Region 5 Predictions

1 Oldham Co.

2. North Oldham

3. Eastern

4. J-town

5. South Oldham

6. Fern Creek

Need some more teams in this region.

Oldham is strong from top to bottom and has some studs mixed in there that can wrestle with most of the state.

North still has some open spots in the line-up but the Rusch brothers are tuff and keep improving. Solid at the top and bottom of the roster.

Eastern lost a lot of talent from last year. Good sophomore and junior class. 5 or 6 solid wrestlers but will struggle in the lighter weights as a whole.

J-town will have decent talent throughout the line-up, but no studs to carry the team as far as I can see.

South will have a couple studs but not enough firepower from top to bottom to make too much noise.

Fern Creek could be a suprise but i have them ranked 6th in the region. They had a decent team last year and I'm not sure what they are returniong.

What's up with Ballard, I keep hearing there going to be wrestling again but no offical word.

I'd like to see T come over since there in St. Matthews, Shift a few from 3 to 4 and give us Frankfort or Bullitt schools

Or Just split Preston Hwy there's 4/5 and Bulitt, Meade and Bring a few from 2 to 3. My suggestions

Regardless Some thing needs to be done, go back to districts anything!

Jefferson County really needs to go down to 2 regions. Make regioins 3 & 4 for Jeff Co schools only. Take Meade County out of Region 3 and drop them to Region 2. Take the 3 Bullitt Co schools and move them to Region 5 with the Oldham County schools. Pull Western Hills and Franklin County from Region 7 and drop them into the new Region 5. Maybe a minor move here or there (Scott County from Region 6 to Region 7 or Region 5, etc), but I really don't see where it's that difficult. It would give you Regions 3 & 4 somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 teams each and give Region 5 a total of 8 teams. Still not completely even numbers-wise but whole lot better than it is now with 13 teams in Region 3, 8 teams in Region 4 & 6 teams in Region 5 respectively. I know geography plays a part but considering how far some of the Region 1 & Region 8 teams have to travel within their own region, asking some schools to travel and hour or just over that is not asking a whole lot. Then again, I don't think the KHSAA really cares enough to do anything about it considering they haven't updated their regional alignments on their website in over 2 years to reflect new programs added. They still don't have schools like Trigg County, Barren County, Bullitt East, North Bullitt, Scott County, Grant County, Belfry, etc even on the regional alignment page and all of them are going into at least their 2 year as a program!!!

Now back on track, Oldham County is without a doubt the favorites to run away with Region 5 and I agree 2nd place is up for grabs. Fern Creek will be much improved and I think will be "relevant" in Kentucky wrestling again soon. They went through a period where the kids from their Optimist Club where coming through that program then going off to other high school and not Fern Creek. They're starting to keep some of that home grown talent again so expect the high school program to be back on track in years to come.

i think fern creek will have some decent talent this year.........but not enough to lead them anywhere but i do see them moving up in the ranks in the next few years once the coaches over there have time to build it up and make a stable program

i think fern creek will have some decent talent this year.........but not enough to lead them anywhere but i do see them moving up in the ranks in the next few years once the coaches over there have time to build it up and make a stable program

I believe Eastern will be Oldham toughest challenge in this reigon. They can compeat with them from weight classes 138-220. Those matches are toss up. To me Oldham has a star in Kalein and wilkerson but to me those are there only guranteed wins. Everything eles is a toss up. Eastern never has a light weight or a good heavy weight. We will just have to see when the season starts. Don't think for a second that Oldham is just going to run away with it.

He got as High as 17 in the rankings at 145 his Freshman year, but hasnt been cleared wrestle since then.He had heart surgery going in to sophmore year. He played football for a year but is focus on wrestling now. He is wrestling this year though.

• Upvote 1

I talked to Coach Speer @ Spencer County and knew they were headed to Region 5, but I thought Male was suppose to go to Region 4. I guess this was a late change then?

if there was already another team going to R5 why is male?

Who cares, this is exactly what this region needed that is awesome news! Now if we can get Ballard and Waggner up and running again we will be in good shape! The only bad news is that this could delay the realignment process a bit.