Sign in to follow this  
BigBossMan

Region Realignments for 2010/2011

I have one question, why would you take Woodford out of Region 7 when Montgomery county is farther away than Woodford is from Lexington? It would make a lot more sense to put Montgomery in Region 6 then. Also Lexington is Central Kentucky and Versailles (Woodford Co.) is only 10 mins down the road from Lexington.

Here's a map of the regions and a zoom shot of region 3

Looks pretty even geographically... region 8 really does look really spread out.

(This isn't 100% of the teams but I'm only missing a few that I couldn't get the address for)

Mathound, how recently was this map updated?

I updated it last night to include Belfry, Madison Central, Trigg County, Walton-Verona, and Meade County

It's still missing Union County, Bullit Central, Cooper, and maybe a few more

I'll try to post it somewhere later so that you get the real map and not just a screen shot

I could see getting rid of region 3 and splitting it among regions 4 and 5... only having 2 regions for louisville. This would allow you to create a new "South Region" to split up region 8 and reduce the travel for region 8... meanwhile reducing the number of teams in region 2 and region 7.

Send Meade County to Region 2 to reduce the numbers in the new region 3. (Maybe 1 or 2 more teams too)

Create a new "South Region" which would include South West half of region 8 plus Danville, Boyle County, and Madison Central.

Send Montgomery County to the new region 8 (it is right on 64 and mountain parkway for quick travel). Maybe this will spark interest in growth areas like somerset, corbin, berea, morehead, West Liberty, etc. We need to find a way to spark some interest in Bowling Green, and Campbellsville area too

I believe a few more teams are adding in region 8 next year along with a few more teams in region 7 like Scott County, etc

I updated it last night to include Belfry, Madison Central, Trigg County, Walton-Verona, and Meade County

It's still missing Union County, Bullit Central, Cooper, and maybe a few more

I'll try to post it somewhere later so that you get the real map and not just a screen shot

Don't see Anderson Co.

I could see getting rid of region 3 and splitting it among regions 4 and 5... only having 2 regions for louisville. This would allow you to create a new "South Region" to split up region 8 and reduce the travel for region 8... meanwhile reducing the number of teams in region 2 and region 7.

Send Meade County to Region 2 to reduce the numbers in the new region 3. (Maybe 1 or 2 more teams too)

Create a new "South Region" which would include South West half of region 8 plus Danville, Boyle County, and Madison Central.

Send Montgomery County to the new region 8 (it is right on 64 and mountain parkway for quick travel). Maybe this will spark interest in growth areas like somerset, corbin, berea, morehead, West Liberty, etc. We need to find a way to spark some interest in Bowling Green, and Campbellsville area too

I believe a few more teams are adding in region 8 next year along with a few more teams in region 7 like Scott County, etc

this sounds like an excellent idea

I'm surprised that Campbellsville having a college program hasn't sparked any interest in that area.

Campbellsville High School had a program up till like 2000 I believe

Coach James has started a Youth Program. He has been doing it for 2 years now. They competed this year under the name Taylor County.

I don't understand how Wrestling has not made it to Bowling green.

And I still can't believe how many schools that compete in Class 5A and 6A in football don't have wrestling programs.  In 6A Graves Co, Henderson Co, Marshall Co, Muhlenberg Co, Greenwood, Butler, Male, Shelby Co, Ballard & Scott Co don't have wrestling teams.  In Class 5A Madisonville, Owensboro, Barren Co, Bowling Green, Grayson Co, Warren Central, Waggener, Grant Co, Covington Catholic, Highlands, Lincoln Co, Pulaski Co, South Laurel, Southwestern, Clay Co, Harlan Co & North Laurel don't have wrestling programs.  Now I know a few of these use to have wrestling teams not too long ago and a few more are getting ready to start programs, but still, that number is staggering.  That's almost 40% of the schools who compete at the top 2 classes in football who don't have wrestling programs.

Here's a map of the regions and a zoom shot of region 3

Looks pretty even geographically... region 8 really does look really spread out.

(This isn't 100% of the teams but I'm only missing a few that I couldn't get the address for)

looks good but i would change the one school in region 4 (the one that is alittle bit away from the bunch and change it out for one of the region 3 schools that is closer)

P.S do u need Bullitt central and bullitt east address

looks good but i would change the one school in region 4 (the one that is alittle bit away from the bunch and change it out for one of the region 3 schools that is closer)

P.S do u need Bullitt central and bullitt east address

Check the new map... http://map.kentuckywrestling.com/

This is currently how it stands today

What about Kentucky School for the Blind? They still technically have a team though it hasn't been full in decades.

KSB is on the list.  They're listed with Region 4 and they're just to the right of Central on the map Mathound has provided.

Okay. Discussion has gone around and around. Lets see where we are. 2 options I propose from the feed back received.

Option 1:

Reg 1(13 teams): Apollo, Caldwell Co, Calloway Co, Christian Co, Daviess Co, Ft Campbell, Hopkinsville, Ohio Co, Pad Tighlman, Trigg Co, Union Co, University Heights.

Reg 2(10 teams): Barren Co, Bullitt Cent, Bullitt East, Cent Hardin, Ft Knox, John Hardin, Larue Co, Meade Co, Nelson Co, North Hardin.

Reg 3(14 teams): Central, Desales, Doss, Fairdale, Holy Cross, Iroquois, KSB, Manual, PRP, Shawnee, Southern, St X, Valley, Western.

Reg 4(12 teams): Atherton, Eastern, Fern Creek, Eastern, Jeffersontown, KCD, Moore, North Oldham, Oldham Co, Seneca, South Oldham, Trinity.

Reg 5(13 teams): Bishop Brossart, Boone Co, Campbell Co, Conner, Cooper, Dixie Heights, Grant Co, Holmes, Newport, Ryle, Scott, Simon Kenton, Walton-Verona.

Reg 6(10 teams): Bourbon Co, Bryan Station, Franklin Co, Henry Clay, Lafayette, Montgomery Co, PL Dunbar, Tates Creek, Woodford Co, Western Hills.

Reg 7(8 teams): Anderson Co, Boyle Co, Danville, Madison Cent., Madison So., McCreary Cent., Wayne Co, Whitley Co.

Reg 8(11 teams): Ashland Blazer, Belfry, Hazard, Jenkins, Johnson Cent., Lawrence Co, Letcher Co Cent, Perry Co Cent., Pike Co Cent., Prestonsburg, Sheldon Clark.

Option 2:

Reg 1(13 teams): Same as above

Reg 2(10 teams): Same as above

Reg 3(13 teams): Central, Desales, Doss, Fairdale, Holy Cross, Iroquois, KSB, Manual, PRP, Shawnee, St X, Valley, Western.

Reg 4(9 teams): Atherton, Eastern, Fern Creek, Jeffersontown, KCD, Moore, Seneca, Southern, Trinity.

Reg 5(13 teams): Same as above

Reg 6(9 teams): Anderson Co, Boyle Co, Danville, Franklin Co, North Oldham, Oldham Co, South Oldham, Woodford Co, Western Hills.

Reg 7(10 teams): Bourbon Co, Bryan Station, Harrison Co, Henry Clay, Lafayette, Madison Cent., Madison So., Montgomery Co, PL Dunbar, Tates Creek.

Reg 8(14 teams): Ashland Blazer, Belfry, Hazard, Jenkins, Johnson Cent., Lawrence Co, Letcher Co Cent., McCreary Cent., Perry Co Cent., Pike Co Cent., Prestonsburg, Sheldon Clark, Wayne Co, Whitley Co.

Both options include teams that may or may not have programs or participants in postseason this year or next. Those are: Trigg Co., Barren Co, KSB, Atherton, KCD, Grant Co, Madison So., Hazard, Jenkins.

Comments: Look at participation compared to travel for both plans. The map has been provided by Mathound. Not really a good place to find participation figures, but most informed persons know what teams are full or not.

Someone set up a poll. I don't know how.

How likely is it we will actually realign or is this topic more hypothetical

It's probably more hypothetical at this point. The KHSAA is doing realignment in some other sports right now and it really comes down to how badly the coaches want it. Unless the coaches really push for it, it won't happen.