Sign in to follow this  
Cmlswrstlng

NKAC

So the second day of a tourney doesn't count as a weigh in.  However the Nkac and the classic are not day one and day two they are two separate events.  So if varsity is allowed 17 weigh ins,  the nkac counts as one and the classic counts as one.  Unless they took their jv team to the classic.  I am going to pose this question to the khsaa next week.

So the second day of a tourney doesn't count as a weigh in.  However the Nkac and the classic are not day one and day two they are two separate events.  So if varsity is allowed 17 weigh ins,  the nkac counts as one and the classic counts as one.  Unless they took their jv team to the classic.  I am going to pose this question to the khsaa next week.

Have an issue with Ryle?  Are you posing the question as a result of this situation?  Yes, I am pretty confident that this would count as 2 weigh ins.  But, it has alreay been pointed out that there are only 11 weekends in the season.  I don't have contact with them, but I'm sure the staff at Ryle considered this when setting up their schedule.

Maybe you should stomp your feet and DEMAND an answer.  That always works for me. 

I am not an expert on the NKAC rules and will not claim to be.  I am a Ryle parent and I take offense to your claim of Ryle arrongance.  I am proud to be associated with this team and proud of our coaching staff.   Some of the finest in the state.  Our team has 2 tournaments on weekend several times throughout the season.  This is why we have 30-40 kids on our team......year after year.  They ALL get a chance to wrestle in tournaments.   I can assure you that there was no arrogance or "snub" to you or the wrestling community intended.

Being an raider wrestling parent a few years back, I totally agree.  I know that the coach just wants what is best for the kids.

Have an issue with Ryle?  Are you posing the question as a result of this situation?  Yes, I am pretty confident that this would count as 2 weigh ins.  But, it has alreay been pointed out that there are only 11 weekends in the season.  I don't have contact with them, but I'm sure the staff at Ryle considered this when setting up their schedule.

It's a rule thing, not a Ryle thing.  I realize that there are 11 weekends in the season, there are also 11 Wednesdays, 11 Thursdays and so on.  A dual on Wednesday counts as a weigh-in, the same as a tournament I believe.  So when you pack a schedule the way most teams do, to add another tournament or dual or whatever usually doesn't work(too many points). 

It's a rule thing, not a Ryle thing.  I realize that there are 11 weekends in the season, there are also 11 Wednesdays, 11 Thursdays and so on.  A dual on Wednesday counts as a weigh-in, the same as a tournament I believe.  So when you pack a schedule the way most teams do, to add another tournament or dual or whatever usually doesn't work(too many points). 

I haven't seen their schedule, but I know a lot of teams are limiting their weekday events.  You can only reasonably get in 2 or 3 matches on a week night, so it seems most everyone is maximizing their Saturdays with 5 duals or at least a pool tournament, and sometimes adding a Friday night so the kids are essentially only making weight once per week.

It sounds like you may be on to something.  But what's the big deal?  I mean if a kid wrestled on a friday and got beat out in the swoca, and went to a tournament their other team was at to wrestle (nkac)...to try and report something like that seems petty to me.  More like a technicality then something truly malicious.  I know people will say rules are rules, but it sounds like they had some kids that wanted to wrestle on Saturday, good for them. 

Maybe i don't have the right perspective, but I have never understood the ratioale behind the point system.  I didn't know Ky had a point system until it popped up in this discussion.

It sounds like you may be on to something.  But what's the big deal?  I mean if a kid wrestled on a friday and got beat out in the swoca, and went to a tournament their other team was at to wrestle (nkac)...to try and report something like that seems petty to me.  More like a technicality then something truly malicious.  I know people will say rules are rules, but it sounds like they had some kids that wanted to wrestle on Saturday, good for them. 

Maybe i don't have the right perspective, but I have never understood the ratioale behind the point system.  I didn't know Ky had a point system until it popped up in this discussion.

I think the point system is to keep everyone on as level a playing field as possible.  The teams with the resources and numbers could be sending multiple teams out to every tournament going on every Saturday.  Then they have a number of kids at each weight with a lot of experience.  An injury or eligibility issue comes up and there is another "varsity" kid to slide into the lineup.  The small teams or teams without the funds or coaching help can't do the same.  The second stringers should be competing mostly at JV events.

I only posed the question about what the rule states.  I would be a shame for a kid to miss out on something later in the season because of some technicality.  I am not completely clear on the point system in ky, it is different than in oh, which I am sure is different than pa and so on.

I only posed the question about what the rule states.  It would be a shame for a kid to miss out on something later in the season because of some technicality.    I am not completely clear on the point system in ky, it is different than in oh, which I am sure is different than pa and so on.

I see what you're saying, that's a good point and i agree with you there.

I think the point system is to keep everyone on as level a playing field as possible.  The teams with the resources and numbers could be sending multiple teams out to every tournament going on every Saturday.  Then they have a number of kids at each weight with a lot of experience.  An injury or eligibility issue comes up and there is another "varsity" kid to slide into the lineup.  The small teams or teams without the funds or coaching help can't do the same.  The second stringers should be competing mostly at JV events.

That's what I thought it was for, and that's what I don't like about it.  I think we've discussed this in the past.  But it seems like this is the type of rule that will only hold our state back and therefore hurt our kids.  Our state is good for this i think.  For example, in Ohio I believe their h.s. coaches can coach in the off season by coaching freestyle/greco where as in Kentucky we are prohibited.  In that case, we are screwing our own kids.  If a team has the resources/support to go to 2 tournaments on 1 weekend then I say that's great for them and great for our state.  As long as everyone is allowed to do this.  Not every school will support their team in such a way, that's a shame, but why hold the whole state back because of that?  Am I right or am I right Ranger?

That's what I thought it was for, and that's what I don't like about it.  I think we've discussed this in the past.  But it seems like this is the type of rule that will only hold our state back and therefore hurt our kids.  Our state is good for this i think.  For example, in Ohio I believe their h.s. coaches can coach in the off season by coaching freestyle/greco where as in Kentucky we are prohibited.  In that case, we are screwing our own kids.  If a team has the resources/support to go to 2 tournaments on 1 weekend then I say that's great for them and great for our state.  As long as everyone is allowed to do this.  Not every school will support their team in such a way, that's a shame, but why hold the whole state back because of that?  Am I right or am I right Ranger?

Yeah, I guess you are right, but every state has this type of restriction.  And from what I hear our 17 is pretty generous.  I'm sure there are other rationales behind it as well.  Like safety; not wrestling kids in 200 matches per season.  Regarding the off season coaching, I think there is a strong movement under way to get that fixed.  I have heard from some of the top coaches who are working to get that situation resolved.

Yeah, I guess you are right, but every state has this type of restriction.  And from what I hear our 17 is pretty generous.  I'm sure there are other rationales behind it as well.  Like safety; not wrestling kids in 200 matches per

season.  

That sounds reasonable.

Regarding the off season coaching, I think there is a strong movement under way to get that fixed.  I have heard from some of the top coaches who are working to get that situation resolved.

That's pretty sweet.

I would like to see Ryle attend the state duals. Undoubtedly, they are one of the top 2 teams in Northern Ky. I spoke with Coach Ruschell over the weekend, they had applied for SWOCA 3 years in a row and finally got accepted. If he declined, Ryle never would have been allowed to attend in the future. Personally, I think he made the right decision. I have seen a tremendous decline in the quality of Northern Ky wrestling over the last several years. Although each school outside of Ryle and CC have a few isolated good kids, the overall depth and competition is down, as it relates to overall team strength and depth.

Ryle is now at the mercy of Simon Kenton's Coach as to which team will be attending the state duals. I believe Ryle has a very legitimate chance of winning state duals if they attend. Simon Kenton has some very tough kids in their line up and they may want to see the state dual competition.  The NKAC collectively decided the top teams in the NKAC tournament attend state duals. Simon Kenton has earned the spot.

Ryle has a top notched Kentucky program. For those of you who feel snubbed, too bad. I don't think Ruschell is arrogant, he's hard core. There is a difference. He is trying and succeeding in making Ryle one of the best teams in Ky.

Well Said "I pinned em all except me".  The coaches classic is definitely a top tier tournament, where several college coaches were in attendance. There are many teams that cannot get accepted, definitely a risky move. However, not all teams accepted go to the state duals, so there is a chance they will get in.

I don't voice my opinion very much on this forum.

If Ryle chose to go to a tournament in Ohio and bypass the qualifier for state duals in their region, They should not be in state duals.  Maybe they thought they would still qualify.

If it was for making their program better, we as a state are heading in the right direction.

"except me",  Only because we because we never shook hands on the mat!  But it's not too late!

2 man enter....1 man leave....2 man enter....1 man leave. 

VisionQuest - I'm sure the Ryle coaches thought there was a chance they would not qualify for the state duals when they chose to go to swoca, and they're probably fine with the consequences.  I gotta admire the coaches at Ryle and how they put their kids success above team accolades.  Like grapplehed said, there were college scouts there and if their kids knocked off a highly ranked kid that would really open doors.  I believe there's a kid from Elder that was there ranked #1 in the nation at 215 (Orlando Scales).  You never know when a guy scouting that kid sees a kid from your team. 

"I'm sure the Ryle coaches thought there was a chance they would not qualify for the state duals when they chose to go to swoca, and they're probably fine with the consequences.  I gotta admire the coaches at Ryle and how they put their kids success above team accolades.  Like grapplehed said, there were college scouts there and if their kids knocked off a highly ranked kid that would really open doors."

I think I stated that in less words..

I also think they made the right decision to make their team better.

you will have to get down to my weight old man! I will have to check with my heart doctor first, he may not advise to such rigorous activity.

Somebody's already makin excuses, check with your doctor is he your tag team partner?

So when is this match taking place?

I have seen a tremendous decline in the quality of Northern Ky wrestling over the last several years. Although each school outside of Ryle and CC have a few isolated good kids, the overall depth and competition is down, as it relates to overall team strength and depth.

The NKAC collectively decided the top teams in the NKAC tournament attend state duals. Simon Kenton has earned the spot.

Ryle has a top notched Kentucky program. For those of you who feel snubbed, too bad. I don't think Ruschell is arrogant, he's hard core. There is a difference. He is trying and succeeding in making Ryle one of the best teams in Ky.

IPEA-

You are correct that the overall TEAM competition has diminished in NK.  However, as you know, this tourney was not always set up this way.  The old individual tourney would still be competitive.  We can see this by looking at Rangers rankings.  Ever since the NKy teams decided to make this a dual tourney it has gone down hill.  In my opinion the best format was when they had an individual pool tourney.  (I believe they did this for a few years before moving to the dual format).

My question is this.  Will this be the end of the NKAC?  Who will not attend next year?  Ryle may have started something that can't be stopped.  Like B-L said.  He tried to not attend but was told he really can't.  I'm sure other coaches have thought the same way over the years.

Arrogant or hard core.  I guess it depends on your definition.  Being a Campbell Co. wrestler I believe in the Bankemper way.  He understands that to make your team competitive you must make the teams around you competitive.  Coach B. would and probably still will help any team in Nky if not the state, to become more competitive.  The NKAC helps in this cause.  By allowing the smaller programs in Nky to compete with the likes of Campbell, Ryle and in the past Conner and Simon Kenton it helps develop their programs.  Once again we can see the corelation between the competitiveness of the lower tier schools with the change in the format of the NKAC.  

If the Ryle coaches believe that they should or will still get to attend the KENTUCKY state duals then I call their actions arrogant.  If they don't believe this then I would call him hard core, because he sacrificed his team for the few top tier wrestlers in his program.  

You're missing the point as to why Ryle wen't to the SWOWCA toournament.  They did not go to showcase a few kids.  They went to find the toughest competitiion for all of theit kids because that's what makes them better.  That's why they went to the Dayton tournament the next week, then St. X. (ohio) the next week then Bellbrook (Ohio) the week after that

you will have to get down to my weight old man! I will have to check with my heart doctor first, he may not advise to such rigorous activity.

Your doctor would tell you shaking my hand on the mat is ill advised, it would be hazardous to your health.

Your doctor would tell you shaking my hand on the mat is ill advised, it would be hazardous to your health.

Listen to him here Grapplehed, you get caught under his girth on a double leg, your back will never be the same.