Sign in to follow this  
ryledad

Food Concessions

The best suggestion you can do is to either write or call the khsaa and let them know what you think.  I believe that the food vendor is attached to the convention center and not to the state tournament.  The khsaa had no say in who it was or prices, and I completely agree it was terrible and unacceptable.  But like I said everyone needs to express their opinion to the khsaa and let the emails and phone calls pile up..I confess I did buy 2 cokes because I had my fill of lemonade and raspberry tea!!  Next year they would be better off just not even opening up the concession stands.  I think it was all so overpriced to pay for the 4-5 people standing in the booth doing nothing while one person could take money and get a coke out...

Guys:  This was my FIRST state meet.  It was one of the best events I've been to, from just the "show" standpoint.  The food however, was a SAD SAD SAD thing for a STATE meet.  My son's regional had better food (we hosted this year).  The Committee made sure it was "Wrestler Friendly" and "Parent Friendly", knowing that most of the folks would be there from 7:30 am- 6pm!  One would hope that a STATE MEET would want to SHOWCASE the event in all aspects.  I agree with others-- a nasty slice of pizza (which gave me the craps) + soda for $6?  Later on, we got 2 prezztles and a G2 for about $9.  UGGGG. :|

there is a deli riht in front of the convention center and its food is delicious and has a pretty wide variety of food and drinks at reasonable prices too.

there is a deli riht in front of the convention center and its food is delicious and has a pretty wide variety of food and drinks at reasonable prices too.

I agree with you 100%, however, I can't tell you how many times I heard them say, "Sorry, cash or check only"

Not only were the prices ridiculous, but when schools only give you $5.00 a meal and you can't buy a meal inside the area at that price, then the wrestlers are not being considered.  Food that was overpriced and undercooked for three straight days is irresponsible. This is our state tournament. I don't care who runs the concessions, the KSHAA should be dictating to the venues what they want. Let's be serious no matter who runs concessions they're going to make some serious money. The wrestlers, fans and coaches are trapped in the building for most of those days. The worst thing was the Coaches INhospitality room: Hot dogs and cold nachos, no caffeine and to leave a message that basically said if you don't like the food go to the concessions stand. This was inexcusable. Let something like this happen at the State Basketball or Football Tournament. Never happen. I don't blame Lundy's, I blame the KSHAA. Particularly because the food in the tournament workers room was so much better. Cold Cuts, Soda, definitely a wider variety of food. The most ridiculous part was having to resort to hiding outside food in the kids bags so they could have something edible. My challenge is this: those in charge at the KSHAA must dictate to the venues what they want or look for a venue that will be more accommodating.

Not only were the prices ridiculous, but when schools only give you $5.00 a meal and you can't buy a meal inside the area at that price, then the wrestlers are not being considered.  Food that was overpriced and undercooked for three straight days is irresponsible. This is our state tournament. I don't care who runs the concessions, the KSHAA should be dictating to the venues what they want. Let's be serious no matter who runs concessions they're going to make some serious money. The wrestlers, fans and coaches are trapped in the building for most of those days. The worst thing was the Coaches INhospitality room: Hot dogs and cold nachos, no caffeine and to leave a message that basically said if you don't like the food go to the concessions stand. This was inexcusable. Let something like this happen at the State Basketball or Football Tournament. Never happen. I don't blame Lundy's, I blame the KSHAA. Particularly because the food in the tournament workers room was so much better. Cold Cuts, Soda, definitely a wider variety of food. The most ridiculous part was having to resort to hiding outside food in the kids bags so they could have something edible. My challenge is this: those in charge at the KSHAA must dictate to the venues what they want or look for a venue that will be more accommodating.

Naplesme has the right idea. the food sucked, the prices sucked, KHSAA step it up. We want change in 2011.

Then like I said in an earlier post, everyone needs to call, email, write the KHSAA and not just say it on here.  Coaches need to tell their athletic director how they feel and hope they will back them and say something and the parents need to tell the khsaa how they feel about it, I guarantee they won't see it from sitting on here.

Naplesme has the right idea. the food sucked, the prices sucked, KHSAA step it up. We want change in 2011.

the food last year couple of years was definately alot better.. I felt like I was at some cheap ballgame.. and  did it cost $25/person last year?

Then like I said in an earlier post, everyone needs to call, email, write the KHSAA and not just say it on here.  Coaches need to tell their athletic director how they feel and hope they will back them and say something and the parents need to tell the khsaa how they feel about it, I guarantee they won't see it from sitting on here.

Link to KHSAA/email addresss

http://www.khsaa.org/boardofcontrol/boardofcontrolinformationpage.html

Update-KHSAA responded to email.  They say that the State gov't decided to bid out the contract for concessions.  They (KHSAA) are taking the complaints to Convention Center management either this week or next week.  I think if we keep our feedback to KHSAA constructive and fact based it would be helpful.  It appears that their hands were tied, but that they are willing to address so that improvements can be made.  CoachK gave us good advice.

Update-KHSAA responded to email.  They say that the State gov't decided to bid out the contract for concessions.  They (KHSAA) are taking the complaints to Convention Center management either this week or next week.  I think if we keep our feedback to KHSAA constructive and fact based it would be helpful.  It appears that their hands were tied, but that they are willing to address so that improvements can be made.  CoachK gave us good advice.

Just a follow up.  I did contact the KHSAA and it does take a little time to get the email through however my email was seen and responded to promptly which I think say something for the association.  He did say however that we should have everyone respond so that he can take those responses to the people in charge.

That's the best way to get it done...The more people that do it the better it will be, fans, parents, wrestlers and coaches.  Of course if you are a coach make sure your AD is aware of the situation before you do it.  I found out about that last year the hard way!  Apparently, at least in JCPS, it's a chain of command and not an open door policy like at other employers I have been at! 

I sent this to all the KHSAA board members last night and what I was emailed back.

Please read the comments that Spectators and Coaches wrote about the food concessions and hospitality room at the KHSAA State wrestling finales this past week. This was a KHSAA sponsored event and reflects on the KHSAA.

Link:

http://www.kentuckywrestling.com/smf/index.php?topic=7751.0

http://www.kentuckywrestling.com/smf/index.php?topic=7762.0

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for sharing the link to the comments about the food concessions and the hospitality room.  I was unaware before receiving your email of the dissatisfaction of some in attendance.

Thanks again for sharing the information,

Kelley F. Crain

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of the problems with the food vendor. Until this year we had the opportunity to bring in an outside vendor and help decide the prices and menu. This past year, the State government decided to bid out the contract for concessions and we lost control of that aspect of the event. I plan to take all the complaints to the Convention Center management this next week and discuss what has to be done for us to continue to have this event in Frankfort. Thank you and I hope you continue to support high school athletics.

Michael J. Barren, CMAA

Assistant Commissioner

Kentucky High School Athletic Association

2280 Executive Drive

Lexington, KY 40505

(859) 299-5472

mbarren@khsaa

Thanks - for letting me know.  I will pass this along to the staff at KHSAA.  I am not sure what they can do since the vendor comes with the facility.  Again thanks for e-mailing me.

David L Weedman, EdD

District Assessment Coordinator

Shelby County Schools

Rob:

I have tried to call you this morning as I think that this warrants

immediate conversation. I am quite concerned as I was present all weekend

and not one word was mentioned by the FCC management or event officials.  I

will address the concerns individually, however, I am quite perplexed as I

did not handle the hospitality room nor was Lundy's "kicked" out of the

area.  I am rendering an official letter which I will send over shortly

however, I would again request that you contact me as soon as possible.

Alissa L. Tibe

Lundy's Special Events

This was sent to all of our Board members and they are quite upset.

i'll send others that you can share with lundy's, maybe we can get a

meeting with Lundy's and try to fix this.

Subject: FW: Food at KHSAA Wrestling Finals

I assume you are getting this information.

Anita

It is great to see that the voice of the people is being heard.  We are the ones who spend our hard earned dollars at this event and it will be interesting to see how this plays out in the coming year.  If asked by the organization, I would be willing to help oversee this for the coming year if they need input from the "common" man.  POWER TO THE PEOPLE.  Next stop Washington. Uhhhh well maybe just Frankfort.

This is incorrect.  I was personally told by last years vendor that he had been out bid.....or under bid.  Lundy's agreed to give the KHSAA a larger % of the proceeds.

I would like to recant this statement.  I was misinformed and made an inaccurate statement.  The KHSAA had nothing to do with the food/concessions at the State tournament.  The Civic/Convention Center was responsible for who they gave the bid to for concessions.  I apologize to the KHSAA for any inconveniences this may have caused them, and for any negative connotations that may have resulted from this statement.