CoachC

Kentucky National Team

That sounds Awesome keep everyone informed and hopefully there are a few more fr gr tournys and everyone can get on the same page for raising extra funds and kids can get donations ,a camp before Fargo is a must it would be great to have a weekend camp or a weekend where they can get together and have a few practices a day then have a for real week long camp before they go it would be awesome to send a kid at every weight if not more lets make it happen particularly the older HS kids there is a core group in KY who will be idolised by the younger kids coming up lets help them set the bar higher and show the younger guys that KY kids are as good as any ,there will be some All Americans next yr and i think someone will double maybe a few take advantage of it and lets do all we can for them maybe there will be a national champ from KY as well .

Communication is a two way street. If you don't ask, how will you know? I am always available to answer questions.

You are correct it goes both ways as for us /myself i did not nor still do not know who is who ,all you can do now is plan for next yr so good luck .

Do you want more kids to go or not .. You kind of contradict yourself regardless of price let EVERYONE know let whoever want to or earns a spot get their shot and the same opportunities.

Glad all the kids who went got taken well care of by ky USA wrestling that's awesome and congrats to them and their coaches . Hopefully it gets even better next yr

Of course i want more kids to go. I wanted your sons to go also. I tried.

I believe you did and thanks we just got a lot of conflicting information and our situation left nothing to chance no room after a shaky year to deal with what ifs and very little training to begin with ,im not trying to be difficult i just want whats best for my kids and everyone elses thirdrounds boy could do very well there and even if he did not sending the states best to that level win or lose can only make wrestling in KY better i do not believe in waiting for this or that and focusing on one thing i think let as many go as possible or as many want to go i always thought it was funny when my boys were really beginners how all the kids and parents who went to really big tournys kind of made everyone else feel they could not go or hang the truth is you do not know till you go and you have to go to know how much you need to improve and if you love the sport and work you will improve and hang i have not seen very many kids who could not AA yes i said could not ,if they worked very hard and learned what it takes and did it .maybe not double or win but to AA is possible for ANYONE there are not 8 kids in each class in both styles that are not beatable because of talent or skill maybe four or five maybe eight in freestyle or Greco never in both classes i would bet is it impossible for a great worker to AA with a few yrs of work ,it should give all kids hope ,as i said KY will have some All Americans next yr bet on it .

The information may not get out to every kid and parent in the state, but at a minimum Keith puts the basics out there. If you have an interest ask some questions. I know the last few years KY USA has offered aid to essentially every kid that has gone to Fargo. And I thought that was pretty well known, at least among those participating in FS/GR. And plenty of coaches have known.

I would like to extend the Middle School Team KY competitions to include the Schoolboy National Duals and possibly more. Hopefully KY USA can support that, because I believe the key to boosting our Fargo participation and success is getting them started at a younger age.

That is surely a key ,Ky USA wrestling should keep Fr and GR out there all yr somehow perhaps have at least one open mat session somewhere in the state a week and then ramp it up right after state ,One Cadet and Five Jrs, Six kids in all ,all great kids but you could have at least doubled that with some effort not having Brock "and i dont know his reasons for not going "Austin and some of the other state champs there who may have gone if nudged a bit is a shame ,I think Brock would have came back an AA this year in Freestyle Austin maybe not hes a young jr and big but he will AA before hes done ,I really think KY has a great year next year at Fargo with multiple AA performances ,Coaches get ready do your homework kids do the same it only gets better .

Communication is a two way street. If you don't ask, how will you know? I am always available to answer questions.

All I saw in the email was the list of costs........I am not the kind to ask for a handout......I wasn't brought up that way. Sorry if I opened up a can of worms.....I just want the best for every wrestler in this state.....especially my son....he works so hard to get to the top.....I am just frustrated I can't provide the resources for him to make the National tournaments......It is very discouraging.

Congrats to all the kids who participated in Fargo.....all are great wrestlers and young men as well.

Wrestling is a very expensive sport on the elite levels wouldnt feel bad spending your time and money getting your kid to that level is hard enough .there are ways to raise money im sure ky usa wrestling has a tax deductble donation thing they could have the kids do to raise funds for fargo .

We are looking at next years schedule now. We are going to try to do a schoolboy and below tournament also. I plan to pick the team from the state tournament results. if all goes well maybe we could attend national duals. There is also a national tournament for schoolboy own for those who qualify.

Also looking at a tri state or regional open tournament. Checking in to new awards to get the kids excited.

The national tournament at your age level MUST be qualified for. You will have to attend the state tournament. You can also qualify as a regional qualifier.

The more participation we have in these tournaments the better it is for the state.

CoachC - you need to make sure you are in touch with the right folks on the schoolboy team. Trust me, those guys will be even more difficult to round up if you don't get to the MS coaches early, like in season. And remember the MS season ends at the beginning of February. My plan was to just make this a part of Team KY and include the same kids (we invited the top 4 at each weight this year).

Congrats to all the kids for a great job at Fargo!

Sounds like there is a push to get more KY kids involved would be great exposure for the kids and the state.

More kids means more coaches needed at Fargo, 24 mats and the matches come fast. Coaches need to be accredited to get on the floor, USAW has a great training program for coaches, well worth it.

Start planning now and it will make it alot easier next year.

CoachC - you need to make sure you are in touch with the right folks on the schoolboy team. Trust me, those guys will be even more difficult to round up if you don't get to the MS coaches early, like in season. And remember the MS season ends at the beginning of February. My plan was to just make this a part of Team KY and include the same kids (we invited the top 4 at each weight this year).

I am hoping that someone like yourself will be one of the right folks. Top 4 sounds good, just want to have a freestyle/greco state for competition and to familiarize the kids that do not get to see it. Plus it may attract the kid that is a monster in greco or freestyle that may not be the best at folkstyle. Not to mention revenue.

After my Sophomore year in 96' I went to Cadet/Junior Nationals with team KY. We had a week long camp the week before with about 20-25 of us. Coach ran some great practices and had us all pretty comfortable wrestling freestyle by the end of the week. The room was loaded with all the best wrestlers in Kentucky. I believe there was about 10 guys in the room that had won at least one state title, some had 2, 3 and 4 titles. I will never forget going to the camp or the experience of going to nationals...there is no other tournament like it. One of the best wrestling experiences I ever had. Obviously the resources to put something like that on is great, but wrestling in the state has improved so much I imagine the results would be pretty impressive, especially if you could get the wrestlers together for a week to prepare. For all the serious wrestlers out there, I highly recommend making the trip to Fargo.

• Upvote 1

After my Sophomore year in 96' I went to Cadet/Junior Nationals with team KY. We had a week long camp the week before with about 20-25 of us. Coach ran some great practices and had us all pretty comfortable wrestling freestyle by the end of the week. The room was loaded with all the best wrestlers in Kentucky. I believe there was about 10 guys in the room that had won at least one state title, some had 2, 3 and 4 titles. I will never forget going to the camp or the experience of going to nationals...there is no other tournament like it. One of the best wrestling experiences I ever had. Obviously the resources to put something like that on is great, but wrestling in the state has improved so much I imagine the results would be pretty impressive, especially if you could get the wrestlers together for a week to prepare. For all the serious wrestlers out there, I highly recommend making the trip to Fargo.

I mentioned doing the Fargo Nationals in 96'. Here is a pic one of my teammates sent me today from the team...a ton of state titles in that group. Love to see this happen again.

100MEDIA95IMAG0358.jpg

Ok nice pic , we have some good kids in ky who will probably shoot for Fargo But please whoever puts it together please please design some cooler singlets than these .just kidding , sounds lime you guys had the right idea

Ok nice pic , we have some good kids in ky who will probably shoot for Fargo But please whoever puts it together please please design some cooler singlets than these .just kidding , sounds lime you guys had the right idea

Are you kidding, I was trying to figure out where you could get some singlets like that made today! I think this years Team Kentucky should get them for a first round throwback singlet!

That would be cool , it looks like they were wearing ref camouflage the vertical lines make th look thinner than they perhaps Horizontal to make them all look thicker ,multiple singlets would be cool

Its all a guess from me but I think I recognize Coach Carr and not sure but I think thats Joe Jr. in the back. I'm guessing thats Tendai in the second row with the big hair and beyond that I would have to say some of the names below.

Heres the State Champs from 1996:

103 - Chris Valentine (Woodford Co.); 112 - Shaun Smith (Christian Co.); 119 - Jason Talbott (Oldham Co.); 125 - Jeremy Rhodes (Conner) 130 - Scott Rhodes (Sheldon Clark), 135 Kevin Case (Harrison Co), 140 Joe Carr (Woodford Co) 145 Ian Horn (Woodford Co) 152 Tony Stewart (Scott) 160 David Moore (Henry Clay) 171 Tendai Charasika (St Xavier) 189 - Miguel Merritt (Hopkinsville); 215 - Livingston Merritt (Hopkinsville); 275 - Ryan Putthoff (Conner).

Guy with the fro is Dean Williams I see joe Carr jr. Ian Horn. David Moore. Chris Dunn. And I think That's Jeremy Rhodes first on the left bottom. I don't see one Wky kid in there. Guess we was all out partying.

The only one's I don't remember are the 2 guys without the singlets. From top right...Joe Jr., Josh Burton, Dave Moore, Scott Anderson. Second Row: Rick McCarthy, St. X 189lbs (forgot name), Ian Horn, Chris Dunn, Jason Talbot, Sean McCarthy, Dean Williams. Bottom Row: Joe Sr., Justin Schoenfelder, Tom Watson, Mark Sprowl, Michael Kidd, Dan Carmen and Coach Anderson, Though you mentioned Tendai...it would have been nice to have on the team, I imagine since it was summer after his senior year he was probably already playing football for the Cards. Rhodes would have been great to have on the team as well.

Thats awesome!! Thanks for sharing great look back at 1996 wrestling in KY.

I have to compliment Coaches Carr and Anderson.

Great turnout as far as number of wrestlers, thats the most I've ever seen for KY at Fargo.

Any idea of results?