Sign in to follow this  
out side sweep

most dominant

lets not forget about his 7th grade year, didnt he place that year as well?

I thought about this after i had posted the stats, but i didnt want to comment the same thread three consecutive times lol.

Yes as I mentioned in my last post will, barring a horrible injury or tournament, be a 6x state placer.  He placed 8th at 119 losing to Kellen Russell I believe from Ryle in the 7th place match.  Even Joe Joe won his first title at the middle school and underclassmen loaded 103; he wasn't even a starter as a 7th grader.

Jpizar,

I didn't know Kellen Russell wrestled in KY before going to Blair? why hasn't he been mentioned as one of KY's best?  :-D

Just messin with ya, I'm sure you meant Kellen Ashworth and just made a mental error.

It was Kellen Ashworth. His seventh grade year, his 3 losses at state were to Daniel Thueneman (as history would hold he went on to dominate Thueneman every time the two met from then on), Zach Peters, and Kellen Ashworth.

Seventh Grade Record: 40-6

Also lets not forget he is a 6 time regional champion. There is so much more to back up this kid its ridiculous; Beau Sanders was in his regional weight class i think 3 years? one of these years Beau placed 4th in the region and Harrison won... The year Harrison majored Beau in the finals, that was a regional rematch. How easy would it have been for him to overlook Beau and say im going to beat him just because i did in regionals, like Travis Sullivan with D.C. Evans.

Harrison had 3 losses in the whole season and went on to lose 3 at state, obviously a mental lapse. Nerves of a young wrestler.

It was Kellen Ashworth. His seventh grade year, his 3 losses at state were to Daniel Thueneman (as history would hold he went on to dominate Thueneman every time the two met from then on), Zach Peters, and Kellen Ashworth.

Seventh Grade Record: 40-6

Also lets not forget he is a 6 time regional champion. There is so much more to back up this kid its ridiculous; Beau Sanders was in his regional weight class i think 3 years? one of these years Beau placed 4th in the region and Harrison won... The year Harrison majored Beau in the finals, that was a regional rematch. How easy would it have been for him to overlook Beau and say im going to beat him just because i did in regionals, like Travis Sullivan with D.C. Evans.

Not taking anything away from Courtney, but how is an overtime match dominating someone everytime?

I know they had the overtime match in semifinals, but didn't he beat Thueneman pretty bad on other occasions? forgive me if im wrong. but he did pin Thueneman in that overtime match.

When I think about if a wrestler is great or not I think about if they could compete with the best out of state and I don't think Knable could.  I guess he proved that when he went to Indiana and got stomped in the room. 

Not sure if this is even credible.  Knable form what I recall was All Big 10 one year and wrestled at the NCAA tournament.  Not too many wrestlers from KY can make that claim. 

When comparing the top wrestlers I think you have to look at success at a national level.  State titles are great and should not be diminished but the top wrestlers are able to go beyond the state level and compete with the best from other states.

Ruschell from what I recall placed at Fargo and is obviously having success at the NCAA D1 level.  What about Knable and Courtney?  How do their national level accomplishments in HS compare?  What other KY wrestlers have had success at Fargo, Beast, Ironman, Senior Nationals, etc.??

I know they had the overtime match in semifinals, but didn't he beat Thueneman pretty bad on other occasions? forgive me if im wrong. but he did pin Thueneman in that overtime match.

i dont care what anyone else thinks or says, thueneman would not have gotten pinned if it wasnt overtime. i mean come on, it was overtime, courtney already won whether thueneman got off his back or not, why fight? some could say for pride, but his pride was already broken cause he had already lost the match. i dont give courtney anymore credit for pinning thueneman than he already gets for winning in the first place.

Ruschell from what I recall placed at Fargo and is obviously having success at the NCAA D1 level.  What about Knable and Courtney?  How do their national level accomplishments in HS compare?  What other KY wrestlers have had success at Fargo, Beast, Ironman, Senior Nationals, etc.??

Very few wrestlers even go to these tournaments. It is so discouraging to know that every year we have 3-4 kids going to these tournaments from Kentucky. there is no way possible for us as a state to get better or for anyone else to know that we got better unless we compete at these top notch tournaments.

i dont care what anyone else thinks or says, thueneman would not have gotten pinned if it wasnt overtime. i mean come on, it was overtime, courtney already won whether thueneman got off his back or not, why fight? some could say for pride, but his pride was already broken cause he had already lost the match. i dont give courtney anymore credit for pinning thueneman than he already gets for winning in the first place.

I can somewhat agree with this statement. Technically though, the match was not over yet, Thueneman could have rolled Courtney somehow and pinned him. Thats the only way he could have won. But as for the pride part, I think, 9/10 wrestlers would have tried to fight off of their back. Just saying...

Anyone remember what move Courtney used to put Thueneman on his back in ot? TC125?

i dont remember what move, but actually it was overtime, first takedown wins, im pretty sure that even if thueneman had reversed him to his back, courtney would have won. i think that the rule is as soon as the first takedown is scored, the match is over, unless one is on their back in which case, the match goes on until they are either off their back, or they get pinned. can anyone clarify the rule?

i know what you mean about fighting off your back, but honestly if i had taken harrison courtney to OVERTIME, and then my shot at beating him was shattered, i dont think i could have fought off my back either.

i know what you mean about fighting off your back, but honestly if i had taken harrison courtney to OVERTIME, and then my shot at beating him was shattered, i dont think i could have fought off my back either.

agreed. i too was wondering about the rule. i think they may have allowed him to roll over and get the pin but im not sure. thats a rare situation.

CAN ANYONE CLARIFY THIS?

The 1st overtime is sudden victory. The 1st to score wins. If a wrestler is taken down directly to his back, he is allowed to try to complete the fall. This is for team points.

The 1st overtime is sudden victory. The 1st to score wins. If a wrestler is taken down directly to his back, he is allowed to try to complete the fall. This is for team points.

yeah thats what i figured it was...

that seems unfair... i think if you can turn the kid off your back and stick him you should be allowed to. but then again i can look at the other side of the debate and agree with it.

that seems unfair... i think if you can turn the kid off your back and stick him you should be allowed to. but then again i can look at the other side of the debate and agree with it.

If you can do that, you should do it before it gets to overtime.

Yeah once he had the take down it didn't matter if he rolled him or not.  I was in a similar situation my senior year.  Overtime match, I was taken down to my back, takedown was given(no near fall), then I reversed it.  It didn't matter because the other wrestler scored first.  If I remember right, Theunamen took a deep shot, and Courtney hit some type of Lateral drop or something on him to win the match.  That was a great match by the way.

If you can do that, you should do it before it gets to overtime.

I disagree. You should never be on your back in the first place  :wink:

It was a classic... at least one of my favorites.

Yeah once he had the take down it didn't matter if he rolled him or not.  I was in a similar situation my senior year.  Overtime match, I was taken down to my back, takedown was given(no near fall), then I reversed it.  It didn't matter because the other wrestler scored first.  If I remember right, Theunamen took a deep shot, and Courtney hit some type of Lateral drop or something on him to win the match.  That was a great match by the way.

yeah i think that was it, thueneman shot and almost finished it, then next thing anyone knew he was getting pinned...

yeah i think that was it, thueneman shot and almost finished it, then next thing anyone knew he was getting pinned...

im sure it must suck really bad to know that he was a few inches and a little effort away from altering history. in kentucky at least...

i think whats worse than that is travis sullivans loss last year to corey spencer... history was about to be made, and in 20 seconds, it was all erased... does anyone know of any other wrestler to be undefeated their entire highschool career?

im sure it must suck really bad to know that he was a few inches and a little effort away from altering history. in kentucky at least...

thueneman had a shot 2xs he could have changed history

thueneman had a shot 2xs he could have changed history

lol. i hope hes not reading any of this. that would suck for him.

yeah it prolly would bring back a lot of bad memories. anyway, does anyone know the answer to my question? has anyone else in kentucky wrestling history ever gotten as close to being undefeated there entire highschool career as travis did? besides harrison of course.

yeah it prolly would bring back a lot of bad memories. anyway, does anyone know the answer to my question? has anyone else in kentucky wrestling history ever gotten as close to being undefeated there entire highschool career as travis did? besides harrison of course.

I highly doubt it. And even Harrison isn't undefeated throughout high school. Remember Pat Banks freshman year? Larue Woodford state duals finals...

In sudden victory overtime the first wrestler who scores wins.  If someone is taken to their back then the wrestler who scored is allowed to work for the fall for team points.  If they are immediately flipped then the match is over, no points are given for a reversal; the first wrestler who scores wins the match, no exceptions.  This is why it is called sudden victory.

In the match you are talking about Harrison was up by like 5 points in the third period and Theuneman ended up coming back with like four straight takedowns.  I honestly thought Courtney would lose the match.  In overtime Theuneman shot a good double.  Courtney used his momentum against him and lateral dropped Theuneman to his back for the winning score.  He then worked for the fall and got it.  The two were evenly matched throughout their careers but I believe Courtney had the winning record by like 3 matches.  If my memory serves me correct Theuneman only won two of those meetings, one at the South Oldham tourney one year where Theuneman missed weight and wrestled up to Courtney's weight class and one at the state tourney Harrison's 7th grade year at 119.