Sign in to follow this  
casual fan

Other States...State Tournaments???

Wondering when some bordering state hold their state tournaments?  I think we can learn a lot from some of the bordering states.  We want to catch up and at the very least our KHSAA guys should be picking the brains of some of the high school league guys that are running these tournaments.

Tennessee's was the same week as Kentucky's. It was a 32-man bracket wrestled in two days because they wrestle at UT-Chattanooga were they can lay down 6-8 mats and they seed the tournament. So much for those who say we can't seed the tournament.

Indiana's was last weekend as well.  Their postseason starts 2 weeks before Kentucky has their regionals because to make it to state in Indiana you have to finish high enough at sectional, regional and semi-state, but their state tournament is the same weekend as Kentucky.

in Indiana they take the top four at Regionals and so on.

It's changed a little since I wrestled there, but I believe they take top 4 in sectional, top 3 in regional and top 4 from semi-state.  It used to be top 2 from sectional, top 3 from regional and top 4 from semi-state, but sectionals were much smaller then.

Indiana has a very impressive State Tournament!

Great production, facility, announcer, lighting its really a cool event to attend!

I recommend the Ohio State Tournament to any wrestling fan.  It has the atmosphere almost of the NCAA's with eight mats and three divisions.  Some excellent high school wrestling to boot.  It's held I believe in the St Johns Arena in Columbus, OH on the Ohio State University Campus.

If you attend I also recommend the Arnold Expo which is also in Columbus that weekend.  This is an expo, obviously, where there are bodybuilding competitions, wrestling, grappling and other festive activities going on.  You can also pick up many many free samples of protein powder, which helps you build muscle faster, or get it at a great price.  I went a couple of years ago, the same year I went to the Ohio State Tourney, and it was awesome.

Dragon Master they take the top 4 all the way through. This is the first yearfor this. You can look on IHSAA.

It was also my first time at Conseco. It was awsome.

Tennessee's was the same week as Kentucky's. It was a 32-man bracket wrestled in two days because they wrestle at UT-Chattanooga were they can lay down 6-8 mats and they seed the tournament. So much for those who say we can't seed the tournament.

I couldn't agree more. I'm sure it's been talked about over and over again, but I think its a shame that the KHSAA/coaches won't get together and figure it out. The tournament would be even better than it is.

They moved the Ohio tournament to the Schottenstein Center on Ohio State's campus about 10 years ago. If anything it's an even more impressive production.  It's a 20,000 seat facility that sells out for the finals.  You can usually scalp a ticket from parent's or fans from somebody who has been knocked out.  They start wrestling this Thursday and the finals are on Saturday night.

Nothing against KHSAA State Tournament. Kentucky has come along ways with making our state tournament a great one, I wrestled in Kentucky and was 2X state placer and we have had some great wrestlers come out of our state to go on and wrestle in college. However If you can ever get the opportunity to go to the Ohio High School State Tournament, it is something to see. There is no other state tournament like it. Ohio is broke down into 3 divisions (D1 all the big schools, D2 and D3 these are the smaller schools). In division 1, Cleveland St. Edwards is a national power house, and yes they have dominated this sport in Ohio for many many years, even over St. Paris Graham. Graham did beat St. Eds last year, but overall St. Eds is well known nationally. I believe they have won like 13 straight high school titles in a row and 9 national titles in a row. Don't get me wrong Graham is an outstanding program and Jordan has done wonders for this school. I would love to see Graham at D1. Now that would be an exciting state tournament with them and St. Eds fighting for the title. Also in D3 Troy Christian has been pretty much made a statement at this division. Bottom line is this, the OHIO State tournament is a must see event. A lot of these kids are heavily recruited to wrestle at the NCAA D1 level.

Maple Heights was the team back in my day in Ohio. There were only 2 divisions. Our coach told me if you made it to state, if there were any puds there, chances are it was you. Our state tournament is awesome but, when I tell people here I wrestled my last high school match in front of 15,000 they don't believe it.