Sign in to follow this  
Mathound

56 state champions from schools that no longer have a wrestling program

So whats the story on these schools? Did they consolidate? Did they drop the program?

There are 56 state champions from these schools which are no longer listed in the regional alignment by the KHSAA.

1  Ahrens

2 Belfry

3 Boone County

4 Boyle Co

5 Flaget

6 Millersburg Military Institute

7 Owensboro

8 St. Joseph

9 Waggener

10 West Hardin

11 Westport

For more in depth info and individual champions see this page:

http://www.kentuckywrestling.com/viewregion.php?region=0

Boone Co:  Dropped their program, Norhtern Ky has been trying to get them to pick it back up.

MMI:  Has tried to get a team together and had one around 2000, but can't keep kids illigable or get them to come out.

West Hardin combined with East Hardin to make Central Hardin. (1990 I think)

Waggener:  Once again people tried to save this program to no avail.

Boyle Co.:  I remember them having a team but don't know why they dropped.

Interestingly, the only team state championship Boone Co. ever earned was wrestling.

This topic about Boone Co. came up once before.  I won't start the alligations again about the team folding.

But.

Bob Warnick (Sp) Was a great coach for Boone Co. in the late 70's and early 80's.  He held the team at Boone until he went into administration and could no longer coach the team.  They went through several coaches over the next few years and finally dropped the team around 95.  The Blackmore family kept the team there that long until their oldest graduated after winning a title. He won it in 1994 and the team survived one more year.  

The Blackmores then moved to Ryle and helped that team get started with Jordon Blackmore.

Both Newport Catholic and Newport Public dropped their teams in 1980.  Not sure why N.C. dropped thiers but Newport used the excuse that their mats burned up.  (They were burned by a MMD students) They claimed they could not affort to replace them.

Lloyd also had a team until 1984.  Thier claim was not enough interest in the sport at thier school.

So whats the story on these schools? Did they consolidate? Did they drop the program?

1  Ahrens

2 Belfry

3 Boone County

4 Boyle Co

5 Flaget

7 Owensboro

8 St. Joseph

9 Waggener

10 West Hardin

11 Westport

bump.  Flaget closed it's doors years ago.  My dad is an alumn.

I know first hand why Boone County dropped their wrestling program as I was the assistant coach there for 3 years. The Athletic director and also football coach, Owen Hauck, was vehemently against wrestling. He literally despised anything which competed with football. Despite the abundance of money within the athletic department he kept the wrestling team from receiving any financial assistance. He REFUSED to allow any football player to wrestle. Owen Hauck, in my opinion, is a bad man. Teachers and coaches constantly reminded him the only state championship Boone Co. HS ever earned was from wrestling. Fortunately he retired nearly 10 years ago - void of a championship. Even in 2006, the wrestling team, which no longer exists, is the only BCHS state championship team!!!

I know first hand why Boone County dropped their wrestling program as I was the assistant coach there for 3 years. The Athletic director and also football coach, Owen Hauck, was vehemently against wrestling. He literally despised anything which competed with football. Despite the abundance of money within the athletic department he kept the wrestling team from receiving any financial assistance. He REFUSED to allow any football player to wrestle. Owen Hauck, in my opinion, is a bad man. Teachers and coaches constantly reminded him the only state championship Boone Co. HS ever earned was from wrestling. Fortunately he retired nearly 10 years ago - void of a championship. Even in 2006, the wrestling team, which no longer exists, is the only BCHS state championship team!!!

It's time for a comeback, wouldn't you say???

Guest wrestler92

Waggener always had a tough team in the 80's and 90's, that was a killer district back then with Fern Creek, Waggener, J-town, Eastern, Central and KCD (when Tcharaisika was wrestling for them just because of him) and then they combined to form the toughest region in the state with Northern Kentucky's district.

There are 56 state champions from these schools which are no longer listed in the regional alignment by the KHSAA.

1  Ahrens

2 Belfry

3 Boone County

4 Boyle Co

5 Flaget

7 Owensboro

8 St. Joseph

9 Waggener

10 West Hardin

11 Westport

For more in depth info and individual champions see this page:

http://www.kentuckywrestling.com/viewregion.php?region=0

ahrens is closed

belfry i guess dropped it

Boone dropped

Flaget closed

millersburg dropped

St. Joes i think is closed

Waggner still offers wrestling cause they are on the schedule every year

west hardin i think consodated

Westport is now a middle school. Dunno why they changed but they did.

Waggener always had a tough team in the 80's and 90's, that was a killer district back then with Fern Creek, Waggener, J-town, Eastern, Central and KCD (when Tcharaisika was wrestling for them just because of him) and then they combined to form the toughest region in the state with Northern Kentucky's district.

Tendai charaisika wrestled for St.X he was a three timer and a great running back stx. He is now a football coach over there.

Guest wrestler92

Tendai charaisika wrestled for St.X he was a three timer and a great running back stx. He is now a football coach over there.

Yes I know he went to high school at St. X, but he went to grade school at KCD and wrestled there from at least 5th grade on.  He was huge back then and real good and gave many high schoolers a good run for their money before many 7th and 8th graders were in competition then.

is there a list of these state champions and did any of these teams win state if so why would u drop a program that is doing well and making state champions

This is pretty much exactly what our athletic director does he's the head football coach and he hates anything having to do with wrestling he doesn't even give us bus transportation to meets he gives little or no money to the program!

This is pretty much exactly what our athletic director does he's the head football coach and he hates anything having to do with wrestling he doesn't even give us bus transportation to meets he gives little or no money to the program!

thats what i dont like about schools especially ours because in our school the wrestling team is probably the best sports team and the school never gives us any recognition and it makes me mad

thats what i dont like about schools especially ours because in our school the wrestling team is probably the best sports team and the school never gives us any recognition and it makes me mad

Cmlswrstling;  If you are referring to Camp. Co. you have got to be joking.

I have been involved with CC Wrestling in one way or another since 1982. (A year before coach B took the team.) Either as a wrestler, coach, opposing coach and now have a son in the middle school program.  There is no other school around that gives wrestling as much recognition as Campbell Co does.

You have parents, teachers, students attend meets, you have banners in the gym, you have your own wrestling room.  you have a full coaching staff with middle school and youth coaches. 

What else do you want.??? 

Ive been reading and from what i hear i think ADs shouldn't be a coach of any sport because it causes a bias but what is it with football and wrestling coaches snot getting along real well plenty of wrestlers play football i think that having football players play other sports is great for them because they are in better shape and it really helps lineman i know it helped me a bunch at TE and most the people i went against had at least 40 lbs on me

Boone County has a wrestling team this year you should come back and help