bluegrassbrawler

Best wrestler never to win a state championship?

well since my thing is Fort Campbell and our guys have been mentioned i'll just throw a random one out there

Although he was never one of the greatest Alan Johnson had incredible potential. He just never focused on wrestling as much as he should've. Coach Lowe told me that lack of commitment did Brandon Campbell in too

well since my thing is Fort Campbell and our guys have been mentioned i'll just throw a random one out there

Although he was never one of the greatest Alan Johnson had incredible potential. He just never focused on wrestling as much as he should've. Coach Lowe told me that lack of commitment did Brandon Campbell in too

Alan Johnson not to take away from him had some potential but he wasn't that good. Now his older brother Nate Johnson would be a better candidate. He was ranked first going into the state tourney his senior year in probably one of the toughest weight classes that year with Cody Walls, Aylor, Brian Wilson, and a very tough kid union that year his name slips my mind.

Some names that come to mind.

Mark Shaver

Andrew Cooper

Tony Perry

Josh Cooper

Daniel Theunamen

Pat Banks

Carr from Union(the small 112 one)

The union kid was Walls.

No, it was Kenny Manuel. Also Ricky Washington was in the mix from Hopkinsville.  The irony of this was at regions it was 1. Nate Johnson 2. Kenny Manuel 3. Cody Walls 4. Ricky Washington. Manuel placed 4th at state Walls placed 3rd Ricky placed 8th and Nate didn't even place let alone win a state championship.

I'm curious Why wouldnt Cody Walls be at the top of all of these list guys,he got 3rd-4th through his last years in high school,not 2 mention he did it well at every weight class,yes he was cocky and a prick at some times BUT there were many wrestlers like that all through kentucky.......(Um no names)

He's a pretty fair ref nowadays.

I'd agree Cody Walls is a very good ref for his age.  His composure at the state tournament impressed me last year.  Did he win the outstanding official award or whatever it's called?

There are two I put on the list both wrestled at Central Hardin in the early 90's. The list you all have compiled is awfully tough to go against but I just feel like these two were pretty tough.

Robbie Higdon

Darrel Smallwood

i didnt read the other 5 pages cause i didnt feel like it. but two wrestlers that were very good that never won a championship were danial thuenamen, and jon voth. also i do believe beau sanders never won, and he was also very good.

Beau Sanders never won, he was in the finals the last two years loosing to Harrison Courtney. Also Beau's team mate Josh Ashbrook, never won state got 3rd,2nd,3rd last three years. This is a kid that is number 2 in career wins in the Nation, just behind Travis Sullivan

Beau Sanders never won, he was in the finals the last two years loosing to Harrison Courtney. Also Beau's team mate Josh Ashbrook, never won state got 3rd,2nd,3rd last three years. This is a kid that is number 2 in career wins in the Nation, just behind Travis Sullivan

yeah beau and ashbrooke were both great wrestlers.

josh cooper and daniel thuneman josh cooper by far he never got his shot his senior year he would have walked through state

Mitch Ervin might have something to say about that. :evil:

As of recently I would say Ashbrook and Theuneman.  Theuneman had the better overall career but I'd say Ashbrook was better when they were seniors.  John Smith was one who was pretty good but was behind Coty Lewis and others throughout his career and consequently always had to bump up a weight and never placed.  Pat Banks was pretty good too.

As of recently I would say Ashbrook and Theuneman.  Theuneman had the better overall career but I'd say Ashbrook was better when they were seniors.  John Smith was one who was pretty good but was behind Coty Lewis and others throughout his career and consequently always had to bump up a weight and never placed.  Pat Banks was pretty good too.

i just remember john smith getting handled by tyler voth at regionals. he got spladled the week before that as well.

Yeah John wasn't the strongest wrestler to begin with even at his correct weight class and bumping up a weight probably didn't help.  Both Voths were pretty strong as well.  Smith was good at playing the angles and his endurance won him a lot of matches.

Mitch Ervin might have something to say about that. :evil:

I honestly don't think he could have said much. 

At the NKAC that year he throttled Golsby.  Made him look like he had never wrestled before. He ended up scoring something like 10 points then his coach told him to pin Golsby and he did.  He just played with Golsby.

Golsby however came to within seconds of defeating Ervin, (I didn't see the match live but have seen it on tape.) 2 or 3 seconds more and Golsby scores at least an escape to tie and maybe a reversal to win.

This is not how one wrestler fairs against another.  Josh Cooper did whatever he wanted to Golsby and Ervin had all he could handle from Golsby.

Josh Cooper walks through the state and is MOW.

Sam Isaacs from Anderson. was tough; bad call in the finals lost it for him.

I did not see any bad calls.  Issacs was also on the easy side of the bracket in a fairly weak weight class.

At the NKAC that year he throttled Golsby.  Made him look like he had never wrestled before. He ended up scoring something like 10 points then his coach told him to pin Golsby and he did.  He just played with Golsby.

Golsby however came to within seconds of defeating Ervin, (I didn't see the match live but have seen it on tape.) 2 or 3 seconds more and Golsby scores at least an escape to tie and maybe a reversal to win.

This is not how one wrestler fairs against another.  Josh Cooper did whatever he wanted to Golsby and Ervin had all he could handle from Golsby.

Mitch was a much better wrestler his senior year,and there have been others who "walks through state''.MOW also?LOL.....

Mitch was a much better wrestler his senior year,and there have been others who "walks through state''.MOW also?LOL.....

I dont really understand what you are saying at all.  Mitch and Cooper would of met up Mitch's Junior year if Cooper would of not got hurt, not his senior year.  I would have to say that I think Cooper would of walked through state his senior year as well if not for the injury.  Ervins senior year vs Coopers senior year would of been a toss up though.

Golsby must've had a bad match or got down and gave up. Regardless, I doubt Cooper would have walked through state. Ervin beat Banks which that in itself should show that not only would Ervin have hung with Cooper but probably would have beat him. I give Golsby the benefit of the doubt and say he had a good state tournament run because alot more was on the line. Also Cooper may have wrestled Golsby before being from northern ky. We could go on all day though about who would have won but the fact is it will never happen.

I did not see any bad calls.  Issacs was also on the easy side of the bracket in a fairly weak weight class.

How was that the weekside of the bracket? every wrestler he wrestled from the first match placed. look at the podium. 1 through 8. only the 1 and 3 were on that side. the 2 4 5 6 7 8 were on his side which he wrestled the 4 5 6 7 and 8