Sign in to follow this  
myGSP

vote for MOW

Excellent post about Durbin Flyboy. His coaches are gutless to allow that to happen.

I'm the "gutless" coach you are referring to.  I don't know who you all are or what involvement you have in this sport but these comments are ignorant.  Durbin split with Darrow this year, beat Vanover, and Hardy.  Durbin was ranked 3rd and beat 1,2, and 4 among 20 other 215 througout the year.  Durbin got up after the first illegal slam in the semis and was not able to continiue after the second illegal slam.  Could anything keep you out of the state finals your senior year if you were hurt or not?  Nothing short of a compound fracture would keep me from wrestling that match.  Concerning the comment about how well Durbin was moving...if you had watched him or known him at all you would know that is exactly what made him a good 215 over 189.  You can comment all you want about Durbin or myself because when it comes down to it he's a state champ and it's in the books now forever.  He wrestled the best and beat the best 215's of 2011.  Obviously, there wasn't another person out there that could have beat Hardy.  Upsets happen and underdogs win sometimes.  Don't bash a kid for stepping up and winning against odds....or do but know what your talking about before you do it.

Excellent post about Durbin Flyboy. His coaches are gutless to allow that to happen.

Imma have to back Eastern's coach on this one. Their is not a coach in the state that wouldn't have taken that route. The kid from PCC was beating him but did not have to slam him illegally either twice give him some credit. He got back up and wrestled but then the kid did it again. Hurt or not I've seen weaker illegal slams and the coach telling the kid to stay down. So saying that Durbin took the easy way out is your lack of knowledge on the sport. So you find me a coach that doesn't tell their kid to stay down expecially in the semi's and I'll show you a coach that has never had a state placer. 

Hurt or not I've seen weaker illegal slams and the coach telling the kid to stay down. So saying that Durbin took the easy way out is your lack of knowledge on the sport. So you find me a coach that doesn't tell their kid to stay down expecially in the semi's and I'll show you a coach that has never had a state placer.

One of my wrestlers was illegally slammed in the quarters.  Had he "not been able to continue" he would have advanced to the semis and been guaranteed at least 6th place.  He was not injured and hopped right up, and ended up losing his next two matches, knocking him out of the tournament the round where if you win, you place.  But had he really been injured he would have probably injury defaulted out the rest of his matches.  Had he not been injured, and just faked it to advance, you can guarantee he would have heard more than an earful about sportsmanship in the back of the arena.

Coaches that tell their kids to say down have no class.  Coaches that don't let their kids fake an injury might not have any state places, but are teaching their boys what it means to be men.  Real men don't cheat their way into a victory.  I'd rather have a team of kids that work hard and compete ethically and go two and out at the tournament than a team of state placers that get there on a technicality.

Not taking anything away from Durbin.  The kid wrestled a hell of a finals match against the monster Hardy, just from a complete outsiders perspective with no dog in the fight, his mean of getting there can look a little shady.  Everyone can get online and trash the kid and his coach, be we don't know the details, and can do nothing about it anymore.

Coaches that tell their kids to say down have no class.  Coaches that don't let their kids fake an injury might not have any state places, but are teaching their boys what it means to be men.  Real men don't cheat their way into a victory.  I'd rather have a team of kids that work hard and compete ethically and go two and out at the tournament than a team of state placers that get there on a technicality.

Ok I won't throw anyone under the bus but I've coached against some big name coaches that tell there kids to lay down after my kid illegally slammed the other. But cheating to get there come on it wouldn't be cheating if the kid would have known a proper mat return but I think he was just angry and let his head get to him. I don't tell my kids to cheat at anything, this is a sport of wrestling any advantage or stupidity that an opponent gives you, you take it.  Understanding the rules of the sport of wrestling, and not coaching your kids in all aspects of wrestling is taking away from them. I can't tell you how many times I see stud athletes wrestle a hole season and not know a lick of wrestling. You go through life trying to be the best you can be whatever route gets you there you take it. Not "well I tried" same in wrestling

Imma have to back Eastern's coach on this one. Their is not a coach in the state that wouldn't have taken that route. 

Are you kidding me?  I'm not sure I know a coach in the state that would take that route.  And I've been at this for over 25 years, and involved with coaching 3 different teams.

We don't know the full extent of Durbin's injury.  But if he was hampered in any way by the slam then it is not poor sportsmanship to take the default.

He should not have to wrestle at less than 100% because his opponent caused an injury illegally. 

Call me naive (Don't you do it Danger  :-D) but I can't imagine a coach or adult telling a kid to take a fall for the win.  I'm pretty certain that no Nky coach would take that route.

I'm not saying this is what eastern's coach did, but winning from an illegal slam is a part of the sport like it or not, so to call him gutless is idiotic no one knows what they would have done in that situation but you can sound tough on here and say "I'd made him wrestle with a broken shoulder". Say what you want and maybe I'm not as prideful as most but like I said I've seen different hurt or not hurt.

I agree with GOO, but let me ask for a point of clairification. Was the match awarded on a injury/can't continue basis, or was the kid from PCC disqualified for a second illegal move? Shouldn't he have been? We were sitting near the PCC folks and I thought I heard them say it was a DQ. If it was, it wouldn't matter if Durbin was hurt.

I agree with GOO, but let me ask for a point of clairification. Was the match awarded on a injury/can't continue basis, or was the kid from PCC disqualified for a second illegal move? Shouldn't he have been? We were sitting near the PCC folks and I thought I heard them say it was a DQ. If it was, it wouldn't matter if Durbin was hurt.

Cody Hollon was DQ per the 215 brackets

Kyle Durbin EAST------

___________Bout: 753 ___________________-Kyle Durbin EAST----+

_________________________________________________Dq

-Cody Hollon PECC-------------+

Cody Hollon was DQ per the 215 brackets

Kyle Durbin EAST------

___________Bout: 753 ___________________-Kyle Durbin EAST----+

_________________________________________________Dq

-Cody Hollon PECC-------------+

PCC coaches were told by Shaw it was an injury default because the whistle blew and Hollon couldn't hear it over Unions crowd yelling for another match. Don't know where the DQ came from.

• Upvote 1

Up to this point i have really enjoyed reading all of the topics on this website. but to have people bashing another kid like most of you have done with Kyle Durbin is truely unacceptible. This young man has worked his A$$ off, he went to 215 for the challenge. not because he was too lazy to lose weight. sounds like there are some sore losers out there that took for granted themselves or their teammate was going to walk away with the 215 title. As far as cheating, BIG LAUGH. we could make a list of the wrestlers and teams that fake injury to stop from getting pinned. If you don't like the outcome of the tournament the easiest way to change it is stop whining and do something about it. but until then don't bash another kid for their hard work and talent

An illegal slam is either going to be considered unnecessary roughness of a technical violation, either way, there would need to be a combination of 4 of these for the match to end in a DQ (unless injury time was caused by the slam, and the wrestler was not able to continue).

Normally, the violator would be penalized as follows: first offense - one point; second offense - another point for his rival; third offense - two points for his adversary; and fourth offense - disqualification.

"Item 6:

UNNECESSARY ROUGHNESS

Any intentional act that is hazardous to an opponent's physical well-being is considered unnecessary roughness.

Furthermore, if a hold is utilized for the sole purpose of punishment alone, the referee may see fit to declare unnecessary roughness. Such perpetrations as striking, kicking, butting with the head, elbowing, and forceful tripping are examples of this infraction.

Normally, the violator would be penalized as follows: first offense - one point; second offense - another point for his rival; third offense - two points for his adversary; and fourth offense - disqualification.

However, when the official believes the unnecessary roughness of the wrestler to be totally inexcusable, he can indicate a "flagrant misconduct" signal, which is an automatic disqualification and the deduction of ALL team points scored in the event. Certainly, a sucker punch to the jaw would fall under this category.

Q: Wrestler A shoots a hard double leg, causing Wrestler B to hit his head on the mat forcefully when taken down. The match had to be stopped to check if Wrestler B was injured. Would this be considered unnecessary roughness on the part of Wrestler A?

A: Wrestler A would not be penalized with unnecessary roughness. It was a legal move similar to a hard tackle in football.

Item 7:

TECHNICAL VIOLATIONS

There are six technical violations in wrestling and all are penalized in the following manner: First Offense - 1 penalty point (for opponent); Second Offense - 1 penalty point; Third Offense - 2 penalty points; Fourth Offense - Disqualification.

Let's now consider wrestling's six technical violations:

"Leaving the Mat Proper" -- No wrestler may completely step off the wrestling mat without permission of the referee.

"Intentionally Going Out-Of-Bounds" -- If either wrestler goes out-of-bounds to avoid wrestling his opponent for any reason (except when near-fall points are scored), this technical violation will be enforced.

"Grasping of Clothing" -- A contestant may grab nothing but his opponent while wrestling or this encroachment will be called. Furthermore, when a wrestler grasps his adversary's uniform to prevent him from scoring , the appropriate penalty point(s) will be given along with any points his opponent may have obtained.

"Interlocking or Overlapping Hands" -- The offensive (or top) wrestler may only lock or touch hands around his opponent's body or both legs when he is scoring near-fall points or his antagonist stands up. If his rival scores points while he commits this violation, his opponent would also receive the stipulated penalty point(s). Note, the official can only stop the match to award point(s) when the bottom man is unable to gain an escape or reversal due to interlocking or overlapping hands.

"The Figure-4 Head Scissors" -- The figure-4 head scissors is a technical violation in the neutral position.

"Improperly Equipped" -- Reporting to the scorer's table, not properly equipped, or not ready to wrestle or any equipment that is detected as being illegal after the match has started is a technical violation. "

Durbin won because injury time ran out and he was unable to continue, not because the slam itself caused the DQ.

PCC coaches were told by Shaw it was an injury default because the whistle blew and Hollon couldn't hear it over Unions crowd yelling for another match. Don't know where the DQ came from.

From the khsaa

2011 KHSAA State Wrestling Tournament

Perry County Central - 33.00 Points Ded: 1.00-(Where did this come from?)

215 Kyle Durbin Record: 5- 0 1st Place

Result Opponent School How

Won Eli Meredith Larue County Dec 11-5

Won Samuel Vanover Whitley County Dec 12-5

Won Brandon Simota Meade County Dec 10-9

Won Cody Hollon Perry County Central DQ

Won Trent Hardy Ashland Blazer Dec 10-8

215 Cody Hollon Record: 3- 3 6th Place

Won Freddy Shadeh Tates Creek Fall 1:41

Won Thomas Day Boone County Dec 6-5

Won Matt Hillard Nelson County Fall 3:13

Lost Kyle Durbin Eastern DQ

Lost Andrew Ogg Henry Clay Dec 3-2

Lost Matt Hillard Nelson County Dec 6-4

If it was an injury default,than it would have been like this

215 Brendan Darrow Record: 5- 1 3rd Place

Won Rashawn Wilkins Union County M-Dec 12-2

Won Chad Conway Holy Cross (Louisville) Def INJ

or

135 Joshua Russo Record: 3- 2 6th Place

Won Ryan Bunch Ohio County T-Fall 18-3

Won Austin Dillow Anderson County Fall 0:09

Won Stephen Back Whitley County Fall 0:58

Lost Kevin Cooper Simon Kenton M-Dec 13-0

Lost Caleb Canter Larue County Def INJ

Maybe the someone messed up at the table or entering it in the computer?

Kyle Durbin = Worst State Champ Ever?

But he has a State Championship on his wall. Who should have won?The undefeated guy he beat in the finals? I know one of the Eastern coaches pretty good and he is a hell of a guy and they work their butts off with these kids. I dont think the kid was told to take a dive, just my opinion, if it was called illegal and the kid was hurt in the match then blame the ref he called it illegal.But simple fact like it or not the Durbin kid beat the ONLY undefeated 215 in the state.

From the khsaa

2011 KHSAA State Wrestling Tournament

Perry County Central - 33.00 Points Ded: 1.00-(Where did this come from?)

215 Kyle Durbin Record: 5- 0 1st Place

Won Eli Meredith Larue County Dec 11-5

Won Samuel Vanover Whitley County Dec 12-5

Won Brandon Simota Meade County Dec 10-9

Won Cody Hollon Perry County Central DQ

Won Trent Hardy Ashland Blazer Dec 10-8

215 Cody Hollon Record: 3- 3 6th Place

Won Freddy Shadeh Tates Creek Fall 1:41

Won Thomas Day Boone County Dec 6-5

Won Matt Hillard Nelson County Fall 3:13

Lost Kyle Durbin Eastern DQ

Lost Andrew Ogg Henry Clay Dec 3-2

Lost Matt Hillard Nelson County Dec 6-4

If it was an injury default,than it would have been like this

215 Brendan Darrow Record: 5- 1 3rd Place

Won Rashawn Wilkins Union County M-Dec 12-2

Won Chad Conway Holy Cross (Louisville) Def INJ

or

135 Joshua Russo Record: 3- 2 6th Place

Won Ryan Bunch Ohio County T-Fall 18-3

Won Austin Dillow Anderson County Fall 0:09

Won Stephen Back Whitley County Fall 0:58

Lost Kevin Cooper Simon Kenton M-Dec 13-0

Lost Caleb Canter Larue County Def INJ

Maybe the someone messed up at the table or entering it in the computer?

The point was deducted from the Heavyweight tossing his headgear. Saw too much of that happening at state. Scorer made a mistake.

Kyle Durbin = Worst State Champ Ever?

Ok the kid is state champion dont bash him. He worked hard for it and apparently was the best 215 in the state or he wouldve lost in the finals. He beat a great wrestler to win state so quit bashing him.