Sign in to follow this  
ptwrestling1

Most Outstanding Wrestler

trust me, Davis can wrestle on the mat. He wrestles on the mat with Eastern alumni such as Robert Smith and Richard Brooks every day at practice, as well as his teammates. As far as his matches go, why choose to wrestle your opponents on the mat when you have such a superior advantage at neutral? I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say JD would beat Courtney at the neutral position. Although Courtney definitely would have an extreme edge over davis on the mat.

Justin Davis is good, but lets not get too far ahead of ourselves now.

i don't know the criteria, 1- a power house guy that is supposed to win and indeed does so in an impressive fashion or 2 someone that no one expects to win but goes through all of the contenders and wins. i guess it comes down to a matter of opinion and everyone isn't going to be pleased regardless of the decision.

Then who won in this year's case?  Davis was a returning state champ, so it seems he fits your #1 more than your #2.  To me MOW is a combo of 2 things: your competition and your performance.  Past history and current expectations should have no bearing on it whatsoever.  It should have been Fahy.  His competition was good, although not anywhere near his level, and he was thoroghly dominant.  2nd choice would have been Zarth; his competition was good.  I don't choose Courtney because it seemed like he had no competition, yet he didn't dominate in the same fashion as Fahy.

I think the thought process from most coaches was that 140 was a far more difficult weight class then 103. There are several reasons for this.  Davis had to beat two very good kids (Shotwell and the Union Co. wrestler) . Also 140 is a "middle" weight class and quite frankly there are a lot more athletes there then at 103.  Many schools have a hard time even finding any kid that small and there are very few senior 103 wrestlers.  I thought the 103 field in Ky was very weak this year,  especially for a national level kid like Fahey. Harrison had a so/so match in the finals against a Campbell Co. kid who is not highly ranked and did not even win his region.  Finally the "excitement" factor of a dramatic match convinces alot of coaches 

John Fahy had

Rusch (19th)

Bracco (5th)

Willen (6th)

Paden (3rd)

then Milford (4th)

and destroyed all of them. And Pound for Pound I think the Top 5 at 103 could easily do jsust as well if they were 140s

In terms ofp ure dramatic victory I would give it to Luke Ervin

They picked a senior over a freshman.  The freshman smoked everyone in his weight class.  Awards like this is not a goal to be reached.  It's one that is given to you.  He does what he does he'll get one or two.  One is plenty. 

Justin Davis is good, but lets not get too far ahead of ourselves now.

385 courtney is not a netral wrestler by any means. this isnt saying he is a bad neutral wrestler, but i would have to give the edge to davis, even as much smaller than courtney as he is. i mean look at courtney in the finals, he got taken down by a low ranked kid. two years ago he got taken down and let up all third period by daniel thuenamen. courtney is a mat wrestler, and thats what separates him from the rest of his competition, his finals match proves that. he didnt take a good lead until he got on top.

385 courtney is not a netral wrestler by any means. this isnt saying he is a bad neutral wrestler, but i would have to give the edge to davis, even as much smaller than courtney as he is. i mean look at courtney in the finals, he got taken down by a low ranked kid. two years ago he got taken down and let up all third period by daniel thuenamen. courtney is a mat wrestler, and thats what separates him from the rest of his competition, his finals match proves that. he didnt take a good lead until he got on top.

That was exactly my thinking when I made the comment.

Courtney scores the majority of his points on top yes, but I'm rather confident that he could take down anyone in the state all the way up to 189. He can do whatever he wants. He just got caught napping in the finals this year, and two years ago courtney was not the same wrestler he is today. As I've said before, Thueneman his senior year against Courtney his senior year: Courtney likely would win the take down scenario.

i guess thats why we all have our own opinions. i dont think you are right about him taking anyone down. but we will never know, will we?

Davis, Courtney, and Ervin all wrestled extremely well.  But how could the coaches not vote for Fahy?  Because he's a freshman?  Because he wrestles 103?  Did they see how he dominated everyone?  1st round pin, t-falled Bracco 15-0, t-falled Willen 18-0, beat Paden 14-3, t-falled Milford 15-0 IN THE FINALS.  Did anyone else really wrestle better than that?

i agree, i think Fahy did an outstanding job at state. We probably have a four timer on our hands with this guy. And he most likely would have been a six timer if he had wrestled in highschool 7th and 8th grade years

beaten**

Yes he would. People forget that Dan Smith beat Jarvis. I've seen Fahy and Smith wrerstle and I conclude Fahy would pin Jarvis if they are within 10 pounds of each other.

Yes he would. People forget that Dan Smith beat Jarvis. I've seen Fahy and Smith wrerstle and I conclude Fahy would pin Jarvis if they are within 10 pounds of each other.

no way. jarvis would win, but then again fahy is young and will end up being better than jarvis.

my question is who is better between bradbury and fahy, i mean who can beat who?

no way. jarvis would win, but then again fahy is young and will end up being better than jarvis.

my question is who is better between bradbury and fahy, i mean who can beat who?

Totally redundant, you said Fahy will end up being better than Jarvis, who beat Myron Bradbury in in the finals at 103 last year, then asked who is better between Bradbury and Fahy. But anywho, I would say that if the two of them met at 112 Bradbury would win, as of right now.

courtney is alot better on the mat but that does not make a bad neutral wrestler, he is still very good at neutral he may not be the best in the state but he is still good from neutral

thats exactly why i said "that doesnt mean he is a bad neutral wrestler...". i just think davis would tear courtney up on their feet, even with courtneys weight advantage. i guess we will never know though.

thats exactly why i said "that doesnt mean he is a bad neutral wrestler...". i just think davis would tear courtney up on their feet, even with courtneys weight advantage. i guess we will never know though.

ya when i said that doesnt mean he is a bad neutral wrestler i was agreeing with you but yes davis could probably beat courtney on his feet. courtney is a beast at neutral but he might not be as beastly at justin davis. i would really like to see them wrestle in the off-season or possibly in college sometime

perhaps in some freestyle/greco roman USA wrestling? maybe the two of them will go to fargo?

perhaps in some freestyle/greco roman USA wrestling? maybe the two of them will go to fargo?

i think davis might be able to beat courtney in freestyle possibly cause its alot about your abilities at neutral