Sign in to follow this  
Olympic_wish

Why does South Oldham shake their coaches hand first?

Guest wrestler92

I think it is unsportsmanlike.  It's because he doesnt' even want his kids to shake the other coaches hand and so they do his first.  Not very classy I don't think.

Floyd Central in Indiana doesn't even shake the opposing coaches hand at all.  I thought that was odd.

Many other states don't shake hands withthe coaches, i'm not sure how it got started here.

Shaking hands with opposing coaches is a great thing and KY should be proud.  It shows class...if they do it right.

It has always puzzled me why SO does this.  At first, it bothered me, especially when their wrestler would rush in front of the opposing wrestler to shake their coaches hand first.  Now it just seems like an interesting tradition and I don't think anything of it.

I would be interested to hear if there is anything deeper in the meaning from one of the SO coaches or wrestlers. 

It makes me think that their coaches feel they are most important to their wrestlers and they really don't care about the other coaches.  It is not like the other coaches don't have other matches to think about or coach, so waiting that extra bit is probably bothersome.  I have wondered why the coaches don't just leave after the SO wrestler has went to their own coaches.  Course this could be viewed as unsportsmanlike too.  I guess it isn't the wrestler's fault what their coaches have told them to do.

Personnally I think shaking an opposing coaches hand is showing sportsmanship.  Its showing that they realize their opponent has gained from the knowledge of that coach and by shaking their hand they respect that coach for the time they have put into their opponent and the sport.

Maybe it's something the coach's have them do to like saying "put your trust in me while you are on the mat" or something like that.

I don't find it unsportsmanlike at all.

Maybe it's something the coach's have them do to like saying "put your trust in me while you are on the mat" or something like that.

I don't find it unsportsmanlike at all.

it started last year on north hardin with matt eck. it was nothing the coaches started. When asked why, his answer was out of respect for his coaches first and then the opposing coach. idk, sort of made us feel good. no disrespect is intended to the other coaches.

It's funny how people can a view situation differently.  I personally don't think it is unsportsmanlike & don't find it offensive in the least.  It bothers me more if a kid does not come to shake hands at all.  After all, they still do come shake the opposing coach's hand & more importantly, even though required, they shake their opponents hand first like everyone else does.

It actually started many years ago.  I don't think it's normally a problem except for the occassional time I have actually seen a SO wrestler jog ahead of his opponent and the coach go to his own kid first even if the other kid is there first.  But true they do shake the other coaches hand and are usually one of the better overall sportsmanship teams in the state.

it started last year on north hardin with matt eck. it was nothing the coaches started. When asked why, his answer was out of respect for his coaches first and then the opposing coach. idk, sort of made us feel good. no disrespect is intended to the other coaches.

It actually started many years ago.  I don't think it's normally a problem except for the occassional time I have actually seen a SO wrestler jog ahead of his opponent and the coach go to his own kid first even if the other kid is there first.  But true they do shake the other coaches hand and are usually one of the better overall sportsmanship teams in the state.

"One of the better overall sportsmanship teams" are you sure?  To listen to the North Oldham people on here you would think SO were down right evil :evil:

Well that's probably because they are rivals.  I coached against them for many years at J-town and they were always good.

"One of the better overall sportsmanship teams" are you sure?  To listen to the North Oldham people on here you would think SO were down right evil :evil:

Well that's probably because they are rivals.  I coached against them for many years at J-town and they were always good.

Being the Coach of North Oldham, South isn't evil.  They are our rival, and it's a solid, fun rivalry.  We enjoy it up at North, and will give South Oldham alot of credit for making us a better team.

You are right, it is always good to see you two go at it and is much more competitive in recent years, great job. 

Being the Coach of North Oldham, South isn't evil.  They are our rival, and it's a solid, fun rivalry.  We enjoy it up at North, and will give South Oldham alot of credit for making us a better team.

You are right, it is always good to see you two go at it and is much more competitive in recent years, great job. 

Don't forget Oldham Co in all of that.  It's a good three way rivalry.

I think it is to show that they are thanking their coach for getting them to where they are at that point in time, I can understand after a win, but if they lose it makes sense to shake the other coaches hand first. I like to shake the other coaches hand first, it takes less time to get the next match started...

I've actually ask one of the older guys on South's team about this and he said that it is so that incase of a match being violent, or otherwise out of hand the South coach can get his undercontrol rather than the kid running and shaking the opposing coaches hand and then doing something stupid.. e.g. Throwing headgear trying to fight a kid like Luna a few years ago. So overall, it's a good thing. 

I've actually ask one of the older guys on South's team about this and he said that it is so that incase of a match being violent, or otherwise out of hand the South coach can get his undercontrol rather than the kid running and shaking the opposing coaches hand and then doing something stupid.. e.g. Throwing headgear trying to fight a kid like Luna a few years ago. So overall, it's a good thing. 

That is the most reasonable explaination I have heard yet...

Wow, that explanation actually makes sense and whether it is true or not, I'm actually inclined to believe it and think it is a pretty good idea.  Maybe we should all adopt that policy.

I don't buy this explanation.  Meaning I don't agree with it.

A wrestler shows the biggest respect to their coach by not embarrassing them and by being a good sport.

This in my opinion is being able to hold your temper after a match and being able to confront your opponent and his coach with a handshake and acknowledgment of a match well fought.

As a coach I would think I would want to congratulate my opponent first out of respect. 

i agree with grappler...i had a match against southern where i lost, i controlled my temper and shook the guys hand and the coaches and even hugged blakemore and said congrats to him and i was about to kill someone cuz i couldnt believe what happened...its just respect for giving it all that you have in a match wheather you hate the coach or whatever