally think back on past triumphs and champioships and so forth but mostly I think about all the fun we had that wasn't necessarily directly related to "wrestling matches". Some of my fondest non-wrestling memories are:

Slink's cussing and resulting push-ups, rafting the New River, Cedar Point x2, Rafting the South Fork, Red River Gorge, Catskill Mountains, The Arch and Busch Stadium in St. Louis, Allegheny Mountains, Niagra Falls (in March no less....BRRR!!!!!), Spider Man act in Georgia, Disney World in Florida (I hate that place), Valdosta GA and meeting Hal Mummy's former secretary (her talking 'bout what a great guy he was, give me a break!), Yount making us laugh so hard on road trips, charter buses, THE HAUNTED BARN, The Oaks and Derby...Whohooooo!!!, Perez and g.f. slipping away from Mater Dei (Gosh, I've never seen Canter that mad), banquets, the S.P. laugh, 99, 01 and your's truly 07, actually getting to know Frankie Edgar pre UFC, everything Brience ever said or did, Albany, Cleveland, Buffalo, Clarion, Boone, Atlanta, Orlando,Nashville, St. Louis, Detroit or most cities I would never have visited without a reason to go, which Gary provided.

I do have some "wrestling" memories as well:

State Tournament (God we should have had that thing in the bag in "07), State Duals the first in 99 and especially back to back in '06 & '07, Brience puking on the Woodford kid's back at State, our kid's singing the school fight song after winning in Georgia and watching all of those people stare at them, Shipp turning from an uncoordinated goofball into a somewhat average athelete, the rivalry with Woodford...man that was awesome while it lasted....The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat, what sport is and it's how you handle both that proves your character (mine not so good).

So Gary, thanks for bringing wrestling to LCHS and developing the program into a power and also for allowing us to be a small part of it, we're going to miss you in that regard. I know you well enough to say that it is time to step aside and enjoy your life, climb a rock, hike a trail, raft a river and anything else you want to do. For me personally, just want to say thanks for...taking me places I never would have gone, showing me things I never would have seen (especially at Oaks and Derby), and letting me hear things I didn't need to hear, like your corny jokes that you just can't seem to forget...and Slink's profanity which has scarred me for life.

Slink's profanity is, um, quite legendary. Canter has told me all kinds of stories about him, stuff I had no clue happened, and I was in the same class with the guy and consider him one of my best friends.

I'll never forget my sophomore and junior years when I took a class Canter taught. Both of them were during wrestling season, so I'd typically be doing something for him involving the team -- be it working on stats or whatever -- and not have to worry as much about classwork. It was awesome.

I'm glad I've gotten to know him better in the years I've been able to cover him and his teams.

Great post Happy Pappy.....loved it !    Best of luck Coach Canter.  The sport of wrestling in the state is better off because of you Coach.  You are the real deal and a Hall of Famer in my book.   Class act from the day I met you.  I remember Caleb taking it to my son a few years back before Caleb started to grow and grow.....Great kid and my pick at 170 this year for a State Championship.....Would be the best way to go out for you and hoping he gets it. Any good man out there usually has a GOOD woman to push him along and you seem to have a winner.  Caleb is blessed with parents who are special.  I want to personally thank you for coaching my son for Team Kentucky this past year, it was an honor to have you in his corner.  You have made an impact in hundreds and hundreds of young men's live in the best sport on the planet. That is special these days, our kids need role models and leaders like yourself to learn from....You have that gift.  Congratulations again on all your achievements on the mat and off.  It has been an honor to have met you and watch you in the corner.  May God Bless you and your family....We are going to miss you !

I havent posted often, but I think Happy Pappy left one memory off the list that he shared with me: 1-800-Billy Clark, or something to that effect.   A certain moderator on this board may find that interesting.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Kentucky-USA-Wrestling/144561362242407

posted earlier on fackbook ky usaw page

Gary,

Congrats on a great wrestling Career at Larue Co. and your final home dual tonight.

I must admit that i worked to shadow your program to help my team improve, and I have learned much from you on coaching strategy in the corner for Duals over the years. You as well as i, can recall how close our teams got to winning a state team title (2007), but never came to be. You really deserved a state team title.

Although Region 2 rivals, i have always wished you and your team well at the state tournament. It has truely been an honor to have you as a rival and Region 2 coaching peer. You have had a great run and know that you still have much to offer to wrestling in Kentucky. I hope that Kentucky USA Wrestling can call upon you for your knowledge and coaching skills to continue our goals to the betterment and improvement of wrestling in Kentucky.

Best wishes with your short retirement in wrestling,

Yours in Friendship and Wrestling,

Thanks for your support, Keith D Smith Kentucky USA Wrestling Chairman (270) 351-0515 Keithsmith27@msn.com http://kymat.org/

That 2007 season was unreal. I believe that's my favorite season I've covered since I became a sports writer. So much intensity between the two teams, but you guys still respected the heck out of each other.

• Upvote 1