Ranger123

The Middle School List - Pre-Season 2012-2013

I finally got enough heat that I had to get an initial shot at this posted. I have been struggling with the big guys so much, mostly because I have little to no idea who will be returning next year. So here is what I'm doing. I will post a good start on the lightweights and hope you guys give me some ideas on who is returning at the uppper half. Then in a couple weeks I will add the big guys.

70 Favorite: ?

Contenders: Horton (Ryle), Goldsmith (North Oldham), Mattingly (Apollo), Grandstaff (Conner)

75 Favorite: Holub (Turkeyfoot)

Contenders: Whorton (John Hardin), Pledger (River City), Sawyer (Fern Creek), Tucker (Woodford Co), Higdon (Fairdale), Bixler (Elkhorn)

80 Favorite: Yenter (Campbell Co)

Contenders: Fitzhugh (River City), Bender (Bluegrass), Hahn (Campbell Co), Slone (Johnson Co), Wheeler (East Oldham), Moskwa (North Oldham)

86 Favorite: Wells (Campbell Co)

Contenders: Ervin (Union Co), Kraeszig (River City), Roth (Walton), Brown (Shamrock), Garcia (Fern Creek), Turner (Trigg), McClintic (East Oldham)

92 Favorite: Moore (Campbell Co)

Contenders: Chaffee (Ryle), Livers (North Hardin), Dodd (Wayne Co), Mattox (Harrison Co), Cambron (Fern Creek), Nixon (Turkeyfoot), McGrath (Campbell Co)

98 Favorite: Sheffer (Union Co)

Contenders: Smith (Walton), Cook (River City), Gray (Caldwell Co), Hodge (Campbell Co), Floyd (Oldham Co), Leak (North Hardin), Ervin (Union Co)

105 Favorite: Oxford (Union Co)

Contenders: Miles (River City), Johnson (North Hardin), Holden (Campbell Co), Middleton (Moore), Simpson (Bourbon Co)

113 Favorite: Geordan Blanton (Johnson Co)

Contenders: ?

121 Favorite: ?

130 Favorite: ?

Contenders: Griffith (Johnson Co)

140 Favorite: Buckman (Union Co)

Contenders: Skinner (Campbell Co)

152 Favorite: Cornett (Turkeyfoot)

Contenders: Nickols (North Hardin)

168 Favorite: Hille (Holmes)

Contenders: Ruber (Walton)

190 Favorite: ?

230 Favorite: Coltyn Kearins

School Teams: Campbell Co, Caldwell Co, North Oldham

Club Teams: Union Co, River City, Walton, North Hardin

Wow, no love for the Shamrock Club! We've got a few guys (actually more than a few) working hard this off season. Zane Brown should be on everyone's list as a returning placer. Too many others to name, but the work's being done.

• Upvote 1

Some placers from last year that are returning and some other thoughts:

Geordon Blanton - Johnson County (105 last year - probably 113 this year)

Not sure if Cooper (Summit View) or Eldridge (Woodford) are returning. Placed at 121 last year. No grade listed in Track.

Avery Buckman (Union) placed at 130 last year. 130 or 140 this year.

Not sure if Andrioni (Woodford) is returning. No grade in track. Placed at 130 last year.

Casey Cornett (Turkeyfoot). Will be 8th grade. Placed at 152 last year.

Isacc Nichols (North Hardin) will be a strong contender at 140 this year and Phillips (North Hardin) 152 will be strong.

Branch from Fern Creek at 130.

Hammons (Caldwell County) was an 8th grader last year from your list above.

Horton (Ryle) only came to 70 after the 2lb allowance - pretty big kid - don't see him at 70 again.

70 pound weight class has plenty of young state qualifiers coming back that are not listed: Blake Whorton (John Hardin), Gavin Brown (UHA), Mattingly (Eagles), Blair (Larue)

Somewhere between 75 and 86: Brock Whorton (John Hardin) is a possible

Will have some other heavier weight possibles shortly.

OK. Coach Whorton gave me a good list to assist in my work. I will make an update soon. If someone will bring me an Oreo blizzard I will do it tonight. :D

• Upvote 1

Ranger, one kid you might have forgot about is Taran Floyd. He'll probably be at 98 lbs this year. Think he's weighing around 95 lbs. He wrestled up all last year. Also, rumor has it, he's going to River City. Which would be interesting since you have Cook listed at that weight. If Taran's at 98, he's the favorite. Just my opinion.

Ok. No one showed up with my blizzard, but Spencer and I made a run out to Cold Stone anyway. Made a few updates, but the upper weights are still quite a mystery. Gonna be some kids come from nowhere to make the podium in a few of those weight classes.

Thank you Ranger.

Pretty good list so far. The lighter weights are definately the strength of Kentucky Wrestling this season.

Heavier weights are wide open in my opinion. It will be interesting to see what weight classes many of these wrestlers will fall into. I know during Team Kentucky and some of the spring workouts, there were many who looked much bigger than what is listed.

If Horton is at 70 he would likely be the favorite there. I know that Ryle/Grey had 3 70lb's at Districts and 2 of which wrestled at higher weights during the regular season. I know that Horton was at 70 or less for all of the off-season tourneys we saw him at. He is very solid for his age. An arguement coul be made for Grandstaff as well since he beat Horton at Regionals this year. But other than the one match at Regionals, Horton has won most of the time he has faced Grandstaff.

I have been watching this kid named Joey DeLong from Turkeyfoot I think this offseason and he really has suprised some fellows. He took 5th place Tournament of Champions! 2nd place at Spatola Classic! He also went to a Spatola camp and pinned Grandstaff which was pretty impressive and for your next post put Joey DeLong at 70 lbs. for a Contender at least, some think he is the no dought favorite. So before this kid comes big next year, get his name in your head. Nice technical fellow to watch out for. Definitley a contender. Thanks!

Ranger, we have seen a lot of wrestling this off season. It might be about time to get spencer that blizzard and sit down to do some updates. You look a little thin in the mid and upper weights.

No ,no one is going to be able to compete with Mason this year he has had a busy off season trains his but off and is surrounded with excellent coaches and role models .Hes about to have a breakout year i suggest he focus on Tulsa Kickoff .

Mason Smith

No ,no one is going to be able to compete with Mason this year he has had a busy off season trains his but off and is surrounded with excellent coaches and role models .Hes about to have a breakout year i suggest he focus on Tulsa Kickoff .

You know who I'm talking about. I agree with you. Not sure if many kids in KY are putting in the time and effort Mason is.

I just read some of the positive thoughts about mason. He will be going 98 this year. I am glad that a few of you have such confidence in his ability. He has had a very busy off season. I can say that I have seen a lot of other kids putting a lot of time in this year as well. I could name quite a few we have had the pleasure of wrestling with this year. I would say I have high hopes for multiple kids tanner yenter, ryan moore, brady wells, blake roth, spencer carpenter, zane brown, nate wheeler, dallas miles, zach holub, trent johnson and the list go's on and on. I have seen all these kids and many more putting in time this entire off season. As far as mason I hope he has a great 7th grade year just like the rest of these guys. It amazes me how many kids in ky that are lifting and wrestling to get better. I can say as a dad I wish I had half their energy. It has been a very long summer. A lot of weights, hotel rooms,gas, and wrestling mats. I look forward to seeing mason and all these other kids compete this season. I believe it will pay off during the season. The kids and coaches we have worked with this year has been great. I can't say enough about all of them. Thanks for everything and looking forward to the season

Mason is a great kid he listens and trains hard and is very deceptive as far as how people perceive him which makes him very fun to watch awesome endurance and very surprising strength he even has a wrestlers build he has a Cael Frame and after watching him it is obvious he can come up with a style and add some movement and a few moves that will make him a very successful wrestler on whatever level he chooses he has some advantages that are god given that cannot be copied and has others that are just by products of good upbringing and a great desire to achieve ,keep him happy and he will keep us happy watching him win for many years to come .