Sign in to follow this  
Frank

state elementary meeting

my name is kyle goldsmith, i am one of the coaches at fern creek and i am the new president of the kentucky youth state wrestling association. sorry for the delay getting this info out, i do not regularly check this website so if you need a quick response to something you can email me at lapllc@insightbb.com.

here's some info about the meeting.

i moved the meeting to the same location and date to immediately precede the middle school meeting in hopes of having better attendance. unfortunately, we still had very poor attendance. not sure what else we have to do to get more participation. besides that, the meeting was a success from my view. we were able to get 2 major agenda items passed that should make elementary wrestling better next year.

first, we looked at bracketing for the regional and state tournaments. stan took the actual participants from this years state tournament and re-bracketed them using the 10% rule and the computer software used by the cyw and the results were significant. just a reminder, last year the 10% rule was only for 5-6 and 7-8 and were bracketed manually, 9-10 and 11-12 year olds had set weight classes.

what we found were:

totalnumber of brackets were reduced from 112 to 91

totalnumber round robins reduced from 28 to 8

number of full 8 man brackets increased from 20 to 77

we voted to use 10% rule next year with the same computer software for all weight classes, it passed with no votes opposed.

secondly, we shortened the season by making the elementary regionals the weekend after the middle school state and the elementary state tournament the next weekend, more specifically the day after the high school state finals and will be held in the same arena (frankfort civic center).

dates for 2010:

elementary regionals February 13

elementary state tournament February 21

should make for an exciting event in a great venue.

overall, i think we made some positive changes. we do have some major issues to tackle in our fall meeting with the most important being insurance.

i will update you later on this.

also want to announce the first ever elementary state duals at montgomery county december 12, 2009. top 16 teams from elementary state tournament 2009 will compete, should be exciting and a lot of fun.

Below is the information for the First Annual Youth State Wrestling Duals.

1st Annual

Kentucky Youth State Duals

Saturday, December 12th, 2009 

McNabb Middle School

3570 Indian Mound Drive

Mt. Sterling, KY 40353

sutphinjerry@yahoo.com

ENTRY FEE:  $125 per team due on or before December 12th 2009

Make check out to Montgomery County Takedown Club.  Mail to: 

Jerry Sutphin

1102 Iroquois Drive

Mt. Sterling, KY 40353

ELIGIBILITY: Any wrestler up to and including 6th grade.

WEIGH INS: Weigh-ins at 7:30am to 9:30am

AWARDS:  Trophies for Top 3 teams

ADMISSIONS: Adults:  $5 Children/Students (5-18):  $3     Cooler Fee:  $5

WEIGHTS: 40,45,50,55A,55B,60A,60B,65A,65B,70A,70B,75A,75B,80,85,90,95,100,105,110,115,120,125,130,135+

FORMAT: 16 team, double elimination tournament, First 8 teams eliminated will drop down into consolation 8 team dual to determine 8th

dates for 2010:

So you're basically giving a big screw you to those of us who coach High School & Elementary by not allowing our elementary wrestlers to participate in either tournament with their coach. Good job way to help grow the sport :roll: When will those of you in power realize that it isn't always as easy as finding some parent to coach the kids at these tournaments. Again How about a regional and state tournament in March when the coaches in dual hats could actually coach their kids?

dates for 2010:

So you're basically giving a big screw you to those of us who coach High School & Elementary by not allowing our elementary wrestlers to participate in either tournament with their coach. Good job way to help grow the sport :roll: When will those of you in power realize that it isn't always as easy as finding some parent to coach the kids at these tournaments. Again How about a regional and state tournament in March when the coaches in dual hats could actually coach their kids?

I agree.  I know of many teams who will not be able to participate in February.  If you want to keep teams from participating you have succeeded.

This was voted on at the last meeting and won unanimous support.  It was felt, that by having the state meet the day after the High School, a tremendous amount of publicity would be generated for the Youth programs around the state resulting in more growth.  Also, if we can get kids to the High School State Tournament, they will be hooked. 

As to holding the Youth tournaments in March.  The majority of the teams start their programs in December, wrestling season.  By February most little kids are done.  I fully understand what you are saying about finding coaches.  It is extremely difficult.

Some suggestions:

1. We send flyers home to every elementary age student throughout our District to recruit kids and Parents.

2. We screen the Parents to make sure they are not wackos BUT welcome anybody who wants to help.

3. Keep in mind that on this level coaches do not need College wrestling experience.  They're teaching the most basic moves and more importantly just trying to get kids involved. 

4. Once Coaches are in place, give them a weekly outline of what you want them to teach,  and poke your head in the room once in a while to offer support.

If you have any questions on how to get a program going or how to promote your program please email me at stanmms@fuse.net  Their are several coaches around the state with 30- 100 kids with great ideas.

dates for 2010:

naplesme:

I will say this is both parties fault.  Actually its a catch 22 (or a vicious cycle).

The people who attend these elementary meetings are mostly the programs that have multiple coaches.  The same can be said about the middle school meetings.

While coaching at Holmes I had the same argument numerous times with the association.  Coaches like us (who coach all levels) who cannot find parents to attend the matches let alone help coach are left out of the equation.

I would make these recommendations. 

1.  coaches that coach on all levels try very hard to attend these meetings.  I know its almost impossible. (I was never able to), but at least try to stay in touch with someone who is attending so you can send your concerns to the meetings.

2.  Those who are at the meetings keep in mind the struggling programs.  They are the ones who usually only have one coach.  If we loose all or most of these programs the sport dies. 

I for one think having the regional and state tourneys at this time is a bad idea.  You are alienating probably 5-10 small programs.  Yeah they are the ones that have all their kids go 2 and out, but they still should be considered. 

I have seen these issues from both sides.  (the haves and have nots)  I started as a Have at Campbell, became a have not at Holmes and now a have again while my son wrestles for Campbell. 

I understand your plight Naplesme,  keep fighting, I could no longer keep it up.  Someone else needs to carry the flag for teams like yours.

Guest BNCC

Did you guys think of the parents that have elementary kids and high schoolers. Just going to the high school tournament for one set of parents is difficult enough but having to wake up the next morning and go to the elementary state tournament. Having the tournament at the end of February and the beginning of March is not a stretch. The program that start in November are usually the programs that practice their elementary and junior high kids together and the junior high's with the high schoolers. Did anybody volunteer to run Just a elementary tournament during the months of January and February to get ready for the regional and the statement?

This was voted on at the last meeting and won unanimous support.  It was felt, that by having the state meet the day after the High School, a tremendous amount of publicity would be generated for the Youth programs around the state resulting in more growth.  Also, if we can get kids to the High School State Tournament, they will be hooked. 

As to holding the Youth tournaments in March.  The majority of the teams start their programs in December, wrestling season.  By February most little kids are done.  I fully understand what you are saying about finding coaches.  It is extremely difficult.

Some suggestions:

1. We send flyers home to every elementary age student throughout our District to recruit kids and Parents.

2. We screen the Parents to make sure they are not wackos BUT welcome anybody who wants to help.

3. Keep in mind that on this level coaches do not need College wrestling experience.  They're teaching the most basic moves and more importantly just trying to get kids involved. 

4. Once Coaches are in place, give them a weekly outline of what you want them to teach,  and poke your head in the room once in a while to offer support.

If you have any questions on how to get a program going or how to promote your program please email me at stanmms@fuse.net  Their are several coaches around the state with 30- 100 kids with great ideas.

And Saturday night, those elementary parents lucky enough to find a hotel room in that hotbed of hotel-dom, Frankfurt KY, will have to deal with all of the High School teams letting off a little steam from a hard fought day at state (which they will all deserve).  Good luck getting your little wrestler who has to battle early Sunday morning to sleep that night!!!!  I can hear you now, "Well, Frankfurt is centrally located so just drive there that morning if you are concerned about Saturday night"  Here's where you are missing the boat..........spending as much time and money as we parents do for wrestling, the (used to be) "traditional" end of tournament Saturday night at state is the reward for everyone to party a little bit for having taken their kids to practice 4 nights a week with one or two matches every weekend for four months.  Honestly, with all the controversy over multiple champs (which I could care less about....they're just kids and I'm not trying to stir that pot) the only thing that makes this tourney any different from any other weekend is getting the heck out of dodge for a night or two to forget about life and enjoy the company of others in the same situation. 

Congrats gang----you single-handedly just turned the state tournament weekend into "just another" tourney.  I doubt we will attend given this schedule, and my son was a state champ last year.  Hope the "amount of publicity would be generated for the Youth programs around the state resulting in more growth" that you stated above is enough to replace the ones you are going to lose. 

One more suggestion.......you want more input at the meetings?  We are tired, we are busy, and we are not driving to Frankfurt or whatever city for a meeting for a kids sport (again, they are just kids----not professionals, right?)  Why not just come up with a list of items that require a vote and then distribute ballots at the state tournament for vote.  If by some chance you get the turnout for '10 that you had in '08 and '09 then you will have so many ballots that it will take you as long to tally votes as it did to calculate the final scores at last year's tournament.  Or, let me jump WAY outside the box......ever heard of an e-meeting? 

I am not a fan of this decision either....its going to be a mad house.

All highschool checking out on Sunday morning and little bittys coming in.

I really do not like it on a Sunday.

Growing the way youth has over the last 3 years says its getting alot of attention already.

I agree I think your going to have more people say NO then yes.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and reserve judgment.  Yes, I can think of a number of issues this creates for many people around the state.  But it also creates some opportunities.  Besides, the decision has been made.  We'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.  I for one will be there to support the tournament and hope it is a success.

It will make for a long weekend, and I agree with some of the points on the negatives, but I can also think of some of the positives...the kids are going to LOVE wrestling at this place.  For any youth parents who have never seen the high school state tournament at Frankfort, I think you will be very impressed.  Are they going to keep the bout system in place that is used for the high school kids?  If so, I think this will be one of the most organized well ran youth tournaments you've ever been to.

One of the reasons we in the western part of the state, start so late is practice space. We don't start with the elementary until the Middle Schools finish their season, otherwise we would be holding practices until 9 p.m. Also the February- March time frame falls between the basketball and baseball seasons. This allows those young athletes a chance to experience our sport.  Again the purpose of elementary wrestling is suppose to get kids involved in the sport not to be able to brag about team state titles.  I know this will fall on deaf ears as the powers that be have made their decision, but that's cool. Those of us in the western part of the state will just hold our own state championship tournament  in March.

Perhaps the elementary regionals should be the Sunday after the middle school state tourney and the elementary state tounament the following Saturday.  This would make it easier on those high school coaches doing both.  Personally for me it's going to be very hard to give my best coaching effort after three long days of high school wrestling.

dates for 2010:

What is the location for both:

Elementary regionals

Elementary state

Perhaps the elementary regionals should be the Sunday after the middle school state tourney and the elementary state tounament the following Saturday.  This would make it easier on those high school coaches doing both.  Personally for me it's going to be very hard to give my best coaching effort after three long days of high school wrestling.

Looks to me like this whole situation needs to be looked at again by the powers that be.

It doesn't look like they got much information from all the coaches or participants.  Where any of these scenarios discussed in the meeting or even brought up? Kylegoldy? Stanmms?

As far as timing goes, I believe that it was put into the Bylaws exactly when the tournament could be held.  I could be wrong but State Duals, Regionals and State tourney were specified.  Please don't blast me if I am wrong.......I have already said that I could be.  Someone can feel free to clarify.

What about this schedule, pretend for this year:

Feb 6- HS Conference/City

Feb 7- Super Bowl

Feb 13- HS Regionals

Feb 14- Elem Conference

Feb 18-20- HS States

Feb 21- MS Regionals

Feb 27- MS States

Feb 26- Elem Regionals

Mar 6- Elem States

Mar 7- lots of rest

As of right now what are the dates for