Ranger123

The Middle School List - December 2012

A few updates for your holiday reading pleasure.

70 Favorite: Brown (UH)

Contenders: Goldsmith (North Oldham), Whorton (John Hardin), Mattingly (Apollo), Grandstaff (Conner), Delong (Turkeyfoot), N. Sawyer (Fern Creek), Frietsch (Twenhofel)

75 Favorite: Tucker (Woodford Co)

Contenders: Holub (Turkeyfoot), Higdon (Fairdale), Horton (Ryle), T. Sawyer (Fern Creek), Ketchen-Carter (Campbell Co)

80 Favorite: Yenter (Campbell Co)

Contenders: Roth (Walton), Fitzhugh (River City), J. Sawyer (Fern Creek), Slone (Johnson Co), Moskwa (North Oldham), Wallace (John Hardin)

86 Favorite: Wells (Campbell Co)

Contenders: Ervin (Union Co), Bender (Bluegrass), Whorton (John Hardin), Hahn (Campbell Co), Turner (Trigg), Metcalf (Larue Co), Wheeler (East Oldham)

92 Favorite: Kraeszig (River City)

Contenders: Moore (Campbell Co), Brown (Shamrock), Dodd (Wayne Co), Garcia (Fern Creek), McClintic (East Oldham)

98 Favorite: Smith (Walton)

Contenders: Livers (North Hardin), Hodge (Campbell Co), Roberts (Woodford Co), Chaffee (Ryle), Cambron (Fern Creek), Nixon (Turkeyfoot)

105 Favorite: Sheffer (Union Co)

Contenders: Cook (River City), Hanson (North Hardin), Simpson (Bourbon Co), McGrath (Campbell Co), Mattox (Harrison Co), Gray (Caldwell Co), Ervin (Union Co), Hall (Central Hardin)

113 Favorite: Geordan Blanton (Johnson Co)

Contenders: Miles (River City), Johnson (North Hardin), Oxford (Union Co), Leak (North Hardin), Gilbert (Woodford Co), Barrett (Campbell Co), Middleton (Moore)

121 Favorite: Holden (Campbell Co)

Contenders: Woodward (Walton), Clark (Twenhofel), Hadley (Moore), Anderson (Larue Co), Higgins (Christian Co)

130 Favorite: Griffith (Johnson Co)

Contenders: Branch (Fern Creek), Skinner (Campbell Co), Harrison (Larue Co), Smallwood (John Hardin)

140 Favorite: Andreoni (Woodford Co)

Contenders: Bratcher (Fern Creek), Prosser (McCreary Co), McKinney (Shamrock), Leavell (Christian Co), Jackson (Turkeyfoot), Komjathy (Ryle), Strunk (McCreary Co), Broughton (Meade)

152 Favorite: Cornett (Turkeyfoot)

Contenders: Nickols (North Hardin), Buckman (Union Co), Shacklett (Meade), Williams (North Hardin), Scarberry (Ashland), Taylor (Christian Co), Dulak (Larue Co), Kenny (Central Hardin)

168 Favorite: Hille (Holmes)

Contenders: Phillips (North Hardin), Sell (Meade), McQueary (Moore)

190 Favorite: Ruber (Walton)

Contenders: Major (Christian Co), Luna (John Hardin), Lawrence (River City)

230 Favorite: Slone (Johnson Co)

Contenders: Kearins (Conner), Mitchell (Elkhorn), Priddy (Fern Creek), Wolf (Hawks)

School Teams: Campbell Co, Twenhofel, Christian Co, Turkeyfoot

Club Teams: River City, Union Co, Fern Creek, John Hardin

Nice updates. I see some kids are moving or settling into their weights. Don't be so hard on your boy. One loss will just wake up the beast.

I love to see the Favorites, but the Contenders lists are 6-9 deep and growing with talent. Things are going to be fun in February. Can't wait to watch the best of the best on KY go at it.

Who are the sleepers that are going to make some noise? Come on, I know your out there.

I have seen a lot of new names added to Ranger's list. That means a lot of kids are working to get better. Trithis you asked for some sleepers that are not on the list so I thought I would give you a few.

Jordan Hanh 80lb (campbell co)

Brayden Mulcahy 92lb (walton verona) He just had a big overtime pin over Adam Bender at conference.

Spencer Carpenter 92lb. (twenhofel) He is another kid I have seen improve tremendously since last year

That would be my list of sleepers that i think could place at state. You never know. I think it is easier to be a sleeper than the one everyone is looking to knock off. Im sure there will be quite a few kids making their names known before the state tournament. Thats the beauty of wrestling. The harder you work the better you get. Who's willing to work to be the best? I'm glad to see so many kids getting better.

Dutch and Zaniac - I agree with you. Spencer will make some noise and possibly place. Going to be a tough rode for anyone to place this year. Hahn is tough and is Mulcahy wrestles like he did against Bender he'll do just fine. I love to see these boys working hard and coming into their own.

The rest of you are hiding your sleepers so you don't put a target on their back.

The rest of you are hiding your sleepers so you don't put a target on their back.

Where is your list as you are fishing from information? That is very good police communication skills to draw out information without providing any of your own. A little psychology 101.

Here is one sleeper. Ryan Guenther from River City. Has beaten same 4th ranked contender three times this season. Giving good work to two of the highly ranked, heavier weighted RC contenders at practice. Lost to a favorite at another weight 4-2 at Super Duals.

• Upvote 1

Another sleeper to watch out for is Blue Fletcher. He qualified for state last year and I look for him to push to place this year. Very young but very talented. He beat a kid today 5-2 that pinned the Frietsch kid from Twenhofel in the first period about 30 seconds in. Hes improving daily and I look for him to step up tothe challenge when it coes to state this year.

Where is your list as you are fishing from information? That is very good police communication skills to draw out information without providing any of your own. A little psychology 101.

I like that. You can read between the lines. I'd put mine out there, but I'm bad with names....and no, I'm not fishing for info. Actually, I could care less, but I am more trying to spike interest in this thread and get people engaged. Thanks for helping me do that J.W.

One sleeper at 70 is Brendon Pye from Woodland. He wrestled Whorton (lost 4-2), Delong (2-1) really tough, and lost to Frietsch 11-6. Still really green (only been wrestling for a few weeks), but he's going to shock at least one of the top kids before it's all said and done. He doesn't belong on the list until he does, but he's going to be tough to beat over the next few weeks.

We are talking about sleepers. I think we have listed some good ones. I can't wait to see some of those kids wrestle. I am curious what weight class everyone thinks will be the toughest at state this year. My opinion is that 113 is full of tough kids. I was looking over the list and that was the weight class that seemed to be loaded with talent. Not to mention Dallas miles and Trenton Johnson are both in. Those are two of my favorite wrestlers. After getting to know there dads I can see why they carry themselves the way they do. Class acts!!!!!!

Here are 2 sleepers from one team..........May not be favorites, but could make the podium:

72 C Deckard

77 T Ballinger

Both kids wrestle for East Oldham. Both have looked impressive in matches I've seen them in.

There were several weight classes in Dist 6 that were stacked with potential State Champions. As always, Campbell County put together a great tournament.  It was a very exciting day full of spectacular wrestlers doing what they do best.  Campbell County took 1st place followed by Twenhofel at 2nd and Turkeyfoot at 3rd.  Looking forward to this weekend at Ryle!

Can't wait for updated Rankings from Ranger.

He does a great job with his predictions. However JMO, I would like to see the middle school rankings be more like the high school rankings with ranking the kids in numerical order.

Again JMO but that 70 pound weight class is stacked with so much talent. I think it will be one of the toughest weights at State. Just found out that Holub from Turkeyfoot drop down to this weight... WOW! I still can't figure this one out. With little DeLong being there makes no since to me to put two hammer kids in the same weight class and especially from the same team.

Did DeLong go up to 75? This kid is a hammer.

Turkey Foot has a solid team this year and will this hurt their team with these guys at the same weight?

Oh well, it will be exciting to watch these little dudes hammer it out at regionals and state!

DeLong wrestled at 70 on Saturday.  Holub took 1st place.  Trevor Frietsch from Twenhofel took 2nd.  I'm not sure who took 3rd and 4th in that weight class.  Could be any of these boys since they all are such good wrestlers.  I know that Brandon Pye from Woodland and Thomas King from Summit View had to wrestle each other to see who would be wrestling for 3rd.  Also Tom Ketchen-Carter from Campbell County and Joey DeLong from Turkeyfoot had to wrestle each other to see who would be the other person wrestling for 3rd.

Man that is crazy!

All those kids are very good!

I feel bad for DeLong! This kid deserves a shot at State! I wish him well!

Congrats to all the 70 placers!

I was very disappointed to hear about Delong. It makes no sense to my why they both wrestled 70. I would have had the kids do a wrestle off and the loser would go up. I know they have a good staff at turkeyfoot so I am sure they had their reasons. I look forward to seeing Delong at the high school level. Good luck to all the 70lb wrestlers.

They had Luke Cocagne wrestling 75 lbs. He's also a great kid...all the Turkeyfoot boys are great kids who deserve the chance to make it to State. There really would be no way for their coaches to make a decision that people outside of their organization would think was the fair or correct one. It's the same with all our teams...we all make certain decisions regarding our own team that others might not see or understand the reason, therefore they think it's not right. Heck, knowing how great those coaches are at Turkeyfoot and how fair I know them to be, I would say that they most likely did wrestle the boys off. They probably then let the wrestler who lost make the decision on whether he wanted to also wrestle 70 or wrestle up in the 75 lb group.

Ketchen-Carter finished 3rd, and Pye finished 4th. Pye did beat Carter in the quarters in a close match. Just about every kid in that class deserves a shot at regionals. The whole district 6 tournament was extremely competitive. I think Holmes surprised a lot of folks. Almost every class from 70-140 was pretty deep, although the bigs were pretty shallow. The seeding was very good, as most of the brackets came out the way they were seeded. A lot of the alternates could compete at regionals....113 comes to mind. Hamilton from Twenhofel has been very good all year and he finished 6th. Seeney from Woodland (who finished 5th)dropped from 121 and upset Williamson in the quarters (who finished 3rd) and stuck Hamilton pretty quick in the first period in the 5th place match which was also a pretty big upset. As was mentioned, Delong can hang with anyone in the state and it's too bad he got left out.

Campbell County is crazy deep, and Twenhofel, Turkeyfoot and Holmes can hang with anybody in the state. Woodland showed up with quite a few kids, most of which are young and got a few kids into regionals and a few 5 and 6th place finishers and will be pretty competitive next year, and Summit is decent too. You can be sure that there will be more than a few state placers coming out of this district