Sign in to follow this  
RYLE RAIDERS

RUSCHELL NOW IN THE FINALS AT MIDLANDS

Watch Kyle Ruschell in the FINALS of the Midlands Wrestling Championships on the Big Ten Network Tonight at 800pm EST. KYLE FROM RYLE will take on #1 seed and defending NCAA CHAMPION BRENT METCALF in the 149 lb Finals. Kyle was down by a score of 10-4 in his Semifinal Match vs the # 2 seeded Purdue Wrestler and was able to pin him to advance to the finals. Good Luck to Kyle!!!!!! 

I don't know about a league of his own, if I remember correctly the "Purdue wrestler" was beating Kyle 10-4 prior to getting caught.  Metcalf was just smart enough not to get caught.  Maybe the "Purdue wrestler" will learn from his mistake and will be able to wrestle Metcalf next time.

Many due believe Metcalf is in a league of his own.  The talk in Iowa last week was that he may be one of the best wrestlers ever to wrestle at Iowa.  Not saying he can't be beat, but to be regarded in such a high esteem is saying a lot.

I haven't seen Metcalf wrestle that much, but I have heard a lot of knowledgable people make the statement that he is in a league of his own.  But look at these stats and decide for yourself:

High school record of 228-0 (156 pins) and 4-time state champ in Michigan.  Won multiple junior national championships.

Lost season due to transfer from Virginia Tech.  As a sophomore went 35-1 and won national championship at 149 lbs including the Dan Hodge award.  This season he is 16-0 (7 pins and 4 techs).  I believe his one loss was to Caldwell (got caught) who he has teched a couple times over the last 2 seasons.

Sounds like he has a handle on the 149 class to me.

This guy is a machine.  Very impressive, solid, smooth.  Having the coaching staff and workout partners in the Iowa wrestling room doesn't hurt either.  No doubt an intimidating opponent to meet center mat.  Caldwell caught him in a spradle (Caldwell also caught Ruschell in one too)... otherwise no one has come close.  Ruschell should see Metcalf two more times before Big Tens... sounds like a tough road ahead.  Stay solid Kyle!

He is a machine.  Here is his 1 loss last year.  Got caught in a spladle.  I'm no ref but I thought your shoulders had to be on the mat for a pin.  Maybe someone could clear that up for me.  Anyway, back to the original post.  Great job, Kyle! You are a pioneer for Kentucky wrestling.

He is a machine.  Here is his 1 loss last year.  Got caught in a spladle.  I'm no ref but I thought your shoulders had to be on the mat for a pin.  Maybe someone could clear that up for me.  Anyway, back to the original post.  Great job, Kyle! You are a pioneer for Kentucky wrestling.

Yeah I agree, I really see no way that he could have had his shoulders on the mat.  They were clearly resting on Caldwell.  This might of been a blessing in disquise for Metcalf, hes been dominating ever since.

I got to see Metcalfe last year firsthand at the national tournament and he was in a league of his own. He was so much bigger than any of the other 149 pounders and never stops moving. When his opponent would back up, he would push into him. When they would move to a side, he would move with them and keep pushing back into him. When he won in the finals he didn't make a big scene like everyone else, it was just like another regular match to him. He is a beast!

Yeah I agree, I really see no way that he could have had his shoulders on the mat.  They were clearly resting on Caldwell.  This might of been a blessing in disguise for Metcalf, hes been dominating ever since.

I believe the rule is your shoulders have to both be touching but it doesn't really mean the mat necessarily. I saw a match at the beast of the east in the upper weight finals where the Blair Academy kid got pinned the same way.

I believe the rule is your shoulders have to both be touching but it doesn't really mean the mat necessarily. I saw a match at the beast of the east in the upper weight finals where the Blair Academy kid got pinned the same way.

You have to go to the link to see Illustration #2, he was pinned.

Official NCAA Wrestling Rules

End of Match

2.12 Fall

Any part of both shoulders or part of both scapulae (For pinning area, see

Illustration No. 2.) of either wrestler held in contact with the mat for one

second constitutes a fall. The one-second count (one-thousand-one) shall be a

silent count by the referee and shall start only after the referee is in position

to observe that a fall is imminent, after which the shoulders or scapulae area

must be held in continuous contact with the mat for one second before a fall

is awarded.

Link for rules:

http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uploads/PDF/Wrestling_Rules_9_206890d73-685b-4c37-9ff9-c3d82a9f4942.pdf

Davision has been a tough Division I school in Michigan (I believe the Warner brothers of Oldham came from there).  I didn't look up Metcalf, but it does sound like he is a pretty good wrestler.  If he was in such another league, I wonder where he was during our recent Olympics?  Only returning 1 medal isn't what the US typically does.  Very low year.  Maybe he is waiting until he is out of college.  Not a bad choice considering he probably has a scholarship on the line should he be injured.

Metcalf wrestled at the Olympic Trials last year and placed fifth I believe.  He is trying to make the World Team next year as well.  By the way the Olympian this year was one of his coaches (Doug Schwab, NCAA Champ, Finalist 3x) and the person who beat him in the Olympic Trials is also one of his coaches (Jared Frayer, NCAA Finalist).  Metcalf is in a league of his own, Hodge Trophy winner (the Heisman in wrestling), Big Ten Wrestler of the Year, Big Ten Athlete of the Year (this includes all NCAA sports, not just wrestling).  Click on the link below to watch his NCAA finals match and interview afterwards.  By the way, his opponent Bubba Jenkins was a Junior World Champion in freestyle in 07.

NCAA finals match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWw2B9ycV2o&feature=related

Press conference after the match

http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/speaker/239-brent-metcalf/11701-metcalf-after-finals

Our prime years are between 18 & 25.  Are Metcalf's coaches in that age range?  Probably not.  Someone in that age range should be upset to lose to someone outside of that age range.  We all know that 90% of wrestling is in our head.  However, if you no longer have a body that can endure, you can no longer compete.  Not to mention that our college wrestlers should have the 90%.  Maybe Metcalf is in a league of his own with current day college wrestlers, but our talent may be in a valley.

grapplehed - you mentioned once what the prime years for a wrestler was.  I thought it was higher than 18-25.  more like 25-30??

Not very feasible as male physical, mental, and sexual primes are all earlier.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_do_men_reach_their_physical_prime

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080401095955AA4uBZj

And it is now fairly well known that brain cropping is completed at about the age of 25.

Seems to me that 18-25 is much more feasible.

Not very feasible as male physical, mental, and sexual primes are all earlier.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_do_men_reach_their_physical_prime

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080401095955AA4uBZj

And it is now fairly well known that brain cropping is completed at about the age of 25.

Seems to me that 18-25 is much more feasible.

Wrestling performance is not just based on physical prime.  There is a factor of accumulated knowledge as well.  If you look at the average ages of both Olympic and World level wrestlers you will see that it is definitely beyond 18-25.  I would agree with pioneer-pride that 25-30 is more accurate, maybe even into the early 30's at the International level.  Cejudo won a gold medal at the Olympics this year at the age of 21 and he was the youngest ever from the US.  Many world class wrestlers such as Satiev from Russia, etc are winning world and olympic titiles well into there 30's.  No way some 18 year old kid just out of high school or 20 year old still in college would even come close to these guys.

Our prime years are between 18 & 25.  Are Metcalf's coaches in that age range?  Probably not.  Someone in that age range should be upset to lose to someone outside of that age range.  We all know that 90% of wrestling is in our head.  However, if you no longer have a body that can endure, you can no longer compete.  Not to mention that our college wrestlers should have the 90%.  Maybe Metcalf is in a league of his own with current day college wrestlers, but our talent may be in a valley.

This explains why our Olympians this past year were on average probably 5 years out of college?  Two reasons explain this, one is that most wrestlers go to college and get their education where they focus on folkstyle and then have to make the switch to freestyle where their are different rules, scoring, strategy, etc.  The second is that most of our bodies don't peak physically until we are 25-30.  Have you never wrestled someone this age before?  By this time they have acquired their "man strength".  Don't ask me to explain that because I'm not a doctor.  However I have heard many talk of this and I believe it because in college I wrestled some people who were no longer training but still kicked my butt because they were so damn strong but not that big at all.  Can any other old folks second this "man strength"?

My uncle beats me at arm wrestling and he is not near as big as me and cant lift as much as me. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I think that is the MAN strength you speak of. lol

1.  Accumulated knowlege is fine, but most of our best wrestlers (Cal Sanderson is one easy one) have wrestled since they were around 5 years of age.  Plenty of accumulated knowledge by the time they are 23.

2.  Man strength is just the strength to say I would rather die than give in to some dumb punk kid!

3.  Great wrestlers participate in all wrestling styles - Freestyle, Greco, Folkstyle, Sombo, Ju-Jitsu, etc...  Therefore, there is no changeover issue.

I know many individuals that I used to wrestle with and against that would walk off from one mat wrestling Freestyle onto another and wrestle a match of Greco, and sometimes then immediately on to a third mat and wrestled Sombo or Folkstyle.  You just had to have the rules understood and your body just automatically adjusts.

According to:  http://curbywrestling.com/pdf/AgesofOlympicWrestlingChampions.pdf

"The average age of all Olympic wrestling champions is 26.79 years. The freestyle average age is

26.42 and for Greco-Roman is 27.15. There are no dramatic trends apparent. The champions in

Athens were a bit younger than the style average: Greco-Roman-24.38, Freestyle-25.21 and

Women-20.88."

The only reason these ages are slightly later than the range I posted (18-25) is because 1.  Olympics only happens every 4 years.  2.  They typically freak out the first time they go to a large event such as the Olympics or Worlds.

Not sure but I think 27 is between 25-30.

Olympic ages would be no different than the ages of the World Teams the other 3 years.

Cael was 25 when he won gold in Athens.

Not sure, but maybe someone needs to read everything before they respond.

Step 1.  Read all of what I wrote

Step 2.  Read all of the article I posted.

Then, if deemed appropriate, Step 3.  Reply.