Sign in to follow this  
sneaky snake

Who was the best KY high school wrestler in the past decade?

I always thought that Jacob Murton was one of the best Ky wrestlers I have ever seen.  Glad to hear he is wrestling again at Campbellsville.  Courtney and Brad Cooper are my next two picks.

I think im going to have to go with Courtney, so smooth, so effective, hardly ever a wasted motion.Plus , just a smash mouth takin care of business kinda guy.Nothing flashy just go out, go hard, get it over with.

Courtney didn't dominate like Ruschell did, like Murton did, like Cooper did (didn't mean to forget him, he should be in my top 5) or like Starks did there last two years. Yeah he had a steller career no one can argue that but he didn't dominate in the manner the 4 previous mention did their last two years of high school. Just my opinion so don't crucify me.

Courtney didn't dominate like Ruschell did, like Murton did, like Cooper did (didn't mean to forget him, he should be in my top 5) or like Starks did there last two years. Yeah he had a steller career no one can argue that but he didn't dominate in the manner the 4 previous mention did their last two years of high school. Just my opinion so don't crucify me.

how do you figure that courtney didnt dominate, his last 2 years at the state tournement he had 3 points scored on him (if you dont include the points people scored on him when he teched them)and that was in his last match aginst lee, how much more dominate could you be

Two arguments against your opinion.  First, maybe you have a different definition of dominant, but I don't think there was much challenge for him his last couple years.  And the challenge he had (like Thuneman), was considered to be one of the best to never win a title.  Second, would be look at the competition.  And I'm not making any statements about the others you mentioned because I haven't considered who they had to beat, but I think HC has gone through some pretty tough brackets to win his titles.

Plus, this discussion is best, not most dominant.

My opinion is Courtney, same as always.  And I am not even close to a Woodford Co fan.

If Murton would have wrestled in Ky his freshman year and won a title, would he be ahead of Courtney?  Does anyone doubt Murton would have won his fresh year?  I would also have to throw Matt Zarth into my top 10 of the decade. The way he turned it up at state was always awesome to watch.

If both Murtons had been here for all four years they definitely would be at the top of the list but I have a hard time counting them as KY wrestlers because they came from Ohio and were already very good wrestlers.  I would say Courtney or Ruschell.  Cooper, Starks and I think Metzger were also very good.

Murton

Murton

Courtney

Ruschell

Cooper

Starks

Metzger

Knable

Fahy?

HA!  jp, I like the way you slipped Fahy in there at the end.  He has been amazing so far, but I think he has a little more to prove before he gets on this list with the greats.

High school accomplishments... makes the call tough.  Murton and Courtney's accomplishments have been mentioned and they were very tough.  Ruschell 4 time placer, 2 time champ... and his junior and senior years he dominated everyone... he won either most or quickest pins and was MOW.  His senior year he had no competition...   

As for a career... no contest... it's Ruschell.  No wrestler from Kentucky has placed higher on the D1 National level. 

My vote goes to Ruschell... hope his senior year is even more successful than his junior year...

Plus 4 state titles, 6 total state places,6 regional titles and i think 1 loss in state in 4 yrs

I agree, EVERY TIME Courtney stepped on the mat you knew he was going to win. I don't think you can say that about some of the other outstanding wrestlers we've have over the past 10 years. Murton was also great but I always thought Rob Smith might beat him.

Ruschell has done a amazing job at Wisconsin and is paving the way for Kentucky wrestlers.  He is making it a little easier for guys like Fahy and Ervin to secure D-1 scholarships. Keep up the great work Kyle we are all proud of you.

HA!  jp, I like the way you slipped Fahy in there at the end.  He has been amazing so far, but I think he has a little more to prove before he gets on this list with the greats.

Yeah I just thought with the way he has progressed he should be mentioned.  I see him winning Beast of the East and other national tournaments as well as four titles along the way.  With him I don't think the focus is on winning KY state titles, he expects those to come.  I like this mentality and is what I have been preaching lately.  Because this was about the "past decade" I thought he should get mentioned as when his career is over the past decade will be different.  However looking at my list only Knable will no longer be in his past decade.  Maybe a little premature but I figured what the hell.

what about Justin davis from eastern his first year wrestling he got 5th in state and then the two years he won state

I don't know who you are but if your from Eastern I'd expect you to remember he took 4th his first year wrestling.

Im going out on a thin limb, and gonna say Josh Johnson. i have always thought his transistions from one move, one scenareo, to another have been crisp, like he knew what was gonna happen way before the shot was ever there. plus he has a killer instinct, what i lack, which is when someone is close to there back, u put them there and end it, if u are close to a takedown, you get it. he has always been able to penetrate and break a wrestler, and he's class act, wonderful family too. I have a feeling him and Caleb Ervin are going to be Kentucky's biggest stars in college wrestling second MAYBE to Kyle Rushcell

Im going out on a thin limb, and gonna say Josh Johnson. i have always thought his transistions from one move, one scenareo, to another have been crisp, like he knew what was gonna happen way before the shot was ever there. plus he has a killer instinct, what i lack, which is when someone is close to there back, u put them there and end it, if u are close to a takedown, you get it. he has always been able to penetrate and break a wrestler, and he's class act, wonderful family too. I have a feeling him and Caleb Ervin are going to be Kentucky's biggest stars in college wrestling second MAYBE to Kyle Rushcell

I have always thought Johnson was a great wrestler but I think him not winning it all last year hurt his claim as one of the best of the past decade.

Courtney wasn't as dominant his senior year as Ruschell or some of those other guys were, but remember he wrestled 152 before his senior year at Super 32 and went back up to wrestle 160 for the season.  He looked smaller than normal down state and I think he was more suited for a 152 lber.  He still only had 2 "fairly" close matches, 8-3 & 8-0.  If he had went 152 for the year he may have been more dominating.  You never know.  

However, look back at his junior year bracket.  He had 3 pins & 2 tech falls, 15-0 & 16-0.  He beat Kyle Griffith in the semis without breaking a sweat 16-0.  Kyle was a very good wrestler.  I'm not crucifying you in any way, but Harrison is definitely a top 5 best high school wrestler in the past decade and on my list he'd be #1.  What has been accomplished after high school is a no brainer and goes to Ruschell.  But in high school Courtney was the man.  

Courtney weighed out of the last practice last year at 153, hard to dominate when you're giving up that kind of weight.  What would that be for a 160 the last day of state?  165?

I don't want to hijack the thread but I have to say Courtney was the ultimate teammate while at Woodford County.  Although he was almost always the best wrestler on the team, especially around his weight, he was always wrestling out of his weight class by either making a hard cut or wrestling up a weight to make room for other quality wrestlers to make the team better.  I just wanted to point out his team-first attitude to show that he could have been even more dominant had he been more selfish.

Listen i'm not saying Courtney wasn't dominate cause he was. I just remember watching Ruschell wrestle and just being "wowed". In high school wrestling esp. in Kentucky i never seen anyone so fluid and explosive and technical and smart. Kyle never seemed out of position. Same way with both Murton brothers. I just remember watching Kyle wrestle and being like he is going to be Big time one day.