Sign in to follow this  
Cmlswrstlng

NKAC

Does anyone have any team or individual results

I only have a few.

Team finish was Campbell County, Simon Kenton, Ryle

Individual matches of interest:  125: Supe tech Cooper, Schneider maj Cooper; 130: Hale dec Lonkard

wow, was cooper that overrated? or did he just have a bad day? does anyone know?

Both guys were ranked ahead of him.  I wouldn't say overrated, just young, but very, very tough.

Both guys were ranked ahead of him.  I wouldn't say overrated, just young, but very, very tough.

supe is ranked at 119 though. and yeah schneider is ahead, but kirby had a better match with him and cooper, and cooper is higher than kirby...

supe is ranked at 119 though. and yeah schneider is ahead, but kirby had a better match with him and cooper, and cooper is higher than kirby...

Just found out Supe will stay at 125 and he is very, very close to Schneider (2a and 2b).  You can't judge things just by the score of the match.  You don't know if a guy is down by 3 or 4 and goes for a wild throw and ends up on his back to lose by 9 or if the guy stalled just to keep the match close in a close dual event.

Just found out Supe will stay at 125 and he is very, very close to Schneider (2a and 2b).  You can't judge things just by the score of the match.  You don't know if a guy is down by 3 or 4 and goes for a wild throw and ends up on his back to lose by 9 or if the guy stalled just to keep the match close in a close dual event.

yeah i guess you are correct on the score aspect of things. and what do you mean by he is close to schneider(2a and 2b)?

yeah i guess you are correct on the score aspect of things. and what do you mean by he is close to schneider(2a and 2b)?

They have gone back and forth and Supe was on fire at the end of the season last year.

I only have a few.

Team finish was Campbell County, Simon Kenton, Ryle

Individual matches of interest:  125: Supe tech Cooper, Schneider maj Cooper; 130: Hale dec Lonkard

Cooper High went 4-1 and finsihed 4th. 

Cooper 48 Newport 18

Cooper 54 Holmes 23

Cooper 24 Ryle 46

Cooper 48 Conner 33

Cooper 62 Dixie 12

Logan Jones (5-0 3pin), TJ Bates (4-0, 2pin), Lane Jones (3-0, 1pin: 4-2 Dec over Lonkard (Ryle))

Wow you mean Lonkard is their JV wrestler? 

And by the way.  How did they get away with sending their JV team to the NKAC.  As I understand it every team is required to send their Varsity team to the NKAC. 

Is this another show of arrogance by Ryle?

Ryle had some kids knocked out of the SWOWCA on Friday night and those kids wrestled on Saturday at the NKAC.  There were four that I can think of.  That shows the strength of the program to send what is mostly a B team to the conference and still finish 3rd.

Ryle saw great competition at the SWOWCA Holiday Classic and will benefit from that later in the year.  A trip to the state duals was the price that they paid.

for the record kevin cooper dominated kirby goodwine at superduals i don't believe conference was kevin's best performance he can do much better than what he showed this weekend

All you really need in the NKAC is a full team to compete at this tourney. 

I would guess that Campbell, Ryle, and Simon Kenton were the only teams with full teams at the NKAC.

With the forfeits you recieve from the other teams it is very easy to defeat them with a partial B team. 

I do however ask the question again. 

When did they change the rules in the Conference? 

For as long as I can remember eveery Northern Kentucky team is contracted to send their varsity team to the NKAC.  Not their JV team their Varsity team.

This to me seems to be Ryle snubbing their noses at the rest of the NKAC team.  I am certain that Campbell, Conner, and Simon Kenton could find more competitive tourneys on this same date.  But they choose to keep the integrity of the NKAC and the wretling community in Northern Kentucky.

All you really need in the NKAC is a full team to compete at this tourney. 

I would guess that Campbell, Ryle, and Simon Kenton were the only teams with full teams at the NKAC.

With the forfeits you recieve from the other teams it is very easy to defeat them with a partial B team. 

I do however ask the question again. 

For as long as I can remember eveery Northern Kentucky team is contracted to send their varsity team to the NKAC.  Not their JV team their Varsity team.

This to me seems to be Ryle snubbing their noses at the rest of the NKAC team.  I am certain that Campbell, Conner, and Simon Kenton could find more competitive tourneys on this same date.  But they choose to keep the integrity of the NKAC and the wretling community in Northern Kentucky.

Maybe you should stomp your feet and DEMAND an answer.  That always works for me. 

I am not an expert on the NKAC rules and will not claim to be.  I am a Ryle parent and I take offense to your claim of Ryle arrongance.  I am proud to be associated with this team and proud of our coaching staff.   Some of the finest in the state.  Our team has 2 tournaments on weekend several times throughout the season.  This is why we have 30-40 kids on our team......year after year.  They ALL get a chance to wrestle in tournaments.   I can assure you that there was no arrogance or "snub" to you or the wrestling community intended.

Maybe you should stomp your feet and DEMAND an answer.  That always works for me.     I can assure you that there was no arrogance or "snub" to you or the wrestling community intended.

Key word: intended

http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20081221/SPT0302/812210422&template=printart

December 21, 2008

Campbell Co. tops familiar foe | Well-acquainted Camels, Pioneers both go to state

By Marc Hardin | Enquirer contributor

Familiar foes faced off in the final wrestling match to decide the championship of Saturday's marathon, nine-hour Northern Kentucky Athletic Conference duals.

In the end, Campbell County wound up on top at the 11-team, round-robin meet, topping Simon Kenton 51-20 at Holmes.

The Camels, coached by Mike Bankemper, won 10 of 14 matches to subdue the Pioneers, coached by former Campbell County wrestler and Camels assistant coach Jim Wilbers, who wrestled and coached at Campbell under Bankemper.

Wilbers and Bankemper have remained friends and their teams wrestle each other often.

"These teams know each other very well. The kids know each other. So, no, there are no secrets, just good wrestling," said Bankemper.

His Camels finished 4-0 Saturday and improved to 13-1 in dual meets while earning an automatic berth in January's state dual-meet championships.

Simon Kenton, 4-1 on Saturday, also won a state dual-meet berth with its NKAC runner-up finish. The Pioneers improved to 8-5 in dual meets.

"Second place is good. It's a morale booster," said Wilbers, who earned his 98th career dual-meet victory Saturday in this his fifth season as Simon Kenton head coach. "This is good inspiration heading into the Christmas break."

Among the winners in the final match were Campbell County 145-pound junior Korey Shotwell, a state meet finalist last season, and 152-pound senior Dusty Brown, a third-place finisher at last season's state meet.

Brown, who transferred from Simon Kenton to Campbell County after his sophomore year, won all three of his matches Saturday and remained unbeaten on the season after defeating an old friend in the final match.

Brown, 4-0 after missing three weeks with an injured shoulder, defeated Simon Kenton junior Michael Beers.

"We've been friends since the sixth grade. I played youth football with him, so I know he's a pretty good athlete," said Brown, who needs to regularly ice his shoulder and take anti-inflammatory medicine. "I thought I did pretty good. My shoulder was sore after each match. But I'm going to wrestle through it, and it's going to be a good recovery."

Also winning for the Camels on Saturday were freshman Garth Yenter (103 pounds), senior Caleb Schneider (125), junior John Hale (130), junior Daniel Zink, sophomore Nick Meirose (171), junior Colin Friedly (189) and senior Jacob Ilig (215).

Schneider improved his record to 11-3.

"We like beating Simon Kenton. A lot of guys know each other and their coach used to help coach us," Schneider said. "Plus, this gives us a good chance to look at the competition from the region and get to know how they wrestle."

Among Simon Kenton winners in Saturday's final match were heavyweight Colin Patrick, 112-pounder Jared Yocum and Steven Norbury, who improved to 14-1 at 135 pounds.

Campbell County, Simon Kenton and Ryle, which did not travel with a full team, were Saturday's pool winners.

The Raiders, missing wrestlers competing at the Southwest Ohio Wrestling Coaches' Association Holiday Classic at Oak Hills, lost to the Camels and Pioneers in Saturday's second round, and finished the day 3-2.

First-year Cooper, drawing strength from wrestlers with previous experience at Conner and Ryle, was the top second-place team coming out of pool play and finished fourth at the duals with a record of 4-1.

Dixie Heights finished fifth, followed by Conner, Scott, Boone County, Newport, first-year Brossart and host Holmes.

Holmes wrestler Mark Jones, a returning state qualifier, improved to 11-0 at 189 pounds.

RYLE: Senior Will Hogben won the 171-pound championship as Ryle placed third in the Division I grouping at the Southwest Ohio Wrestling Coaches Association Glenn Sample Classic tournament at Oak Hills High School.

Seven Raiders placed in the 28-team event. Senior Jack Bradford nearly gave the Raiders a second individual champion but lost a 6-5 decision in the 189-pound title match against Andrew Tumlin of Harrison. Tumlin is a three-time state qualifier in Ohio, including finishing third at last season's Ohio's Division I state tournament.

Harrison won the Division I team title with 138 points. Ryle's 124 points left it three behind runner-up Princeton.

For as long as I can remember every Northern Kentucky team is contracted to send their varsity team to the NKAC.  Not their JV team their Varsity team.

This to me seems to be Ryley snubbing their noses at the rest of the NKAC team.  I am certain that Campbell, Conner, and Simon Kenton could find more competitive tourneys on this same date.  But they choose to keep the integrity of the NKAC and the wrestling community in Northern Kentucky.

The NKAC has changed several times in the last 10 years. 

To answer oldwrestler81 there is no original intent for the NKAC tournament.  Most if not all the northern Kentucky schools have joined the NKAC.  This group is intended to showcase Northern Kentucky athletics, not just wrestling.  They have a Hall of Fame and a coaches association. 

Originally the NKAC wrestling tournament was an individual tournament that all the local schools attended in late Dec. or early Jan.  The NKAC picked up the tab for the medals and the championship team picture plaque.  All the profit is divided among the teams that attend the tourney. 

A few years after the state duals came along they changed the format to a round robin duals tournament with individual awards for the wrestler with the best record at each wt. class.  This year it became a duals tournament with no individual awards because of the number of teams (11).

Since the state duals started region 6 has used the NKAC to determine the two teams to represent region 6 in the state duals even before it became a duals competition.

As for the contract to attend with your varsity team?  This is not 100 percent true. 

When I asked about not attending the NKAC because my dual team could not compete and I wanted my wrestlers to wrestle another tourney, I was told I could not do so.  I then asked if I could just send my best wrestler(s) to the NKAC. Which one year would have only been Glossy.  I was once again told I shouldn't because we are suppose to send our best possible team to the tourney.  (I wanted to send the rest of my team to a JV tourney because the rest were 1st year wrestlers or just not ready for a major tourney).  Last year we (Holmes) had 4 wrestlers at the event and after injury and weather only had 1 wrestler on the second day, but I still attended when my whole team would have been better served if they attended a tourney with an individual setting. 

Ryle had every right to send whomever they wanted to the NKAC, but it is greatly frowned upon.  So you are only half correct GOO. :-o

Not sure about any other NKAC coaches or wrestlers, but Coach Bankemper didn't indicate he felt snubbed or was upset about it at all.  He seemed to understand it was what Coach Ruschell thought was best for his team.  He may have been being PC, but he didn't act offended in any way.  I think that was not the intention and the ryle coaches just wanted their kids to get ready for what matters most - state (and beyond).

Does Simon Kenton actually intend on going to state duals this year because a few years back they opted not to go and that allowed Campbell (the thrid place team) to go instead.

Ryle had some kids knocked out of the SWOWCA on Friday night and those kids wrestled on Saturday at the NKAC.  There were four that I can think of.  That shows the strength of the program to send what is mostly a B team to the conference and still finish 3rd.

Ryle saw great competition at the SWOWCA Holiday Classic and will benefit from that later in the year.  A trip to the state duals was the price that they paid.

Does anyone know how the points system works.  Seems to me that if Ryle is maxed out in points for the season, those four would have to sit something out later (or the whole varsity lineup).  My point being that the classic and nkac are two seperate varsity events and should count that way.  Unless the rules don't apply if you are in a different area code or from Ryle.

Does anyone know how the points system works.  Seems to me that if Ryle is maxed out in points for the season, those four would have to sit something out later (or the whole varsity lineup).  My point being that the classic and nkac are two seperate varsity events and should count that way.  Unless the rules don't apply if you are in a different area code or from Ryle.

I'm pretty sure the coaches at Ryle would have considered that when they put the schedule together.

the point system is that you are allowed 17 weigh ins per squad.  Varsity has 17 and JV has 17. (NOT INCLUDING POST SEASON) 

If a team wrestles every saturday this year that is 11 weigh ins that leaves 6 weekday events.