Sign in to follow this  
JCB0577

Snow

What is the plan if it starts snowing and icing Thursday night.  Will we role middle school state till Sunday?  Alot of us have rooms and need to know the decision.  Please respond.

I hope everyone makes the event and they have a good plan.

Maybe, Mike from the state duals (Post) can provide travel, lodging and expense for any of the teams that aren't as well off as his program. :wink:

that's what i heard, x-force. right now i'm sure it will depend on Central's ability to use their gym. last weekend the super from the HArdin County School district canceled EVERY event for HArdin County. Central's varsity was suppossed to go to State Duals (we won't go into that can of worms...) but was told before the whole disaster that they wouldnt' be allowed. so right now, if i were anyone involved with MS State this weekend, i'd keep your fingers crossed that she lets the tournament go on as they have started calling for that snow and ice again!!!

if it were me, i'd say "get there if you can." that's how the KHSAA does regions and state!!!

I know some of us are coming from Anderson County Friday night & staying....but the coaches are planning on driving Sayurday morning...?? What would they do if the coaches can't make it but the kids do?

What is the procedure if someone doesn't show as far as the 5th place finisher?  My son finished 5th at regionals and we will be there Saturday to watch his teammates.  If someone doesn't show, will he wrestle?  Does it have to be someone from his region?  Does he need to be at weight or is there an allowance given?  Sorry for so many questions, but it is our first year.

If someone doesn't show the fifth place finisher from that region gets the spot. The alternates must weigh in and make weight just like everyone else. If there is a no show and the alternate from that region is not there is goes in as a bye in the bracket.

i plan on going and staying on friday night so my wrestler doesnt have to make the long drive the morning of the tournament too, but if the school system there cancels the event because of weather i guess i wasted my time and money in etown.  i think this is bologna, it seems there needs to be a better plan in place.  these competitions are for the kids and when you have situations like the state duals where some kids didnt get a shot to compete because of weather related decisions we are cheating them. they have worked hard all year to get to that spot and get that chance and then because of circumstances outside their control they dont get to compete, its not fair to them.  but i guess all that really matters is a few schools got to compete and get their "win," its not right for a kid or a team to have to take a forfeit in these instances. if it is all really about the kids, then someone needs to fix it so this does not happen.  this is my sons first year wrestling and if we make the trip and he doesnt get to compete  its not right either. 

i plan on going and staying on friday night so my wrestler doesnt have to make the long drive the morning of the tournament too, but if the school system there cancels the event because of weather i guess i wasted my time and money in etown.  i think this is bologna, it seems there needs to be a better plan in place.  these competitions are for the kids and when you have situations like the state duals where some kids didnt get a shot to compete because of weather related decisions we are cheating them. they have worked hard all year to get to that spot and get that chance and then because of circumstances outside their control they dont get to compete, its not fair to them.  but i guess all that really matters is a few schools got to compete and get their "win," its not right for a kid or a team to have to take a forfeit in these instances. if it is all really about the kids, then someone needs to fix it so this does not happen.  this is my sons first year wrestling and if we make the trip and he doesnt get to compete  its not right either.

I sure hope the tournament is a go.  That is definitely the best case scenario.  I would love to know your suggestions for "fixing" the tournaments that are impacted by bad weather.  This is difficult for all parties involved.  Wrestling season takes place in the winter time.  Bad weather will always be a threat.  Since these functions take place on property owned by a school district there is some liability of the schools to ensure that the grounds are safe.  Let's face it......if they don't cancel and someone falls and goes boom the district may be faced with a law suit.  Same with allowing the team to travel in bad weather.  It all comes down to liability.  And I agree-that is a shame for the kids.  Gym time is at a premium in most schools, so rescheduling is a lot easier said than done. 

I hope it is a GO and everyone is able to get there and back home safely. I also would rather read about parents complaining about how their kids were not being able to wrestle because of the weather than about a how a bus full of kids slid off the road and ** killed, ** injured. Now those parents just might have a reason to complain, remember it is just a sporting event. :-o

I sure hope the tournament is a go.  That is definitely the best case scenario.  I would love to know your suggestions for "fixing" the tournaments that are impacted by bad weather.  This is difficult for all parties involved.  Wrestling season takes place in the winter time.  Bad weather will always be a threat.  Since these functions take place on property owned by a school district there is some liability of the schools to ensure that the grounds are safe.  Let's face it......if they don't cancel and someone falls and goes boom the district may be faced with a law suit.  Same with allowing the team to travel in bad weather.  It all comes down to liability.  And I agree-that is a shame for the kids.  Gym time is at a premium in most schools, so rescheduling is a lot easier said than done. 

There is one other avenue that teams need to take a look at, Union is a club but we still have paid coaches and use the school facilities. We do follow the school board rules just like the other teams in the county. The difference between us and them is we are insured through USA wrestling and the school is listed as additionally insured so no one can come back on them. I know that everyone has a USA card but don't know if the schools are listed as additional insured, if they are then the kids are covered to and from the event as long as it is a USA certified event. Keith Smith can better address this issue to make sure that what i am saying is correct.

Also, most school boards pay for state events (Bus and Hotel Rooms). You may need to talk to your school  superintendent and make sure that you are not paying for state when they would pick up the tab.

There is one other avenue that teams need to take a look at, Union is a club but we still have paid coaches and use the school facilities. We do follow the school board rules just like the other teams in the county. The difference between us and them is we are insured through USA wrestling and the school is listed as additionally insured so no one can come back on them. I know that everyone has a USA card but don't know if the schools are listed as additional insured, if they are then the kids are covered to and from the event as long as it is a USA certified event. Keith Smith can better address this issue to make sure that what i am saying is correct.

Also, most school boards pay for state events (Bus and Hotel Rooms). You may need to talk to your school  superintendent and make sure that you are not paying for state when they would pick up the tab.

The school still has liability for the grounds.  So they have responsibility for the parking lot, sidewalks etc.  If it is a weekend, chances are they aren't going to pay someone overtime to clear it.  So they call off the function.  Some schools may be lucky enough to get buses.  I know Gray does not.  Heck-Ryle doesn't get buses unless the team pays for it.  School board doesn't pay for any of that.  I'm sure it varies by district.

From my experience and talking to other parents and coaches, a lot of school districts don't cover buses for wrestling events and certainly aren't ponying up for hotel rooms for 35 kids even if it is a state event. 

Not wrestling events but the State Tournament. And not 35 kids but the one's that qualify for the individual state tournament ( Not the State Duals). I have never heard of a team sending 35 kids to the state tournament not to say it cant happen but just haven't heard of that many kids from one school qualifying for state. All i am saying is don't just take someones word, check into it yourself. If you have all your information together and present it to the school board you might get something done. But as long as you do nothing, everything will stay the same. It might take a few years to get it changed but it is worth it if you can pull it off.

ive got the fix dont hold events in hardin county anymore.  in these financial times im sure the hotels will be happy to lose all that money, except for those that have to pay anyway. i for one am not scared to drive in the rain.

ive got the fix dont hold events in hardin county anymore.  in these financial times im sure the hotels will be happy to lose all that money, except for those that have to pay anyway. i for one am not scared to drive in the rain.

It has nothing to do with the rain.  It has everything to do with the condition of the property tomorrow.  This isn't rocket science.  Nonetheless-a huge disappointment for all involved.  :cry:

no its not rocket science but im sure a wet sidewalk and parking lot wont hurt anything, i for one wont melt.  cant believe they have such great wrestling in places like michigan, minnesota and iowa where they get real snow, if they operated by kentucky standards they would never get to compete.

Grapplearms, this is why we have the USA wrestling insurance.

I highly doubt that it would absolve the school district of liability if accidents/injuries occurred on their property due to the ice/snow.  A personal injury lawyer would go after both.......and of course keep at least a third.  I am crossing my fingers that rescheduling is an option.  It won't help the inconvenience, but the kids deserve their chance-that is for sure.

if the school districts are worried about liability they should cancel all sporting events because anybody could get hurt on their facilites anytime. im not saying they shouldnt be weary of liability in this million dollar cup of coffee society, but the way to resolve this is to have it someplace where some crackpot school superintendent does not have control over what happens.