dagger

Possible Region Alignment For 2008-09

I heard that these might be the new region alignment for 2008-09 wrestling season.

Region 1                Region 2              Region 3                  Region 4

UHA                      Apollo                  Central                    Ballard

Caldwell Co.            Central Hardin        Desales                    Eastern

Calloway Co.          Daviess Co.          Doss                        Fern Creek

Christian Co.          Fort Knox              Fairdale                    Jeffersontown

Fort Campbell          John Hardin          Holy Cross                KCD

Henderson Co.        LaRue Co.            Iroquios                    Manual

Hopkinsville            Meade Co.            KSB                          Moore

Paducah                North Hardin          PRP                          Seneca

Trigg Co.                Ohio Co.              Shawnee                  Southern

Union Co.                                          Valley                      St Xavier

Western                    Trinity

Region 5                  Region 6                Region 7                  Region 8

Anderson Co.            Boone Co.            Bourbon Co.              Ashland

Bullitt Central          Campbell Co.          Bryan Station            Johnson Cent.

Franklin Co.              Conner                  Harrison Co.              Lawrence Co.

Nelson Co.              Dixed Heights          Henry Clay                Letcher Co. Cen.

North Oldham          Holmes                  Lafayette                Onedie Bapt.

Oldham Co.              Newport                McCreary Cent.          Perry Co. Cent.

South Oldham          Ryle                      Paul Dunbar              Prestonburg

Western Hills            Scott                    Tates Creek              Sheldon Clark

Woodford Co.          Simon Kenton          Wayne Co.                Whitley Co.

I hope that wouldn't be true for the louisville area schools, Region 3 would be easy and region 4 would be super tough.  Central and Prp would probably take every person on their team in that case.  I would say it could be done with those teams, but you would have to split up the schools a little better.  maybe put southernand Moore on the region 3 side.

Region 3                  Region 4

Central                    Ballard

desales                    Eastern

Doss                        Fern Creek

Fairdale                    Jeffersontown

Holy Cross                KCD

Iroquios                    Manual

KSB                          Moore

PRP                          Seneca

Shawnee                  Southern

Valley                      St Xavier

Western                    Trinity

back in the 90s when i wrestled southern x and trinity were in the 3rd ksb and central were in the 4th i think and the 3rd was pretty tough but there are also a lot of new schools like holy cross manual and iroquios

Why would Whitley stay and Wayne and McCreary move out of region 8?

Whitley is next to McCreary county.

(OH OH my 1,000 post)  :-o :-o :-o :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :-D :-D :-D

that would be good for region 8. travel time from McCreary, Wayne ,and Whitley to Ashland, Johnson, or Sheldon Clark is just to long.

Harrison and Bourbon aren't exactly right next door though.

I don't especially like this.  Just when Bullitt Central and Meade were starting to build Region 3 they get moved and replaced with Central and KSB.  What sense does that make?  Central is a good addition, but not KSB.  Plus losing Southern (in addition to Meade and BC) makes the region weaker overall (not what needs to happen).  And I agree, Region 4 looks pretty ugly (Trinity, Seneca, St X, Fern Creek, Eastern, Moore).

I think they should put Fern Creek and Seneca in region 3, and take out a few of the weaker teams.  This would make the region a little more legit. 

That is not a bad suggestion, but it would be more logical to put St. X & Moore in Region 3 & leave Southern there as well.  Those 3 schools are little closer to the west side of town.  Then again, since they are all in Louisville, why couldn't they just split the programs up randomly.  Or at least the programs that are more centrally located in Louisville.  You would obviously leave schools like Shawnee, Central & Western in Region 3 and leave schools like Eastern and Ballard in Region 4, but schools like St. X, Trinity, Moore, Seneca & Southern who are located 1/2 way between the east and west side of town could be split between the 2 regions.  With this supposed realignment, Manual is in Region 4 and they are closer to schools like Shawnee, Western & Central than Fairdale is.

St.X in region 3 wouldnt be bad.  I just hate seeing a region that is so close be fairly deep, and then theres us.  Take the schools from region 3 and 4, and make both regions deep.  Maybe then I wouldnt have to hear about how crappy region 3 is on here.  On a side note Meade County should have there own region all to themeselves.  They are that GOOD!!!! lol

Re alignment is done to try and balance the regions out geographically not competitively.

It is almost impossible for you to align regions according to strength.  Teams that are strong teams some years are no longer strong teams in a few years.  Those teams that were weak teams become strong teams.

Just 4 years ago, St. X and Moore, and Central, would be considers weaker teams. Now they are at near the top.  Less than 10 years ago Ballard was considered a strong team.

When thinking of alignment you think geographically, try to cut down travel time.  You consider the regional tournament and what bracket must be used?  With this alignment every region has 9 teams.  This means that a regional tournament must be held on 2 days (at least one round on day 1) so to miss the 5 match rule.

grappler - while I agree you can't base realignment completely on competitiveness, it has to be a major consideration.  And right to your point on the regional bracket, it doesn't make sense what is proposed here for region 4.  They would most likely have a few brackets with more than 8 kids.  9 teams is not a problem when you have a few that are not full lineups.  But when you put 11 teams in a region and 6+ are at least close to fielding a full team.