Sign in to follow this  
oldwrestler81

Toughest Region to qualify from

Look, I'm not from Northern Kentucky.  But we have this discussion every year.  Union County or Woodford County or Trinity may sneak in with enough champions to win the state tournament, but overall there is no question that it is more difficult to get through the Northern Kentucky regional to state.  That region almost always has more state placers than any other region.  No question.

wha wha wha Northern Ky.

I'm pretty sure everyone in Region 5 feels this way.  Realignment would be best, as long as it's done logically.  I like the idea of 32 man brackets for the inclusiveness and atmosphere of state, but everyone should get their because they earned it. 

We all know Spencer's a great wrestler, darn shame he doesn't feel like placing 1st in the region validates that.  Good thing he understands the man makes the medal, not the other way around.

Being from Region 1 I would have to say now it is the Northern Ky region that is the most difficult. In my days it was our region because of the strength of Union, Hoptown, Christian, Fort Campbell, and individuals from Caldwell. Then you mixed in North, Central Hardins and Fort Knox that had some good kids up there. Now that was tough.  :wink:

I wrestled in what region 5 and the NKY region used to be when state was a 16 man tourny.  This by far was the toughest region.  I do agree there should be a realignment, but you don't want to exclude the kids from getting some glory by making it to state.  I think its great that some of the wrestlers that wouldn't have had a chance to make it to state early in there careers get to have the experience.  Teams are up and down from year to year.  You shouldn't be able to weigh-in and make state, but you shouldn't be ranked in the top 10 and miss state either.

I wrestled in what region 5 and the NKY region used to be when state was a 16 man tourny.  This by far was the toughest region.  I do agree there should be a realignment, but you don't want to exclude the kids from getting some glory by making it to state.  I think its great that some of the wrestlers that wouldn't have had a chance to make it to state early in there careers get to have the experience.  Teams are up and down from year to year.  You shouldn't be able to weigh-in and make state, but you shouldn't be ranked in the top 10 and miss state either.

Clearly written by someone who has has sometime away from the sport and truly understands it's value.  More than any other sport, we make boys into men.  Being a participant at the state level and seeing what it's like must add to people's maturity...not distract from it.

The toughest region to win is definitely Region 6.  Mainly because to win region you have to go through Ryle and Campbell.  However, the toughest region to qualify for state from is definitely Region 7.  You have to battle woodford and tates creek for the win but to get 3rd or 4th you have to get past bourbon co, dunbar, franklin co, henry clay, harrison co, lafayette,  all of which usually field a full squad.  Add in the qualifiers from western hills ( a few) Bryan station (eh) Montgomery Co (an up and comer)  Madison Central( a 6 A school that will take off soon) and it is tough to make it to state.  There are no weigh in qualifiers in this region.  After the top 2 in region 6 there is a huge drop off.  Not so much in quality but quantity.  SK, Cooper, WV Scott all have some good wrestlers but usually only field half a team.  Every year Region 7 has several top 20 kids that get upset at regions and are on the outside looking in.  If all regions were as competitive as region 7, the 32 man bracket would be an awesome thing!!!

region four has the toughest region. We have st.x and trinity which have returning state champs and every they have are recruitred because they got the money to do it...lol

Not to mention Seneca, which is usually strong.  It's usually (not always) everyone else battling for the 4th spot.