Sign in to follow this  
eaglewrestler12

Finals Predictions

Ranger can you  imagine 30 coaches on a conferance call.  we can't seem to even level out the regions. But just for fun let's  seed say the top  4 (or 8) wrestlers.  How to we fit the rest in? Blind draw?  How would that go over?

Ranger can you  imagine 30 coaches on a conferance call.  we can't seem to even level out the regions. But just for fun let's  seed say the top  4 (or 8) wrestlers.  How to we fit the rest in? Blind draw?  How would that go over?

I've always said only seed the region champs, top 4, 6, or 8.  I don't care.  Then the #2, #3, and #4 fall into place based on the current bracket layout (#1 vs #4, #2 vs #3).  The seeding separate the top guys and determine the region vs region draws based on how the seeds fall out.

There would only be a few coaches "discussing" each weight class. 

Leaving the state in search of better competition doesn't speak well of the wrestlers in ky, but I understand that, as well as I understand financial difficulties of some programs. This has been a growing problem for some of the southwestern ky programs for many years. They are finding it more and more difficult to go the tournaments in northern and eastern parts of ky in persuit of better competition, but are hampered by finances as well. This forces them to seek competition in tenn or missouri.  It's not a perfect world as we all know, but if what everyone claims that they're in it for the kids, then some changes and compromises need to be made across the board for all programs not just some. I need to get back to the seeding question,sry i'm rambling, the kids who prove themselves above the rest during the season deserve that perk at state and will provide more evenly matched finals as well as more exciting championship matches....it's done in other sports and with much success I might add, why not at state?

Sry wasn't talkin bout hs, but it would seem that seedings is a really touchie issue...i'm just a fan of if u earn it u should get it. Being one of or the top wrestler in your weight class in the state during the year as well as in your regional tourny, it should be an added perk you can earn at the state tournament. Just something else to shoot for.

The fact is 90% of these kids are not wrestling for a state title. They are wrestling for the best placement they can get. And for the 10% wrestling for a state title, 75% of those kids meet in the quarters or semis. This also means the kid that forfeited in the finals at regional tournament got the best DRAW at state tournament.

Which goes back to regional seeding. This is garbage, this should be straight up criteria.

Your records should be available with means to verify. No arguing over records. No verification no seed!!

Ryle, Campbell co., Simon Kenton etc. that wrestle in Ohio more than easily have verification of there criteria. Takes the argument out of the scenario!

Another good point.  Mandatory reporting of results.  If the "committee" had all of the results throughout the season and we established a criteria, the seeding would be done.  Then a conference call would be held simply to go over the results and discuss and crazy situations that were especially complicated.

Another good point.  Mandatory reporting of results.  If the "committee" had all of the results throughout the season and we established a criteria, the seeding would be done.  Then a conference call would be held simply to go over the results and discuss and crazy situations that were especially complicated.

Would you change the date for a wrestler to change weight classes. If a wrestler competes at 145 and then at state duals drops to 140 or goes up to 150. Then you wouldn't have much info on these wrestlers for there weight classes. This would through the criteria out the window. They may be the best but don't have many matches and could throw the top two wrestlers on the same side again.

I agree with Ranger, seed the top 8 kids. All the region placements would fall in after that. If you have the number one kid in the state in your region and you place second. Then you would be away from him in state. Gets you away and the possibility to show your worth against other seeded wrestlers first. I also like the mandatory reporting. If coaches have to send info on kids in to a state director then we have seeding criteria. You would see some of those head to head matches. And even if they weren't head to head maybe level of opponents would give you a basis as well.

I agree with Ranger, seed the top 8 kids. All the region placements would fall in after that. If you have the number one kid in the state in your region and you place second. Then you would be away from him in state. Gets you away and the possibility to show your worth against other seeded wrestlers first. I also like the mandatory reporting. If coaches have to send info on kids in to a state director then we have seeding criteria. You would see some of those head to head matches. And even if they weren't head to head maybe level of opponents would give you a basis as well.

What if the #1 kid gets 2nd then he could wrestle the #2 kid in the state in the second round. Why can't we just seed all 32 wrestlers. That would be fair for all wrestlers and those teams that are vying for a state title.

If he is the #1 kid and gets second then maybe he is not the #1 kid. He lost his opportunity just as any other kid would if he was in his situation. Just because we assume someone is going to win doesn't necessarily mean they will win. He had the ranking and lost it just as any other kid would in his shoes. That seem fair?

That is why they have a blind draw. There is know way to seed state so its fair for all. Someone will get seeded in the top four or eight that shouldn't be there and you will have even more complaints then you do now!!!!!!!!

Ky is not that deep.  The coaches don't need to be a part of it.  Seed the regional winners.  1-8.  If the deal is a question of 1 or 2.... they still are the furthest they can be apart.  It should be very rare 1 2 3 and 4 all have claims to be a 1 or 2 seed.... at least they have only 1 of the top 4 in their half of the bracket.  The less people involved in seeding the better.  Just a little effort to keep the top 4 apart.