Sign in to follow this  
risingtide160

Why would you?

If you have a kid in middle school who is doing well on the high school level, why would you bring the kid back down to wrestle middle school? It seems foolish to me taking a chance at getting him hurt in a middle school tourney and hurting his high school career.

Many middle schoolers are filling spots on the high school team to get experience.  Not all teams are located close enough to other programs to make middle school wrestling a successful program on its own.  They need to be able to shine in their own environment.

Wish unions middle school was allowed to wrestle with the high school. there are some guys that might make the lineup. School Board rule doesnt allow middle schoolers to participate in high school.

If the kids are that good to wrestle both high school and middle school then they deserve to go down to middle school and put the pedal to the metal.

I agree with coachJ on this.

If you have a kid in middle school who is doing well on the high school level, why would you bring the kid back down to wrestle middle school? It seems foolish to me taking a chance at getting him hurt in a middle school tourney and hurting his high school career.

Hes a middle school kid he has a team that needs him at state not some tournament that doesnt really matter in high school hes got 4 years for that :|

why in some high school regions one match will get you into state :|

I see your point Tide. It doesnt really make sense to me to take the chance on the kid getting hurt if he has the chance to do well on the high school level.Middle school wrestling is the opportunity to get you ready for high school wrestling so if the kid is ready for high school why take the chance on him getting hurt in a m.s. tourney. Noone goes to college from middle school, its what they do in high school that colleges care about but if the  m.s. kid can do it on the high school level it really doesnt make alot of sense to keep him wrestling m.s. Districts that dont allow m.s. kids on high school teams is a different story they have no choice even if they could place at high school state level. Just my opinion but from being in that position with my son,it was a no brainer.

we've had this discussion at the coaches meetings many times....and it's been a thread on this site before.  the reason it is not a rule is because most people feel it is a coaches decision on what is best for the kid.  1 h.s. coach will say "I'm not risking a possible injury - the kid is too valuable to my h.s. team" another h.s. coach will say "you only have 1 chance to be a m.s. state champ, let the kid compete".  It's a judgement call.  Personally, i feel it's an honor to be a m.s. state champ and it's important to the kids...let them compete. 

Are middle school wrestlers wrestling in high school only of there is an open spot on the high school team?

i wouldn't say so, a lot of them are legitimately the best in that spot.  josh johnson was a runner up as an 8th grader, Matt Sloan took 3rd as an 8th grader.

Something that must be considered is that the top 2 MS Wrestlers in each weight class go on to compete on Team Kentucky representing KY in Regional and National Duals. This alone is a good reason to have all MS wrestlers eligible to wrestle in our region and state competition. The best MS wrestlers should be representing Kentucky.

Something that must be considered is that the top 2 MS Wrestlers in each weight class go on to compete on Team Kentucky representing KY in Regional and National Duals. This alone is a good reason to have all MS wrestlers eligible to wrestle in our region and state compete. The best MS wrestlers should be representing Kentucky.

yes it gives the middle school kids a shot a nationals when if you have a kid that could place in high school but not go to nationals then dont you think that kid would want to go to nationals and maybe be an all american thats not something that happens alot in kentucky :|

would seem to me that it shouldn't be allowed for a middle schooler to take a high schoolers spot on a high school team no matter how good they are. I am not sure of the rules on this. Does each County have their own rules since Unions seems to be different?

would seem to me that it shouldn't be allowed for a middle schooler to take a high schoolers spot on a high school team no matter how good they are. I am not sure of the rules on this. Does each County have their own rules since Unions seems to be different?

Or to put it more directly, this is a High School program and I believe participation should be limited to those individuals who are in High School.  There are well developed programs for the athletes who are in middle school already.

i dont know about other schools but at our school and im sure at others its the best wrestler will wrestle

Or to put it more directly, this is a High School program and I believe participation should be limited to those individuals who are in High School.  There are well developed programs for the athletes who are in middle school already.

What about those numerous progtams that do not have middle school programs.  Should those wrestlers not wrestle at all?

This is a decision that will vary from person to person although ultimately it should be up to the coach.  Personally i think children should be able to enjoy their childhood and the pressure and stress at a H.S level is vastly different.  Sure the child may adapt today but how will it affect their entire development. Sometimes young coaches and overly enthusiastic parents forget the growth of a youth in this sport is a marathon and not a sprint.  I have seen kids actually hurt their development by bumping up from E.S to M.S or from M.S to H.S.  No matter the sport championships are won with fundamentals and many times wrestlers who bump up learn hundreds of more moves before they have mastered the the basics.  This is a grievous mistake that is rarely corrected and usually ends in frustration with the youth never fulfilling their true potential. 

I ve also seen some of the greatest technicians compete and many times the deciding factor was simply who had the best high crotch or who could score best off a sprawl.  Everyone likes plump juicy apples but most forget it is the development of the root system will decide how the tree will grow.

This is a decision that will vary from person to person although ultimately it should be up to the coach.  Personally i think children should be able to enjoy their childhood and the pressure and stress at a H.S level is vastly different.  Sure the child may adapt today but how will it affect their entire development. Sometimes young coaches and overly enthusiastic parents forget the growth of a youth in this sport is a marathon and not a sprint.  I have seen kids actually hurt their development by bumping up from E.S to M.S or from M.S to H.S.  No matter the sport championships are won with fundamentals and many times wrestlers who bump up learn hundreds of more moves before they have mastered the the basics.  This is a grievous mistake that is rarely corrected and usually ends in frustration with the youth never fulfilling their true potential. 

I ve also seen some of the greatest technicians compete and many times the deciding factor was simply who had the best high crotch or who could score best off a sprawl.  Everyone likes plump juicy apples but most forget it is the development of the root system will decide how the tree will grow.

i agree with all that was said right there