Sign in to follow this  
fanofwrestling6

Is wrestling a team sport ?

I really didn't know that much about wrestling until my nephew started in middle school. I've coached high school softball, and many summer teams and am lucky enough in my life to have been a part of 3 world championship softball teams . The kids grew older and figured if I'm going to watch or learn something I want it to be with my family. I coached softball with my dad and am so glad I had the opportunity to spend that much time with him. I now have 2 kids my self (although there 3-7 and girls I doubt wrestling will be in their future.

My nephew was wrestling in middle school and was just an average wrestler but it was fun to go watch him I thought as long as it was local. I watched him cry after losing several matches and thought hey you did your best why cry about it ? He was motivated to become better and kept asking me questions about lifting weights,and just general conversations about getting stronger. When he entered his freshman year he was getting a lot stronger and won 16 matches varsity matches in only his 3rd year of wrestling and my little scrawny nephew starting getting bigger and started getting ripped and had a firm grip on his handshake. Now I was really starting to take notice.

I saw him just miss going to state and finish 6th in a very tough 160 pound weight class he just said that he was never going to miss an opportunity like that again. His next year he was doing about 400 push ups a day working out at the the gym like a madman and learning from summer wrestling coaches. I don't know if I ever saw a kid with that much determination and heart. That got me very interested on what's there about this sport that could drive someone that much. I remember going to his first match his sophomore year and wow I felt sorry for the kid he was wrestling. He threw him around the ring like a super ball on a parking lot. His teammates were cheering . I thought wow this is intense. His friend that's on the team is extremely good and I watched them warm up and started learning about his other teammates. Watching them cut weight, not eat, staying home every Friday night and I'm still amazed at the dedication you need to excel at this awesome sport. For these kids showing up at school at 5:30 in the morning then driving tournaments, weighing in and preparing to wrestle day after day and week after week He did make it to state last last year and even won a match against a ranked opponent and lost his 2 other matches by scores of 7-4 and 6-4. He now does 800 push ups a day and he's in a very tough weight class in by far the toughest region. If he doesn't make it back to state this year geeze I feel sorry for whomever he wrestles first during his senior year. Yes I'm a proud uncle

Brings me to this Question . Is wrestling a team sport ? I read some of this off another chat board but thought of all the topics this was by far the most interesting. My answer is this :

During the actual competition, you're on your own, but most matches are won or lost in the practice room. Many a wrestler would not have reached the heights they did without loyal, dedicated, motivated teammates to push, encourage and mentor them. Funny, played all kinds of team sports before discovering wrestling, yet I never had anywhere near the kinship that these kids have with there teammates and even the mutual respect that they have for there competition. Wrestling to me is probably the strongest of all team sports that I've ever seen. I root for my nephews teammates as hard as I do for him. I'm proud to support such a sport and my nephew that has grown into a man and he's only 16.

• Upvote 1

Nice post , I have been told by other sports coaches that wrestling is not a team sport it's all

Individual and a kid or two doesn't do anything to help a team or school , only themselves ,

Obviously , the coach from the other sport did not wrestle , every kid with a different move skill or type of wrestling style a kid wrestles And trains with adds to his abilities , his defense and his offense top bottom

Neutral no two wrestlers are alike and the variety prepares wrestlers for the variety in opponents ,

When thinking of team it's the same as other team sports only more so .

A good team will pick up

Moves from its individual's who have good ones it will take what's good and see what's bad and throw it away .

No question it's a team sport , of course it's only one on the mat in a match but its not won on the mat in the match ,it's won in the Room , and there's the answer .

It is a team sport all the way through and through. Yes u are wrestling as a individual but ur team makes u as a wrestler. U feed of one another and it drives u todo better. U wrestle all week with teammates and on saturday u are pushing one another todo good. Or at least should be. That why it's important for the captains and upperclassman to take Lil ones under their wing and make slayer they produce so that eeryones winning leadingto team victories. Without teammates to wrestle with u don't get any better. Shadowing in a room all day everyday, helps alittle but in the end u need those kids to help u get the edge on everyone. Everyone on the squad has a job. Not jet one person ='s a TEAM

fanofwrestling6 - What a great post and a very debatable question for some.  Not for me.  Wrestling for me, is unquestionably, a team sport.  You can't do it alone without teamates, coaches, brothers, sisters, mom or dad.  You need everything that you said and you get everything that you work for.  However, you will also get a humbling loss that brings you back to reality and you realize that life just isn't always fair and you keep working and striving to do better.  In this sport, I would rather have kids that I can coach that have zero skill and have all of the desire and will to learn to love this sport and improve.  I always say...we can teach anyone to wrestle, but you have to have the desire to learn and will to keep going when things are tough.  Will and desire can't be taught, imo.  This sport isn't for everyone.  You have to want to be at practice, want to compete, want to learn, want to get better and want to give it your all.  If you don't...this team sport probably isn't for you.

This team sport will teach you quite a few things.  One that has always stuck in my head is...there will always be someone better than you at this sport.  Hence the amount of training during the offseason to get better.  if you don't train smarter, harder and more often then the next kid....you will get left behind.  Kinda like life. 

Now, I know your nephew and he started wrestling for me in middle school.  Great kid, less than average skill when he started, but he has the things that I wish every kid has that I coach....the heart, desire and will to keep working to get better, to learn all that he can, and work harder than the kids that he is wrestling.  I am surprised every time I see him and the improvement he has made over past few years.  I'll be honest...he couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper sack when he was younger.  But, with the hard work and effort he has put into this sport, he will achieve more of his goals....now he just has to believe in himself and have the confidence that his hard work is paying off.  BTW...he's a great kid.  Keep fighting until the last whistle blows and then when the dust settles....win or lose...he will know his hard work has paid off.  If he has done all that he can do, gave 100% and still comes up short...that's ok.   

Good luck kid.  You'll do great and I'll be cheering for you.  Hardwork pays!           

For the hard headed or non believer , take the dual scenario , team A has a stud at 113 team B also has a stud at 113 but cannot beat team A 113 but can beat their 120 and team b has a 113 backup that can hold his own and not give up 6 while their 120 will

Give up six if the 113 doesn't go up , team Bs

113 bumps and gets the pin while their backup loses

But gives up only a decision , team B moves ahead by 3

Team sport no question ,

Funny , coaches in other sports move kids around ,All THE TIME for you guessed it "THE TEAM "

And in wrestling you don't see a special award for most points scored but those points go to THE TEAM for TEAM POINTS that determines the TEAM Champs .

Wrestling is cooler , and more of a team sport even than football or basketball , If a kid is small but dominates he can be the star and he shines bright , in football , you don't hear about star lineman or safety's or corners as much as star QBs or backs , Now what's looking like a team and what's looking like an individual sport .

I'm wrestling a 113 lb kid who can't be touched is as important as a 182 lb kid with the same record . That's because it's equal

Less political and more of a team

Sport , individual of course but just as much accomplishment for the team . Some say individual I would reply with less political and have those that are saying it stare in the mirror , keeping it real most of the it's not a team thing comes from

Those involved with other sports , then again it is

Individual

When it comes to fairness , if I'm a wrestling coach and I want a kid to join the team I say , son this is the sport for you you get what you put in its you and your opponent on the mat and you earn your spot outright , that sounds very individual and it's true but that's a coach getting kids on the team ,

Wrestling is probably the most misunderstood team sport anyway many people don't even know how to score a match let alone determine if its team or individual .

Heck I see refs at big tournys that can't score it , they allow tackles out of bounds :)

My stance on wrestling. Even though you are on your own on the mat, you do grow a close bond in the training room with your team mates. It's the best of both worlds. Because you can earn a first place on the podium but your team my only come in 2nd or 3rd if it wasn't for the other guys winning their wrestle backs for team points. So it is both a team and a individual sport. Of your not involved you will not understand how close wrestlers an wrestling families are. You sweat, bleed, cry, and cheer with eachother. It is the most awesome sport that their is. It don't matter if which side of the tracks you come from. Or who's Daddy knows who's Daddy. Every kid gets the same opportunity. Not like in basketball or the other sports. Every kid that starts earned that spot with a wrestle off. Now you say you have 2 girls. Well let me tell you more and more girl are wrestling and there is big opportunities for female wrestlers at the college ranks.

fanofwrestling6 - What a great post and a very debatable question for some.  Not for me.  Wrestling for me, is unquestionably, a team sport.  You can't do it alone without teamates, coaches, brothers, sisters, mom or dad.  You need everything that you said and you get everything that you work for.  However, you will also get a humbling loss that brings you back to reality and you realize that life just isn't always fair and you keep working and striving to do better.  In this sport, I would rather have kids that I can coach that have zero skill and have all of the desire and will to learn to love this sport and improve.  I always say...we can teach anyone to wrestle, but you have to have the desire to learn and will to keep going when things are tough.  Will and desire can't be taught, imo.  This sport isn't for everyone.  You have to want to be at practice, want to compete, want to learn, want to get better and want to give it your all.  If you don't...this team sport probably isn't for you.

This team sport will teach you quite a few things.  One that has always stuck in my head is...there will always be someone better than you at this sport.  Hence the amount of training during the offseason to get better.  if you don't train smarter, harder and more often then the next kid....you will get left behind.  Kinda like life. 

Now, I know your nephew and he started wrestling for me in middle school.  Great kid, less than average skill when he started, but he has the things that I wish every kid has that I coach....the heart, desire and will to keep working to get better, to learn all that he can, and work harder than the kids that he is wrestling.  I am surprised every time I see him and the improvement he has made over past few years.  I'll be honest...he couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper sack when he was younger.  But, with the hard work and effort he has put into this sport, he will achieve more of his goals....now he just has to believe in himself and have the confidence that his hard work is paying off.  BTW...he's a great kid.  Keep fighting until the last whistle blows and then when the dust settles....win or lose...he will know his hard work has paid off.  If he has done all that he can do, gave 100% and still comes up short...that's ok.   

Good luck kid.  You'll do great and I'll be cheering for you.  Hardwork pays!           

Thank you very much I know he will be successful in life and in work and in relationships because of people like yourself that have taken the   time to teach, care  and listen. Thanks, Coach !

Awesom stuff. We have several great coach's in NKY that never get the credit that they deseve. For my family, it all started in MS where vol coach's took the time to teach and push for the love of the sport, not to mention the love they show by still showing up when they can to support at the HS level. Wrestling has been the best thing to ever happen to our son for many reasons. Thanks to all of the coach's that are out there helping boys become men, no matter where your coaching.

Although wrestling is perceived as an individual sport, the best programs train their wrestlers to compete as a team. Your teammates count on you to not only to do your best, but also to push them to exceed their limits. Sometimes someone must sacrifice personal success for that of the team. Unselfishness is a valuable lesson, especially for high school and college age students some of whom have adopted the motto of street signs – “One Way”. The quality individual will pursue his or her personal best as long as it doesn’t interfere with the goals of the team, and in addition, push teammates to do the same. Any coach would love to have such an individual, and any CEO would feel likewise.

Sadly, life provides us all with numerous opportunities to face and overcome adversity and disappointment. The severity can vary from personal injury to failed relationships to the most devastating – loss of a loved one. The degree of challenging situations in wrestling fall somewhere within the spectrum defined above. Wrestlers experience gut wrenching physical and emotional pain. In the best situations, wrestlers are taught to deal with a variety of obstacles that may trip them up on the way to their goals – grades, weight, injuries, opponents, parents, and unfavorable calls. Most learn to prepare as best they can for the expected. When suffering an unanticipated setback two paths present themselves – simply quit, or gather yourself, learn from the experience, and work even harder to prepare better next time. A wrestler is strongly guided towards the latter – repeatedly. When a wrestling career comes to an end, whether on a positive or negative note, wrestlers who prepared and competed by constantly pushing themselves beyond their perceived personal limits will have no regrets.

Come to think of it, that is not a bad epitaph – “No Regrets”.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with wrestling being a team sport. 

Many of you point out that it is a team sport because you need your teammates in practive.  This is true in any sport Individual or Team.  Cross County runners need thier teammates to push them, tennis players need parters to practice with.  If you use this as a definition then all sports are team with no individual sports.

I personally like to call wrestling a group sport.  As kdsmith mentioned "The quality individual will pursue his or her personal best as long as it doesn’t interfere with the goals of the team"

If each individual on the team pursues his personal best then the team will benifit from this.  It is not a team sport because you do not directly depend on any of your teammates to win your wrestling match or title. High Schools and Colleges have tried to make it a team sport by adding a team win or title.  This was done just to add comradre (sp) and form rivalries with other teams. 

This Group mentality is why I have enjoyed wretling for the 30+ years.  If you are on a team that is not competitive then you can still be succesfull and win your own title.  If you are not succesfull individually you can still be on a succesfull team.  I have experienced both aspects and both can be rewarding in its own way. 

As most of you know (we have had similar discussions in the past).  I don't like the bumping of wrestlers in dual meets to win a dual.  I'm old school, when I wrestled dual wins didn't mean anything, you set your lineup and went with whoever goes out there.

Don't get me wrong I understand the concept of sacrifice for the team and doing what is best for the team, and don't think it is a bad thing for high school kids to learn.  However:  I'm an old dog and it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

This is just my take on the greatest and olderst sport of all time.

In the scope of all things great and small my opinion means very little in the cosmos. 

But I like to tell it anyway.

GOO out.

Great post GOO. Wrestling to say the least is complex. Where person "A" observes this as an individual sport, person "B" perceives it as a team sport. Where I say that this was a takedown, u may totally disagree. I've been an avid wrestling junkie since 1992. This was the year I started competing, I have been competing or coaching every since. The one thing I have learned beyond any other lesson, is there is not any sport that compares to what we do. The majority of my friends are tied to wrestling. Those that I battled, are now friends. Those that coached against me, are now friends. I am who I am because of this great sport. The lessons that I learned in wrestling, still help me in everyday life. Wrestling saved this old man. It saved me when nothing else could. Did I wrestle for my team, of course. Did I wrestle for myself, you bet your ass I did. There is no better feeling than imposing your will on an opponent. There is also no better feeling than seeing a team mate beat someone because of the work they put in. So back to the original question, is wrestling an individual or team sport. My answer is simply this, wrestling can be whatever you need it to be. Do you need to be the man? Wrestle. Do need to dominate someone? Wrestle. Do you need to belong? Wrestle. Do you need a supporting cast? Wrestle. Take away from it what you need, but once you have recieved its gift, pay it back one day. I promised wrestling long ago, although I could never repay what it gave me, I will give the rest of my days trying.

Some teams of wrestlers are just what GOO said of group of wrestlers training together but competing individually.  But some wrestling teams do display the team spirit.  Some of my favorite moments as a wrestling parent/fan is seeing the kid on the team who has very little chance to beat their opponent but they know their mission is simply to not get pinned to protect the team score as much as possible.  I've witnessed kids  push themselves to their max and endure incredible pain on to the mat during a match to achieve their mission for their team.  There's glory in that and the team and fans recognize it and will congratulate that wrestler like he just won his weight class.  That's where I see the team element. 

Would have said no a few years back.  However I have seen what the team element does for individual results.  Guys pushing guys to reach the same goal.  Helping one another get better...that's the definition of team.  I have witnessed this year how a few guys loaded with talent but their heads are somewhere else can effect the entire team negatively.  The team element of wrestling is something that I have grown to appreciate.

• Upvote 1

"Wrestling is not a team sport! When you're out there on the mat for six minutes, there's not a whole hell of a lot a team can do for ya"

-louden swain

But in all seriousness, it is all individual, with some team aspects. If you can help the team without hurting yourself (as in ruining your chances for your best possible placement), then go for it. But in the end, ultimately you have to do whats best for you.

I am not a wrestler nor a coach but I have been a Team Mom for many years and I have watched my sons and their teammates who are like sons to me come together to train, struggle,endure, celebrate, support, encourage and push each other beyond where they ever thought they could go as individuals. Wrestlers are a different breed of athlete and although they each go out on the mat as an individual they bring with them every battle scar, every loss, every triumph and especially every interaction that made them who they are at that moment. Proud to have been around to see these kids become fine young men and look forward to many more years of wrestling.

• Upvote 1

They keep team scores, they give team trophies, to me that alone makes it a team sport. When I coached middle school wrestling I loved when individuals did well but I think the kids enjoyed team victories as much maybe more. I remember we were a last minute substitution at m.s. state duals one year and our team was pretty bad. We didnt win a dual all day until the very last one we beat anderson county on like the fourth tie breaker. Kids on both teams were on the side of the mat cheering more than any football game. Parents were screaming. This was two teams battling it out for last place at state duals. To me it is dedinitely a team sport.

They keep team scores, they give team trophies, to me that alone makes it a team sport. When I coached middle school wrestling I loved when individuals did well but I think the kids enjoyed team victories as much maybe more. I remember we were a last minute substitution at m.s. state duals one year and our team was pretty bad. We didnt win a dual all day until the very last one we beat anderson county on like the fourth tie breaker. Kids on both teams were on the side of the mat cheering more than any football game. Parents were screaming. This was two teams battling it out for last place at state duals. To me it is dedinitely a team sport.

THE END

My question to you is this.  What sports are individual sports than?

I'm sure every sport can claim the same thing.

I'm not sure why everyone wants it to be a team sport.  I always thought the greatest thing about wrestling was its individuality.  I had no one else to blame for my lose than myself.  And I had no one else to take credit for my win. 

The true questions comes down to this.  Would you rather have an individual state title or a team title? 

I honestly don't think there is anyone who would sacrifice thier individual title so that the team would win a title.

But I believe the opposite is true.  You would sacrifice a team title for an individual title for yourself, and I don't believe a coach would ask you to sacrifice your individual title for the team either.  

I would also add this.  If it is a team sport than why have a tournament for individuals.  The only state tournament that should be held is the State (Team) Duals. 

Another example of why I believe it to be a group sport, but if I had to choose it would be an individual sport.