Sign in to follow this  
bigedcoach

Funniest thing to ever come out of the mouth of a referee

Ok HS wrestlers this topic is for the coaches

I was coaching at a tournament today and my kid hits a slide by/duck under and goes behind his opponent and trys to trip him to the mat. The kid gains his balance and runs straight from the middle of the mat to out of bounds. I raised my voice calling for the tech violation and the ref didnt call it. After the match was over the referee came over to me and said he couldnt call fleeing the mat because my kid was chasing him.

Ok this got me to think what is the funniest interaction you have had with an offical, here is mine

Second year of coaching middle school and we are at a tournament in New Albany. Kid from the other school runs a gut wrench and bridge for near fall. blatant locking hands. Referee start to signal the locking hand  grasbing his hands over his head, then all of a sudden he goes to the mat and calls the pin. I confronted the referee and he tells me " Coach I have dry skin and I had an itch"

anyone else have a good story, please dont mention names or schools involved, this topic should be for entertainment and not to embarrass anyone. PS I was ejected in the New Albany story, I was quite calm and had a laugh today, 20 years have mellowed me.

Ref's false teeth at Harrison County in the late 80's when he was signaling and calling 2 for a takedown. Sure would of liked to had that matched videotaped.

I would have blown a snot bubble laughing so hard if I had seen that. I dont know what the ref said when this happened, but my younger brothers witnessed a match in college where a guy was picked up and brought back down to the mat rather hard to his butt. When he hit the mat he crapped all over the mat. I'm guessing the ref said something like "oh sh**!!"

Had a kid wrestling and we are on our back.  Ref smacks the mat but we are in a high bridge to the point that the only two points we have on the mat are; our head and our heels of our feet.  I go to the table to ask how that was a pin and the Ref said he didn't have his whistle in his mouth when he was pinned but he was pinned. 

I had to deal with a ref not too long ago who, in his defense, was not very experienced. Nonetheless, I got ejected for this one. In the first period of a match, my kid hits an underhook pass into a merkle, taking his opponent to the mat and working on top. The ref, all the while, has potentially dangerous signaled but doesn't stop the action. He lets my kid work on top for over a minute until his opponent's back was exposed, then he blows his whistle. He awards my wrestler zero points, saying that his takedown was illegal, thus making the nearfall impossible... I call him over to discuss it and he insists that he had never seen a merkle before so it must be illegal and, get this, that I as a coach shouldn't teach my wrestlers to cheat! I lost it. I had heard the expression "seeing red", but until that moment I didn't think it was literal. The good news is that my wrestler hit a double leg off the next whistle and leg-turked for a pin.

I had to deal with a ref not too long ago who, in his defense, was not very experienced. Nonetheless, I got ejected for this one. In the first period of a match, my kid hits an underhook pass into a merkle, taking his opponent to the mat and working on top. The ref, all the while, has potentially dangerous signaled but doesn't stop the action. He lets my kid work on top for over a minute until his opponent's back was exposed, then he blows his whistle. He awards my wrestler zero points, saying that his takedown was illegal, thus making the nearfall impossible... I call him over to discuss it and he insists that he had never seen a merkle before so it must be illegal and, get this, that I as a coach shouldn't teach my wrestlers to cheat! I lost it. I had heard the expression "seeing red", but until that moment I didn't think it was literal. The good news is that my wrestler hit a double leg off the next whistle and leg-turked for a pin.

This is good, beginning referees are great , especially ones that never wrestled or have limited knowledge. And if they get assigned to a varsity meet. We had this referre show up at our school and thought a takedown was acheived until the hand was on the elbow and a tight waist. he even showed us a pic in the rule book....

That is hilarious. At youth events we see all kinds of crazy stuff. I'm baffled at how many ref's and coaches think a three count is needed for a two point near fall. There is also a ref that always gives our kids grief over deferring by making an "x" with their arms. He demands they use the hand motion to defer....it drives me crazy.

Yeah I know a ref that gives a takedown for a head and arm but no back points ???????

And another that calls kids out of bounds then let's one get a takedown and gives him two points for it , ain't that a hoot .

Wanna see it ????

Youth meet. One wrestler obviously dominating, other wrestler resorts to grabbing headgear and yanking his opponent. From the stands, "C'mon ref! He's gonna throw him into the third row!" Ref shouts back, "Don't worry, there's only two rows!" He stops match and warns kid about headgear, don't remember if points were awarded.................

I had a ref stop a match and proceed to walk over to the bleachers where one of my wrestler's dad was standing about 8 or 9 rows up.  The ref proceeds to tell this dad that if he utters another sound he will be thrown out of the gym.  I know what you're thinking, this dad must have been screaming profanity and hate-filled words about and toward the ref.  Nope.  He was actually just calling out moves to his son hoping to help him.  I went to the ref and said are you serious.  My parent is 8 rows deep, and you're telling him that he can't yell moves toward the mat.  By the way, at the other mat another team was wrestling and the dad of the wrestling was laying on the floor next to the mat beating the side of the mat as his son wrestled.  I didn't get ejected, but it was the beginning of a strained relationship with this ref that has never really gotten better. 

Come to think of it, I have tons of stories where I have gotten into it with refs.  How about a certain ref in region two area that calls pins when wrestlers are no where near pinned, 6 or 8 inches from the mat?