Sign in to follow this  
Guest cmccoy

Realignment and State Duals Update

Won't anyone spill the beans about what this major proposed change in Kentucky wrestling might be?  Come on, let's at least start speculating early.

That's what blogs are for!!!

The only opinion i have on this is that region 3 needs to be realigned because it is a joke every year so i believe they need better competition in that region

i completely agree i mean i don't mind that my team won the region but i wish we had more contenders and better competition

Won't anyone spill the beans about what this major proposed change in Kentucky wrestling might be?  Come on, let's at least start speculating early.

That's what blogs are for!!!

Hopefully, it is that coaches can legally coach/instruct their wrestlers in the off-season.  In my opinion that is one major change that is needed to continue to improve the quality of wrestling in KY.

Hopefully, it is that coaches can legally coach/instruct their wrestlers in the off-season.  In my opinion that is one major change that is needed to continue to improve the quality of wrestling in KY.

This will never happen, it's a rule for all sports to keep coaches from making off-season practices "mandatory".

Well at tournaments and open mats wrestlers are coached, etc.. but im not a fan of having mandatory off season practice

Guest cmccoy

I really wish I could say more but I have been told not to. Trust me. It is something long awaited and needed for kentucky wrestling.

I'm going to agree with CCMS_SC and go with they are going to allow h.s. coaches coach in the off season.  In some capacity whether it's allowing them to coach FS/GR or just coaching at nationals.  That would be huge if that got passed.

not enough teams i think, no expert though

Well, I know there are plenty of states who have multiple divisions, with 40 or fewer teams in each.  I honestly am opposed to the idea of splitting the state tournament into divisions, but some people will argue that splitting it up will cause the sport to grow because smaller and weaker schools will experience more success.

My response on the new website about state duals:

Could the top 16 teams at the individual state tourney be the 16 that are competing at state duals? Or you could keep taking the top two from each reason but make the criteria how you finish at the individual state tournament as a team.

I think it could and probably should be some form of seeding for the state tourney instead of a blind draw

I think Savage hit it right on the nail.

Region 7 needs to look at how they did their "Super Duals" last year and not do the again!  Every team needs to wrestle each team.  No pool play. 

Region 7 Super Duals format for next season will involve everyone team wrestling every team (no pool play).  With 13 teams in the region, each team will have to wrestle 1 dual prior to the two day super dual tournament.

I don't like the seed the top 8 idea.  Who is going to do the seeding?  Technically we are already seeding the top 8 by placing the first placer from one region against the 4th from another.  Any more than that and it gets into personal bias's or paying extra money to have an out of state person do it. 

I don't like the seed the top 8 idea.  Who is going to do the seeding?  Technically we are already seeding the top 8 by placing the first placer from one region against the 4th from another.  Any more than that and it gets into personal bias's or paying extra money to have an out of state person do it. 

Ever heard of a seeding meeting? You cannot tell me the 8 region champs are the 8 best wrestlers in a weight class. Based on statistics look at it the 8 region champs HARDLY EVERRRRRR become the top 8 placers, it just never happens. The top 8 seeds is a great idea. We already have a pretty good system for seeding at tournaments, WHY NOT THE BIG ONE???? Come on we have to grow and not seeding is just keeping us that much lower. We have several border states that run seeded state tournaments well. HECK even the NCAAS is seeded!! I think it will give this sport something to grow on and actually reward those who wrestle during the season and gives kids something to work for during the season. Take Rangers rankings as a seeding tool, I think we all can pretty much agree Ranger is pretty good with rankings and is very unbiased( Trust me I know where he's from and he puts kids exactly where they need to be based on results) If we worked off of Rangers rankings as the seeding I think it would be pretty easy beside the usual argumentitive coach. I think it's much need and would give the energy of state up a notch.

Ever heard of a seeding meeting? You cannot tell me the 8 region champs are the 8 best wrestlers in a weight class. Based on statistics look at it the 8 region champs HARDLY EVERRRRRR become the top 8 placers, it just never happens. The top 8 seeds is a great idea. We already have a pretty good system for seeding at tournaments, WHY NOT THE BIG ONE???? Come on we have to grow and not seeding is just keeping us that much lower. We have several border states that run seeded state tournaments well. HECK even the NCAAS is seeded!! I think it will give this sport something to grow on and actually reward those who wrestle during the season and gives kids something to work for during the season. Take Rangers rankings as a seeding tool, I think we all can pretty much agree Ranger is pretty good with rankings and is very unbiased( Trust me I know where he's from and he puts kids exactly where they need to be based on results) If we worked off of Rangers rankings as the seeding I think it would be pretty easy beside the usual argumentitive coach. I think it's much need and would give the energy of state up a notch.

Seeding would be great in the obvious cases where like Daniel Thunneman & Harrison Courtney met in the Semis, but the questionable weight classes a lot of these coaches including Ranger do not get a chance to see all the kids from across the state.  So without ever seeing them, how do you even debate a seed?  This has been discussed before on the site, and I guess if there was going to be seeding at state, I'd like to see it done the way they do it in Tennessee where there's a point system predefined.  Someone posted their seeding criteria for their state tournament and it was pretty cool how that was done.  It was weighted somehow like a returning state champ in the same weight class got 10 points, a returning state champ in a different weight got 8 points, a returning state placer might have got 6 points.  If the coaches could do something like that, fine.  But a bunch of h.s. coaches arguing their case to seed the h.s. state tournament, I wouldn't really be in favor of that.  Too many slick moves would go on to position wrestlers for team points.

Seeding would be great in the obvious cases where like Daniel Thunneman & Harrison Courtney met in the Semis, but the questionable weight classes a lot of these coaches including Ranger do not get a chance to see all the kids from across the state.  So without ever seeing them, how do you even debate a seed?  This has been discussed before on the site, and I guess if there was going to be seeding at state, I'd like to see it done the way they do it in Tennessee where there's a point system predefined.  Someone posted their seeding criteria for their state tournament and it was pretty cool how that was done.  It was weighted somehow like a returning state champ in the same weight class got 10 points, a returning state champ in a different weight got 8 points, a returning state placer might have got 6 points.  If the coaches could do something like that, fine.  But a bunch of h.s. coaches arguing their case to seed the h.s. state tournament, I wouldn't really be in favor of that.  Too many slick moves would go on to position wrestlers for team points.

That's fine, have an unbiased committee but one thing that you said is to do like Tennessee. We need to learn from the mistakes of their tournament. The way the bracket is set up if you loose first round the only way you can wrestle back is if the guy who beat you won. I really think this is a flaw in the way that tournament is set up.