JCB0577

Middle school finals

yeoldhdad.  How so?  Most of the winners were predicted accurately.  Of coarse there were a few surprises.  Great matches all day long.  Congratulations to all the state placers as well as the qualifiers. 

No no, don't misunderstand me. I just mean it is interesting how often the predictions are right, and the surprise wins thrown in make it even more interesting! Love it!

Interesting stat:

Derek Wiley out scored his opponents at district, regionals, and state by a combined score of 126-1! And that one point was on a stalling call in the semi's, which was also his closest match with a score of 8-1.

I just found that last night and thought I would share it. Over all the finals were relatively competitive, I think KY Coach was not to far off when he said as many as 8 pins, I definently thought there were pins in other matches that werent called or 8 would have been spot on.

On a side note, how does a school get -3 points in the state tournament??? I must be missing something here.

I was surprised at how dominate the club division was this year over the school division. The top 5 teams all being club was quite impressive. Gray diffently put on a show as did Union county. Both teams represent the state very well.

70 Roth/Jacobs -  Roth by 1

75 Sheffer/Fallon - Sheffer Pin

82 Wiley/Binder -  Wiley by 1

89 Erdman/Hurst -  Erdman Pin

96 Erdman/Heidorf -  Erdman Pin

103 Smith/Yeaples - Smith Pin

110 Wright/Shirkey -  Shirkey 2

117 Belk/Mitchell -  Belk Pin

124 Oxford, Branstetter/Frankrone - Frankrone by 2

131 Lampe/Metts - Lampe Pin

140 Meiman/Mills - Meiman Pin

150 Matthews/Miller  - Matthews by 2

165 Warwick/Brown  - Warwick by 2

185 Underwood/Adams  - Underwood by 3

230 Carr/Johnson  - Carr Pin

So, who out there had a better day picking the Champions at the end of the day?

The only weight class I missed completely and did not have a pick in was 230.  11 out of 15.  Not too bad, if I do say so myself.  I did miss on the scores, but ColtAttack is right, if we would have called pins a little faster in the finals, 8 pins was not that far off. 

Great day of wrestling to everyone involved. 

I will have to say that the one win I was most impressed about was Wiley's win over Binder.  I only had him winning by 1 pt.  He absolutely handled Binder and deserved the MOW and the title that he won.  12-0 and at one point was very close to a Fall.  That's huge.  This kid has all the makings of something great. 

Wiley - Keep working hard and widening that gap with the rest of the kids in the state.  Great job kid! 

Alright folks.  There were not 9 pins.  8 was my initial pick.  There were only 5 pins in the finals.  There might have been more if we called them faster.  Have to make sure they are pinned first.  It was the State Finals. 

70 Jacobs

140 Meiman

150 Matthews

165 Warwick

185 Underwood

Ok kycoach what is your point ? I think you may have taken it personal when I made the joke about how many pins you picked. I said,I cant argue your picks you took a lot of good wrestlers.But the only thing I said was Heidof would not be pinned by Erdman,and I would have said the same thing had you  said Heidof would pin Erdman.They  are both very good wrestlers.So if you are keeping score I was 1for 1.But who really cares,now on to something else, why in the world would anyone,that wants to see ky wrestling improve,want to see a bunch of pins in the finals.Maybe you just want to see NKY improve and nobody else ? You said yourself you were bias. sounds like a conflict of interest for a ref ? Last of all,the way you and some others got on here and wanted to let it known how Wiley just handled Bindner,cant you just congratulate Derek for a great win and move on,that sounds like something AJ would say or do(but he is a kid and I am trying to fix that).Everyone knows AJ is a talker(and for that reason it may have gotten Derek the votes he needed to win MOW) and I have told him a million times it would come back to bite him and it did,and you may think I am crazy but I am glad he lost now.I get to see if this changes him.So keep saying how bad Wiley beat him and how he has separated himself from the other wrestlers(and by the way all in 3 weeks,just think what he can do by next year) and I get to see what AJ is made of and how he responds.See I too,like Derek, think  AJ has something special to do in this sport,but I could be wrong and you are going to help me find out.Lets see if he shuts his mouth and trains or quits.

Both kids are fantastic wrestlers.  Congratulations Derek you deserve MOW for beating a 2 X state champ.  Most anticipated the barn burner you guys put on in the first match with AJ winning in a close one.  AJ, keep your head up and keep training, one match does not undo a great year or define you as a wrestler.  Learn from it and keep working hard.

WHS98 - blah blah blah!  :roll: It looks to me like you have taken my comments quite personal.  I simply pointed out that there were only 5 pins not 9.  Take it easy!  I didn't say I wanted to see a bunch of pins in the finals.  I was merely adding my picks and what I thought would happen in the finals.  As far as the Wiley/Binder match, again it was what I thought and what I saw and that is what I pointed out.  If you saw something different, lets here it.  If not, chill out man.  8-)  As far as all that other stuff you put on here about Binder,  personally, I don't care.  I didn't vote.  Lastly, I said I was biased in my picks is because most of the kids I have seen this year wrestle were NKy kids.  Nope, no conflict of interest here. 

Peace!       

ok I did see something in the match.I saw Derek totally dominate AJ to the point where AJ just quit,it was sickening.If I paid for  just that match I would have wanted my money back.you made it a point to tell just about the Bindner/wiley match so that was what I based it being personal on,I figured you did it to jab at me and that would be ok.But I know he reads what is  being said on here(he is not allowed to post) and that is the disrespect to his opponents that I am trying to change.I just find it hard to believe that a person that posted how coaches and parents should act would try and belittle a wrestlier in a public forum.AJ won state 2 times and beat Derek once but never did I get on here and say how bad he beat anyone.I am really not sure of who you are but a Ref. openly saying he is biased is not good for the sport.I am sure it will be brought up again somewhere down the line.  Peace

WHS98 - you talk about others belittling your son but go on to say his match sickend you and you would want your money back? Also, in another post his options are to shut his mouth, train harder or quit? Those words from a father will be much most devastating to the young man than any stranger from NKY. Last Saturday, he got beat by someone who was better (on that day) nothing more nothing less.

I don't believe KYCoach was doing anything more than congratulating Wiley for wrestling his best match of the year at the right moment. He was also having a little fun with his skill at picking the winners BASED mainly on the fact that he saw the NKY almost every weekend. While I did strongly challenge (disagree and/or hate) some of his calls on the mat this year - I absolutely agree with his intention to congratulate a wrestler who deserved it.

I was lucky enough to have a son stand at the top of the podium last Saturday. I can assure you that if he got beat 15-0 in the finals I would still have been PROUD not sickened. These boys are 11-14 years old not paid professional athletes.

AJ  - if you do read these don't quit - take that horrible feeling in the pit of your stomach and draw on it as motivation next year whenever you need some extra strength to keep going. Wrestling is a very humbling sport but teaches many wonderfull life lessons .

WHS98:

Good grief sir, you are taking these comments WAYYYYY out of context. I take KYCOACH's comments that Wiley's level of wrestling was great to beat a 2xer by the margin that he did. He is pointing out how hard that he had to have trained to accomplish this, especially after having lost to your son earlier. No intentions at all to belittle anyone here, especially a kid. Your comments toward your sons performance were far more harsh (10 fold) than anything anyone else said.Don't take everything so personal. Sounds like you also are having a hard time dealing with a loss of a match. Just my observation though

Refdad you and Act make some good points.Looking at my post I guess it does look like I belittled him very bad but he knows what I want most in a match is not to quit.He has lost many of matches and I told him how good he did.He told me he quit. That is why I said it the way I did,but I was not the only person that read kycoachs post and said why cant people just congratulate a kid without all the other stuff,I was just the only one that posted a response.

WHS98 - This will be my last post relating to this topic you have chosen to make about only you and your child.  Until now, I didn't know who WHS98 is or was.  Now, I am pretty sure we all do.  How you coach and handle your kid is none of my business nor do I want to make it my business.  This is a public forum and sometimes things are said that everyone may not like.  That is ok.  Strickly opinion and I did not belittle your child, again I called it like I saw it.  Judgement Call!  By the way, AJ, keep you're head up big man, you had a great day of wrestling.  Great job!

Act Like Youve Been There - Thanks for backing me up and I promise you that everyone will not like every call that a ref makes, good or bad.  As for me, I call it like I see it and most of ref'ing is 95% judgement.  I promise to keep trying to make the right calls.