Sign in to follow this  
NOHS_wrestling

Help me with an Article for WrestlingUSA- Best teams in last decade

larue is one of the smaller schools but just look at this:

team state championships= 1999, 2001, 2006, 2007

individual state champions= darwin perez, ozzie parker, scott cooper x2, todd alan, jason detre x2

college all americans= todd alan 3rd and 8th

high school all americans= jason detre, todd alan, scott cooper

singl a state championships= 2001, 2002, 2005

for more stats=  http://www.angelfire.com/ky2/laruewrestle/hllfame.html

larue is one of the smaller schools but just look at this:

team state championships= 1999, 2001, 2006, 2007

individual state champions= darwin perez, ozzie parker, scott cooper x2, todd alan, jason detre x2

college all americans= todd alan 3rd and 8th

high school all americans= jason detre, todd alan, scott cooper

singl a state championships= 2001, 2002, 2005

for more stats=  http://www.angelfire.com/ky2/laruewrestle/hllfame.html

Woodford won in 99, bud.

He is referring to state duals, which LaRue kind of won in 99.  Kelby Cassity had their heavy pinned and the ref refused to call it.  Because of this confusion it should not be called a team state championship but rather state dual champions.  Also the small school state championships should be done away with, the state is not big enough to have multiple state champions.

He is referring to state duals, which LaRue kind of won in 99.  Kelby Cassity had their heavy pinned and the ref refused to call it.  Because of this confusion it should not be called a team state championship but rather state dual champions.  Also the small school state championships should be done away with, the state is not big enough to have multiple state champions.

Oh come on.  I get a good laugh now that Union has been winning and we get to crown a "large school team state champ".

I can tell you when Woodford got 2nd two years ago the coaches didn't even want the trophy for large school state champions, but they did appreciate the 2nd place trophy.  It's a consolatory prize.  If they had two different tournaments (large and small school) then I could see the two different champions but they don't and they shouldn't.  Kentucky wrestling is not big enough to support two.

Any helpful, non-antagonistic, constructive comments would be appreciated.  My intent as state editor is to be the best I can to continue to help grow our sport in the Commenwealth.

Not to rehash, but jpizar is dead-on when he says "Larue kinda won." That ref (who will remain nameless) was scheduled to be the ref for the semis b/t Woodford and Campbell Co. but Parks stepped in and said he wasn't allowed to ref b/c his son was on CamCo. (JV, I think). which INFURIATED the ref. He made a big scene and they didn't allow him to ref that dual. In the finals b/t Larue and Woodford guess who was the ref?  Yep, same dude and he took it out on Woodford, big time. Bad calls the entire time, worse of which was the HWT match jpizar refers to.  If I remember correctly that ref was not allowed to ref the state tourney that yr b/c of his actions.

Still, though. Props to Larue for winning state duals in 99. Did I mention 2 timer Josh Whitaker was injured that day?

Yeah, it still bugs me if you can't tell.

Just to clarify the 99 Larue/Woodford dual at state duals was the semi match. Also another ref, not the one on the mat, walked out and told the ref to stop the HWt match because Woodford had an illegal headlock(no arm). Because the other ref stepped on the mat is why the pin was not called. As a result the Larue hwt legally pinned the Woodford Hwt.

I forgot to mention that if Whitaker had of wrestled that day at 215 Larue still would have won. If I remember correctly and I believe I am, Parks in his infinite wisdom bumped up his starting 189 to avoid Detre. Detre pins the backup. Woodfords 189 majored Larues 215. Larues hwt pins Woodfords. I think Woodford ended up losing by 11 or 12. So if Woodfords starting 189 is still in lineup Detre still pins him, Whitaker pins at 215 Woodford only gains 2 pts. Still lose.

Am I wrong?

"Am I wrong"

Yes, the dual was within 3 points going in to the HWT bout.

And Kevin Gray (189) didn't get stuck once all yr and would not have been stuck by Detre.  Whitaker definately would've stuck the Larue 215 (pinned every opp. but 3 that yr and held the national record for pins in a season as a junior).

But you're right about it being in the semis...I forgot that CampCo. was in Woodford's pool and that was the dual where the ref was removed. You're not arguing that happened, right?

And this never happened:

"Also another ref, not the one on the mat, walked out and told the ref to stop the HWt match because Woodford had an illegal headlock(no arm). Because the other ref stepped on the mat is why the pin was not called."

The match was never stopped.

No the dual was 6 points going into the finals match because larue ended up winning by 38-27, confirmed with a member on that team. 11 pt win was after Larue was penalized a team point for celebration. I will see if I can get the tape showing were the other ref stepped on the mat and post it on youtube or something.

And Detre would have crushed Gray within first period.

Gray was pinned at least once during that year. Oh yeah, he defaulted to Detre in the second round of State Tourney without stepping on the mat. Wrestled another match, then was pinned in 2nd period by Schetler. So what does that mean.

Detre definitely wouldn't have crushed Gray in the first period or at any point in the match.  The reason he didn't step on the mat at state was because he broke his ankle in the first round and the coaches decided instead of injuring it further in a tough match with Detre to default and try to place through the wrestle-backs, which didn't work.  By the way Gray beat John Paul Wilkinson from Henry Clay earlier that year, which is who Detre beat in the state finals in a fairly close match if I recall.

Cassity had the LaRue heavy in a cradle.  If you've ever seen a heavyweight in a cradle you will concur that it is very difficult for them to get out.  By the way KYGrappler it still bugs me too.

Isn't this all kind of irreverent to the article?

Yes but a conversation about Woodford and LaRue, no matter the specific topic, is always good for fireworks.

Not to rehash, but jpizar is dead-on when he says "Larue kinda won." That ref (who will remain nameless) was scheduled to be the ref for the semis b/t Woodford and Campbell Co. but Parks stepped in and said he wasn't allowed to ref b/c his son was on CamCo. (JV, I think). which INFURIATED the ref. He made a big scene and they didn't allow him to ref that dual. In the finals b/t Larue and Woodford guess who was the ref?  Yep, same dude and he took it out on Woodford, big time. Bad calls the entire time, worse of which was the HWT match jpizar refers to.  If I remember correctly that ref was not allowed to ref the state tourney that yr b/c of his actions.

Still, though. Props to Larue for winning state duals in 99. Did I mention 2 timer Josh Whitaker was injured that day?

Yeah, it still bugs me if you can't tell.

Back in the day, Woodford had their hometown ref - Gene Washington.  He had a nephew who wrestled for WC.  Kind of ironic how things work out.  The rest of the state used to think Washington should not be allowed to ref in critical matches down state involving woodford.  I doubt Parks or Carr complained much then.

Coach Fulk, below is some info that could be useful in your article.  Are you trying to rank the best programs over the past 10 years or the best single season teams (i.e. 1) Woodford County or 1) 2002 Woodford County)?  I stopped counting state champs/placers, etc before 2001 because the khsaa website used a different format and it wasn't easy to find without going through the brackets.  If anyone wants to help fill in some of these gaps, please do so.

I'd rank the single season teams in this order:

1) 2003 South Oldham

2) 2006 Woodford County

3) 2002 Woodford County

4) 2004 Campbell County

5) 2008 Union County

6) 1998 St. Xavier

7) 2001 St. Xavier

8) 1999 Woodford County

9) 2007 Union County

10) 2000 Woodford County

2008 Union County

Team Score - 202

Margin of Victory - 34 pts (Ryle Runner up - 168)

# of champions - 2

# of placers - 10

# of qualifiers - 13

Season record -

2007 Union County

Team Score - 148

Margin of Victory - 8 pts (Woodford 140)

# of champions - 1

# of placers - 8

# of qualifiers - 12

Season record -

2006 Woodford County

Team Score - 230

Margin of Victory - 64 pts (South Oldham 166)

# of champions - 5

# of placers - 8

# of qualifiers - 13

Season record -

2005 Woodford County

Team Score - 183.5

Margin of Victory - 45 pts (Larue County/Ryle 138.5)

# of champions - 1

# of placers - 7

# of qualifiers - 14

Season record -

2004 Campbell County

Team Score - 234.00

Margin of Victory - 65.5 (Woodford County)

# of champions - 2

# of placers - 9

# of qualifiers - 14

Season record -

2003 South Oldham

Team Score - 257.5

Margin of Victory - 72.5 (Campbell County 185)

# of champions - 2

# of placers - 13

# of qualifiers - 14

Season record -

2002 Woodford County

Team Score - 233.5

Margin of Victory - 70.5 (Campbell)

# of champions - 2

# of placers - 11

# of qualifiers - 14

Season record -

2001 St Xavier

Team Score - 158.5

Margin of Victory - 34.5 (Larue)

# of champions

# of placers

# of qualifiers - 14

Season record -

2000 Woodford County

Team Score - 145.5

Margin of Victory - 2.5 (St. Xavier)

# of champions

# of placers

# of qualifiers

Season record -

1999 Woodford County

Team Score - 157.5

Margin of Victory - 46.5 (St. Xavier)

# of champions

# of placers

# of qualifiers

Season record -

1998 St. Xavier

Team Score - 161.00

Margin of Victory - 14.5 (Scott)

# of champions

# of placers

# of qualifiers

Season record -

Good luck with the article.

bigboss: Obviously we disagree on what transpired at state duals, so lets just agree to disagree on this one.

Larue had a heckuva team that yr, probably the best they've ever had. They stepped up at State Duals big time and took the crown.

But it should be noted that KGray did break his ankle at state and that was the reason for his default to Detre (which totally KILLED him, but it was a coach/trainer decision). Without that injury Gray places top 4, easy.

Detre definitely wouldn't have crushed Gray in the first period or at any point in the match.  The reason he didn't step on the mat at state was because he broke his ankle in the first round and the coaches decided instead of injuring it further in a tough match with Detre to default and try to place through the wrestle-backs, which didn't work.  By the way Gray beat John Paul Wilkinson from Henry Clay earlier that year, which is who Detre beat in the state finals in a fairly close match if I recall.

Cassity had the LaRue heavy in a cradle.  If you've ever seen a heavyweight in a cradle you will concur that it is very difficult for them to get out.  By the way KYGrappler it still bugs me too.

I believe detre pinned gray every time they wrestled, also the finals was not that close detre put wilkinson on his back in the 1st (pretty sure he was stuck), every other point was given to wilkinson, that match was not close.  On another point Jack LaRue who placed 5th the year before, did not make it out of region.  If LaRue places in 99, then the individual state tournamnet would have been a different story.  If you talking about great dual teams, the LaRue 99 team would have to be in there.

if woodford was so good why didnt they win in 99 and by the way the heavyweight was not pinned i have the match on film and have watched it at least 20 times

allthough i think larue won in 99 the best teams in the last decade are as follows:

#1-woodford

#2-larue

#3-trinity

#4-union

#5-campbell

#6-ryle

#7-south oldham

not boone county "matrat"

if woodford was so good why didnt they win in 99 and by the way the heavyweight was not pinned i have the match on film and have watched it at least 20 times

allthough i think larue won in 99 the best teams in the last decade are as follows:

#1-woodford

#2-larue

#3-trinity

#4-union

#5-campbell

#6-ryle

#7-south oldham

not boone county "matrat"

south oldham 7th? THEY HAD 13 PLACERS, if thats not a shoe in for the best team in the last decade, if not one of the best teams in kentuckys history, i dont know what is. how many other teams...ever, have had that many placers or more? can anyone answer that for me?

Based on that, here are my thoughts:

Best programs (since 2000, that's the data I have) - #1 is hands down Woodford.  They have scored 30% more points than any other team in the state over this period.  They have 4 state titles, 2 runner ups, and 3 thirds over those 9 seasons.  Add to that 21 individual state champs.  #2 I give to Larue because of their consistency near the top and their dual meet prowess.  Although they haven't been able to win a team championship, their average finish since 2000 is 5th.  #3 I will go with Ryle right now.  Again, they haven't pulled out a title, but average a 7th place finish and have produced 9 individual state champs (second to Woodford).  A close #4 and #5 are Campbell County (avg finish of 6 with 4 ind state champs) and South Oldham (avg finish of 9 with 8 ind state champs).

New to the pack (I'm thinking of teams new to challenging for the title):  #1 is definitely Union (2 time defending state champs, enough said).  #2 is Trinity (see expected results over the next couple years).  #3 I don't know.

Up and coming programs (completely new to the big boy scene):  #1 is John Hardin.  #2 Tates Creek.  #3 North Oldham.

Everyone loves to hate Woodford.

We love to be the bad guys haha. (Woodford)

Union will continue to be as tough program.  The middle school club program has won 3 straight State titles and 2 (consecutive) State Duals titles. The Middle School team just keeps growing much to the credit of the Head Coach, Brad Hagedorn (was just named Coach of the Year for 3rd straight year).  He has only been coaching for 4 years.