Sign in to follow this  
dinubus

Region 5 Rankings - 12/15/08

to be honest the weight loss plan was a good idea, but doesnt work. there are plenty of ways to get around it, and kids and coaches alike are doing them.

Like threequarter said, it's not perfect.  But it's a step in the right direction.  Something had to be done from the old school days.  When I coached m.s. wrestling a few years back, I had parents so worried that I was going to make their kids starve and lose 5 lbs they didn't want to let their kids go out for wrestling.  That was based on the perception of wrestling from back in their high school days.  The weight management program has made that better even if it's not perfect.

My point of asking about this i guess is I think kids have different metabolisms and that a kid takes the test at the beginning of the season and gets pigeon holed into a spot.  But by the end of the season, he's way down close to the weight class below where the fat test said he could be at without trying.  I've seen a couple of cases of this happening, 1 with a kid that made the finals last year.  I would think in cases like that, there could be a re-assessment or something.  Doesn't sound like there is.

3/4, I will make the correction.  I thought it was Rusch rather than Richardson.

Eagle, is that the only time Richardson and Nyitrai and Bisneius wrestled?  Who won the most matches?

Oh I was just messin' cuz Nyitrai is stayin at 125 anyway, but I believe Nyitrai and Bisenius have split matches with Nyitrai winning the most recent, and Nyitrai has beaten Richardson everytime they've wrestled the most recent by a tech

Like threequarter said, it's not perfect.  But it's a step in the right direction.  Something had to be done from the old school days.  When I coached m.s. wrestling a few years back, I had parents so worried that I was going to make their kids starve and lose 5 lbs they didn't want to let their kids go out for wrestling.  That was based on the perception of wrestling from back in their high school days.  The weight management program has made that better even if it's not perfect.

My point of asking about this i guess is I think kids have different metabolisms and that a kid takes the test at the beginning of the season and gets pigeon holed into a spot.  But by the end of the season, he's way down close to the weight class below where the fat test said he could be at without trying.  I've seen a couple of cases of this happening, 1 with a kid that made the finals last year.  I would think in cases like that, there could be a re-assessment or something.  Doesn't sound like there is.

You are not restricted by your body fat testing technically. You can get a doctor's note saying you are healthy to wrestle at whatever your weight is, even if it is below the minimum weight allowed by alpha testing. So if you think you are healthy enough to go below the weight it says, get a doctor's note. Simple as that.

You are not restricted by your body fat testing technically. You can get a doctor's note saying you are healthy to wrestle at whatever your weight is, even if it is below the minimum weight allowed by alpha testing. So if you think you are healthy enough to go below the weight it says, get a doctor's note. Simple as that.

If your body fat is below 7%  you are required to get a physician clearance.  However, you are prohibited from dropping to any weight class below your alpha weight at the time of testing.  Even if a doctor says you are healthy enough to drop further, you cannot.

question.  Is it better to wrestle at your natural weight or cut weight to get to a lower weight class?  I would think a kid at his natural weight would have a strength and energy advantage over a kid that has to drop 8 pounds every week.  New to wrestling so just curious about this.

question.  Is it better to wrestle at your natural weight or cut weight to get to a lower weight class?  I would think a kid at his natural weight would have a strength and energy advantage over a kid that has to drop 8 pounds every week.  New to wrestling so just curious about this.

it depends on your body, and who is at what weight. if you are used to cutting the weight, then it doesnt affect you as much as it would affect someone new to cutting. but there is also no reason to cut down to a lower weight, if that weight has more depth than the one you are currently at. many wrestlers have a lot of success not cutting weight, and many have a lot of success when they cut weight, it just all depends.

My opinion is that it's better to be fairly lean in this sport.  But dropping 8 lbs each week will take it's toll and usually at the worst possible time - end of season/state.  There is a great book out there that talks all about this stuff called The grapplers guide to sports nutrition.  

http://www.amazon.com/Grapplers-Guide-Sports-Nutrition/dp/0977430901/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229729116&sr=8-1

In that book, the author says that being at 7% body fat is not necessarily a kid's idea weight for peak performance.  (something like that).  The book is pretty technical really about what to eat and all that stuff but it's really informative.

ive been cutting 7 punds every week for three years...guess thats why i have gotten sick at regionals and state the last three years...

ive been cutting 7 punds every week for three years...guess thats why i have gotten sick at regionals and state the last three years...

maybe you should try wrestling your natural weight this year? really, its usually beneficial for kids to do this.

maybe you should try wrestling your natural weight this year? really, its usually beneficial for kids to do this.

i tried wrestling 130 my sophmore year, and wasnt nearly strong enough, thats when i decided to make the jump to 25. i feel i could be strong enough this year, but my team needs me at 125. besides ive already made the commitment to wrestling 125, ill finish there. i seem to be doing better this year than previously.

i tried wrestling 130 my sophmore year, and wasnt nearly strong enough, thats when i decided to make the jump to 25. i feel i could be strong enough this year, but my team needs me at 125. besides ive already made the commitment to wrestling 125, ill finish there. i seem to be doing better this year than previously.

well if it wasn't your senior year, then i would tell you to hit the weights, and hard. but i'll say it anyways so that younger kids reading this can understand. HIT THE WEIGHTS, AND HARD! lol

well if it wasn't your senior year, then i would tell you to hit the weights, and hard. but i'll say it anyways so that younger kids reading this can understand. HIT THE WEIGHTS, AND HARD! lol

i hit the weights for a year straight, and yeah it made a difference, but to be honest. i saw the biggest difference when i started doing pullups, dips, and pushups. you would be amazed at how much it helps you, especially how much more it helps you than bench, squats, and curls.

You both have been right.  Cutting a weight class (8 lbs) is not an issue.  However, cutting 8 lbs each week is bad.  You need to eat right and lose the 8 lbs by eating salads and drinking plenty of water.  Then you can pick up a few more carbs prior to wrestling after your weight is down.  This will give you the energy to compete in practice and at meets.

i hit the weights for a year straight, and yeah it made a difference, but to be honest. i saw the biggest difference when i started doing pullups, dips, and pushups. you would be amazed at how much it helps you, especially how much more it helps you than bench, squats, and curls.

when i first joined the navy, i was lifting weights 4 days a week, and they told me to just to a bunch of pushups, as many as i could do. and i really think that doin the pushups has been more beneficiary than the weights...

the real quandry is what about the kid that needs to put on weight for soccer football golf and baseball does he then try to take it off for wrestling.  he is fighting against himself all year long

the real quandry is what about the kid that needs to put on weight for soccer football golf and baseball does he then try to take it off for wrestling.  he is fighting against himself all year long

thats when you have to make a decision which sport your going to dedicate yourself to, and stick with that one sport.

you dont necasarily have to stick to one sport, but i would choose whats more imortant, football, or wrestling. if its wrestling, stay lean, if its football, pack on the pounds with protein.

oh btw, i dont know about anyone else, but ive never heard of anyone wanting to gain weight for golf...

you dont necasarily have to stick to one sport, but i would choose whats more imortant, football, or wrestling. if its wrestling, stay lean, if its football, pack on the pounds with protein.

oh btw, i dont know about anyone else, but ive never heard of anyone wanting to gain weight for golf...

golfers actually lift weights... tiger woods probably lifts weights more than most people in sports, but then again thats why hes the best golfer ever.

but i played football my freshman year as well as wrestled and baseball, and its really hard. in order to be good at wrestling, you have to go to camps and what not all over the summer and its kind of impossible to do this on top of baseball and football conditioning and weight lifting. i just feel like you have to commit to one sport, if your a wrestler that is. its easy to place basketball, and football, and baseball.

well thats why i said you have to choose which one you prefer. you can do all of them, but to excell you have to give more time to one or the other. so if its wrestling, give more time to that, and go to camps, and do baseball stuff, only in the baseball season. besides i highly doubt wrestling would get you out of shape for any sport. vice versa if your sport is baseball. make wrestling the thing that you do only during its season, and the other sports are the ones you spend your spare time going to camp for. i do understand what you are saying however, but it is manageable if doing more than one sport is your thing.

i aplaud anyone that wants to do more than one sport. maybe im biased because wrestling is the hardest sport out there, and so it makes me not want to do anything else ever cause im always so drained, but idk. i need the 8 months off we get to prepare for next season :-D

well thats why i said you have to choose which one you prefer. you can do all of them, but to excell you have to give more time to one or the other. so if its wrestling, give more time to that, and go to camps, and do baseball stuff, only in the baseball season. besides i highly doubt wrestling would get you out of shape for any sport. vice versa if your sport is baseball. make wrestling the thing that you do only during its season, and the other sports are the ones you spend your spare time going to camp for. i do understand what you are saying however, but it is manageable if doing more than one sport is your thing.

i aplaud anyone that wants to do more than one sport. maybe im biased because wrestling is the hardest sport out there, and so it makes me not want to do anything else ever cause im always so drained, but idk. i need the 8 months off we get to prepare for next season :-D

i just thought of one exception to this, Jordan Whiting. But the exceptions to these rules usually are at HWT, and they usually excel at football.

i just thought of one exception to this, Jordan Whiting. But the exceptions to these rules usually are at HWT, and they usually excel at football.

yeah, you are very right. i dont think jordan whiting has a problem watching his weight, when its aloud to be 285...

i was looking at the national rankings a couple days ago, and it shows what college they've committed to, and like 5 of the top 10 hwts committed to a school for football. its crazy. i guess the aspect of maybe going pro one day is just to much to handle. the truth is maybe 2 of these kids will go pro...